A&P So, tell me what you think, help me get better at this shit.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MSIGuy, Jul 27, 2009.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So I hung out with some guys from a local car forum last night and shot some pictures. I wanted to try my hand at lighting cars with flashes and found out it's a lot harder than it sounds.

Yeah, some of them are kinda meh, and there are reflections in a lot of them but I haven't got a CPL yet and it was my first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I'm looking for advice on:

How to minimize reflections (I know... CPL, but any other ways till I get one?)
    How do I deal with the reflection in things like license plates and headlights?
    What can be done about cars that have lots of swirl marks and buffer trails? Will a CPL help get rid of those or do I just need to learn to place my lights better?
    What's the best way to deal with nasty ass mixed lighting in parking garages or street lights? (I know, find a better location...)

I've got a couple more to post (internet sucks right now) that I thought were cool shots but were ultimately ruined by swirls in the paint. I'll throw those up in a little bit, sorry.

Thanks for the look!

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

prelude crew :coold:

3. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

#1 already has a load of comments from another thread you posted.

2 There's no light on the side of the car facing the camera.

#3 It's purely subjective, but photography wise, there's nothing interesting about an engine shot like this. it might make some boy racer wet himself, but as an art form, you might as well have shown me a pic of the dirty-ass 2.8L v6 out of my windstar.

#4 Change your metering mode. Your camera metered for the scene as a whole, which left your subjects so dark that the one is hard to see, and the other is practically non-existent.

#5 Again the fill light issue. this is FAR more important with a dark colored car than it is with white, but it's an issue either way. you can't really see the car in this shot.

#6 Again you've got a light issue. the reflections from the magnesium streetlight are cool, and perhaps you could have used that to your advantage. if you get the chance to shoot this car again, use the same spot, but back the car up by a length or two.

4. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

As far as swirls in the paint, work with a well detailed car. I can't even notice that shit myself, as right now, you've got bigger issues to worry about.

5. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Honestly, on most I can't tell you were even using strobes, except for the reflections.

How many strobes? I think you need to kill more of the ambient. Were you using ttl? Try going manual.

6. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

1 and 3 were the only ones I used my lights on, and they were in manual.

7. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: ok that explains it. I was like did he turn them off or what?