GUN so talk me out of (or into) this gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AVengeance, Oct 9, 2008.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=13015&return=Y

[​IMG]

Caliber:9mm LugerCapacity:15 RoundsFinish:BluedGrip:Black SyntheticBarrel Length:3.9"Groove:6Twist:1:10" RHOverall Length:7 1/4"Weight:27 ozCalifornia Approved:NoMassachusetts Approved:NoFront Sight(s):FixedRear Sight(s):FixedOther Features:Manual Safety / Firing Pin BlockSuggested Retail Price:$ 393.00

I found it for just under $350, new.
    15 rd. mag, fairly small, has a short rail under bbl for mounting accessories. The controls are ambidextrous, which is good for me, since I'm a lefty, and so is one of my kids.

Extras with this
    Product include:
    ·Instruction Manual
    ·Lock
    ·Case
    ·Magazine Loader
    ·2 15-Shot Magazines

So what does the OT gun crew think? This would not be for home protection (that's what the cat, the taser, the sword, and the shotgun are for ) This is for mobile defense, plinking, teaching my kids handgun safety and shooting, and as a sidearm when hunting (you can get 10rd mags for it). I figure I'll go ahead and take the local handgun safety course and apply for my CCW permit (and my ladies, too).

2. Other than the low price and ambi controls I don't see what this gun does that any Glock wouldn't do better. The Ruger's a fine gun, but there are better guns you can get.

3. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Couldn't find Glocks that were price-competitive for similar models, at least not where I went.

Point me to a @ $350 9mm Glock w/ ambi controls and 15rd mag, and I might consider it. My dad has always had good experience with Rugers he's owned (I've never owned a Ruger... yet).

4. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Easy: It's ugly as sin.

Oh, AND Bill Ruger.

5. attomica

attomica Active Member

I had a Ruger P series 9mm (P89DC) as my first gun and I loved it. They're so solid. I miss that piece. I liked that it had an exposed hammer versus the striker the Glock's and XDs have.

I think for your stated purposes, it would be a great choice.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Would recommend you save for the glock.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here's the skinny on the Ruger.

They are a solid gun for the weekend warrior that just wants to get out every once in a while and punch holes in a target. They are built like tanks, but coincidentally, they weigh as much as one too. Their ergonomics are also not very good, as it is a big frame, so it is for someone with bigger hands. Because of the size and weight they would not be ideal for CCW, but if all it's ever going to do is go in and out of a pistol case, it'll do.

The trigger has a horribly long pre and over travel. The reset is extremely long, making quick double taps challenging to even a skilled shooter. And there isn't a lot you could do to help it like you could most other pistols.

To top it off, it's not very aesthetically pleaseing to most. And if you are like some folks that like to customize their pistol for performance, there's not a lot of aftermarket parts, nor a lot if any pistol smith's that specialize in customizing one.

Within your criteria, there are actually a lot of guns I would recommend that I have either shot or owned.

I would look at 3rd generation Smith and Wesson Autos 59xx series or the 39xx series. I own one and they are stone cold reliable, but considerably lighter, better ergonomics and can be had in the 300-500 price range.

Another great gun that could suit your preference is the Taurus 92 series. Very good shooter that can be had in that price point.

But if you look around you can also find a CZ 75 in that price range. My buddy picked up a EAA TZ75 that he shoots in production that is also a solid gun. It is a clone to the CZ 75, but EAA is a very good clone and one can be had brand new for 350-400. Also look at the EAA Match for $400, another overlooked gun that is rock solid and meets all of your criteria.

These are all guns that are around 300-400, ambi controlled and metal guns that I feel are a much better choice over the Ruger P series.

google is your friend...

9. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I was wary of the Taurus I saw. I liked the look and feel of it, but I'd :hs: never heard of it before.

So if the Taurus is decent, I'll have the guy put both on the table, and mentally juggle them... take home which ever one I like the most.

Handling the Ruger, it seemed pretty light. Maybe heavy for it's overall displacement, but I can't imagine shooting a bullet from a gun made of cotton candy. It's gotta weigh SOMETHING.

I'm using to using 12ga., my AR15, and my dad's long-nosed .22 revolver. All these little guns feel like airsoft to me:mamoru:
    Just want something I can conceal. For a cannon hanging off a belt, I'd like to get a nice, shiney revolver. That's down the road, though, providing the zombie attack doesn't happen.

I'm predicting a ROUGH winter, though.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Man a ruger then taurus...whats with the mediocre guns? :big grin:

11. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Minus well recommend a Kel-Tec next :o

If you're going to ask for advice, you shouldn't spurn it. AB13 gave you a quality recommendation. CZ's are excellent guns, and fit your requirements.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I came in to say the exact same thing AB did.... Creepily verbatim.

2nd gen Glock 17's (usually police trade-ins) can be had pretty cheap these days (check CDNN).

Also, so can CZ's. My 40b cost me $275:
    [​IMG]

My 75' SA and all that you see was $325 ($350ish by the time it made it to my door):
    [​IMG]

I snagged a Kahr CW9 w/ 2 mags for $325 at a gunshow once.

Deals are out there, especially now..... Start checking the various 'boards and auction sites, and go browsing. Carry cash, and don't be afraid to haggle with someone. If you are on a budget, I'd much rather be buying used goods of repute, then new mediocre stuff. The Ruger doesn't suck, and you CANT hurt them, I just think there are better things for the money out there.

14. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Not spurnin', still learnin'

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I just came. Those CZs are fucking hot.

16. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I don't understand how someone can complain about the long trigger travel on the Ruger and then go on to recommend a CZ. :mamoru:

They're great guns, and I shoot well with them, but the triggers are like a mile long.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

None of mine are (or will be) stock. The triggers stock will break in to be usable, but it's no big deal to upgrade them into being badass.

I like mine, and need to get on with slicking it up. It's sitting torn down in various plastic baggies, as it has been for a while now. It sorta got put on the backburner after I picked up some other projects. It's eventually going to get a SAO trigger, and some other upgrades.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  18. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Simple don't buy a ruger

19. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

M dad has a Ruger P90. Never really cared for it.

20. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I like my P95. It's a tank and eats any shitty ammo I use. I don't compete with it or carry, but it's great to let my noob friends use. I haven't had any issues in a couple thousand rounds

21. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Ok, I went with the Ruger. I laid my hands on a Taurus and a Glock. Taurus didn't have quite the right feel, and my wallet tried to scurry out of my back pocket when I picked up the Glock.

Ruger P95 it is!

I've fired 6 shots out of it so far, and I like the feel. I do need a training course, though. I'm kinda left kinda ambidextrous, and I need some pointers on two-handed holds.

In for stance pointers.:x:

22. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

Best stance you could take would be in front of the customer service counter trying to return the pistol saying you made a mistake....

23. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

Seriously. Glock is the better gun but I would never say that is uglier than a glock.

24. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

All glocks are ambi....well, I'm pretty sure the SF models are anyway. At least as far as the trigger, the safety, and the mag release.

25. AB13

AB13 New Member

The difference is, as I stated you can do something about the CZ, you can't find anyone that makes a trigger kit or a good smith that can work on the Ruger. But I agree, the stock CZ trigger is a little long. But on the other side of that coin, some of the sweetest aftermarket trigger jobs I've ever felt were on a CZ.

But now that's after the fact. Enjoy your new gun OP.