GUN So, talk me out of buying an SU-16, and into building an AR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 3x, Oct 14, 2009.

1. 3x

3x New Member

I know a bunch of you guys hate the SU-16 (or Kel-Tec in general) and all, but it seems like a pretty nice starting point for me. Plus it's in my budget right now. The AR can always come later and if I'm going to somehow screw something up, I'd rather it be a Kel-Tec than an AR I've invested 1000+ in.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I could save up and build an AR. Not sure what direction I want to go in, as I have absolutely no clue on where to start, but I do know I'd want a BB so I can have all the evil features.

I'm in California...so yeah...

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

AR's are great rifles and well worth the small hassle of a Bullet Button IMO. I looked at both the SU-16 and Mini-14 when deciding if it would be worth it to build my own AR, and I'm glad I went with the AR. Also, you don't have to spend $1k+ on an AR, $700 can get you a nice AR that will beat the hell out of the SU-16.
    If you don't want to build it yourself (even though it's not hard at all,) you can try to buy one already set up from a local dealer or you might want to look into a CMMG Bargain Bin rifle with a middleman to install a bullet button for you.

3. 3x

3x New Member

Yeah I talked to CMMG, they said they won't ship to CA- and going the middle man route seems to be tedious and not worth the extra cost.

I may be going to Irvington tomorrow to look at some OLL, my only concern is that this AR build won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the insight though, hopefully somebody can lead me through the process of AR building. Any good forums I should sign up on to read more on AR building in CA?

4. If you're concerned that the AR will be expensive, tell us what you want to do with it and we can help you pick out some parts options. That way, you'll have a good idea of the cost before you invest any money into it.

5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Good guys over at Irvington. I do quite a bit of business there. Talk to Rich if you want some advice on AR's. He's their "AR guy", but the other guys are knowledgable too if Rich isn't there. My buddy has a spare 16" upper if you are interested. Send me a PM.

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Your ar's gonna explode and jam to the point you cant use it before a 100rds so I wouldnt

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

DSArms has some uppers on sale for $275 right now. Coleman tyler has cheap assembled lowers (don't know if they ship to CA though you'll have to investigate). Add a bolt/carrier, charging handle, and a rear sight and you're done.

(and skip the keltec shit ;) )

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I'm also local to the Bay so if you have any questions AR related, pm me.

9. JP

JP Active Member

I have one Mosnter man featurless build Ar lower and one RADDlock lower, both are awesome.

10. JP

JP Active Member

and this

best treatment for black rifle disease in california

11. 3x

3x New Member

Thanks a lot for your guys' input and eagerness to help out, I was half expecting responses like in the main forum :o

I just came in here to check up on this thread. I don't want to flood you guys with all my noob AR questions, so I'll check out calguns.net, and I actually think I have an account there from a couple of years ago.

Heading to class now though, I'll PM you good folks later :wavey:

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

only for the FNGs IMHO. After not very long, it gets fucking annoying over there.

13. What use do you have in mind for the gun? Do you want to shoot long range with it, plink at short range with it, what?

14. JP

JP Active Member

i only have like 8 posts :rofl:

i go to read up on 2nd amendment forum and the dealer marketplace once in a while.

he needs this
    http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I had a fuckton of posts back in the day, then a bunch of the posters turned out to be fascists (in thought atleast), and I decided to gtfo, since it wasn't interesting anymore anyways.

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

buy the AR and do yourself a favor.

:coold: or buy three:

[​IMG]

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol i posted on there yesterday. first time in like a year or 18 months. the website is fucking weird. in the politics/law subforum 90% of the threads on page 1 are about AB962.

ITS CALLED POST IN ONE THREAD FAGGOTS

18. JP

JP Active Member

i need a new handguard and a sling :o

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  19. 3x

3x New Member

This AR will probably be used mostly for short range plinking, as well as shooting tight groups (eventually) out to, and past, 100 yards from time to time.

Can any of you guys give me an idea of how much a decent OLL will run me? And how much it'd cost to integrate a BB, unless they already come with them?

From then on I think I can slowly piece it together after that. I was also curious as to whether or not foreend grips are interchangeable on uppers, or are they specific to each upper?

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver---DSZM4CBU/productinfo/DSZM4CBU/
    ^^ That's looking pretty good to me at this point just because of price, but any of you guys have any input on it? And how does one acquire an upper...I was told that since it is not an operable firearm it can be shipped straight to my door without an FFL? I may be completely wrong :o Anybody want to to suggest another upper that's better for not toooo much more money? I'd ideally like to spend less than 400 on an upper.

20. JP

JP Active Member

Yes the upper can ship straight to your door, only thing you need the ffl for is the OLL itself. A lower should run you about 150 after DROS and tax. RADDlock or BB is about 25-35 bucks. lower parts kit about 60 then you need a buttsctock kit (another 100 or so) to finish the lower off.

and some 10 round mags for your new build

21. 3x

3x New Member

Are most OLL sold stripped? What does the lower parts kit consist of?

22. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

You can buy everything except the lower receiver from any vendor and have it shipped to you. THe lower receiver will need to come from an FFL, whether you buy it from them or it's a dealer transfer.

23. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

They can be bought either way, stripped or built. If they're already assembled, they need to be made compliant.

24. JP

JP Active Member

yep

local stores that will sell you an OLL fully built will make it compliant for you for a fee.

25. 3x

3x New Member

Thanks for the help guys. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger right now on this DSA upper is whether or not the fore end grip is replaceable or not- I'm new to AR's so I have no clue. I'd eventually like to put a rail system up there, or something similar to Paul Revere's AR in the bottom of the pic.

Do I have to buy the upper like that, or can I put it on myself?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=458552&page=1

I'm about to spend the next hour reading that thread :o