A&P So should I become a Digital Rebel sackrider too?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by insomnia, Feb 6, 2005.

1. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I am new to the hobby and looking for a good starter camera. I have a Cannon S70 now but looking for something much better. Is this an alright starter camera?

Also where is a good place to get one? I've seen prices around 8---1k with a fair amount of accessories, this a good price? Thanks :hs:

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Get d70 instead unless you have canon lenses.

the new 200$ rebate for d70 kit makes it so much more sweeter

3. insomnia

insomnia New Member

How does the d70 compare to the cannon? And do you have a link to that rebate?

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

The D70 takes photos while the cannon blows things up. :rofl:

The Canon does not have as many features as the D70 and is a little more neutered than the Nikon, especially in the way of speed and focus.

The Nikon has a larger buffer, more freedom when it comes to settings and the kit version comes with a much better lens.

The DReb is not a bad camera, but you are getting a lot more for your money with the Nikon and if you plan on shooting anything with faster moving objects (such as sports of any kind) you will be much happier with the Nikon.

5. insomnia

insomnia New Member

Sorry for the mispellings, it's late here :hsugh:

I'll be mostly doing outdoors shooting, alot of aviation pictures too. Thanks for the advice :hs:

6. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

the drebel was great for me. It was either that or a canon g5 or something similar and so the jump to digital rebel was a small one for me.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Haha, I just had to try to be funny.

If you are doing aviation photography I think that you should really consider the Nikon instead. Here's why.

The way the Rebel is neutered in its focus is that you cannot use the AI Servo focus mode while using an exposure mode other than the programmed sports mode.

AI Servo allows the AF to track a moving object, so if the plane is coming toward or away from you the focus can follow it and adjust.

The Rebel can do that if you use the sports mode, but it cant do it in any other mode. Now, as soon as you know anything about shooting you want more control than that, you may want to use manual or one of the priority modes, such as aperture priority so you can control your depth of field.

There is no way with the Rebel to use AI Servo focus and another exposure mode at the same time.

So, if you are planning on shooting anything moving, I would look at the Nikon instead of the Rebel. If you really have to have a Canon then I would consider either spending a little more and get a 20D or get a used 10D instead, you will be much better off.

8. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I've been researching for the past 2 weeks, and I ended up buying the Nikon D70 with kit lens today for $1,103 - $200 Nikon rebate.

In addition, I purchased the Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF Zoom-Nikkor lens among other things. Will probably pickup the SB-600 flash in the next month or so.

I usually do all of my shopping with B&H Photo, but I went with Onecall.com today. They were able to pricematch the D70 kit from buydig.com for $1,103. Otherwise it will be $1,189.

9. gReen

gReen New Member

wtf hua... how did you get the d70 kit for 1103 from buydig.com Better yet, how did you get bhphoto to pricematch that. Im thinking you got the body for that price. In that case the 200 dollar rebate doesnt qualify. You only qualify for the 100.

10. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

11. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

I would like to point out that it is highly unlikely that moving airplanes are ever going to get close enough to the camera that your lens is going to be focused at anything other than infinity. Now perhaps some incredibly-long zooms have a huge focal range, but I'm guessing that continuous focusing when taking photos of flying airplanes is not necessary.

12. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

I purchased the D70 w/kit lens from Onecall.com. It is priced at $1,189 there.
    Buydig.com has it for $1,103. I called up Onecall, and had them match their price. And yes, I have the $200 rebate. Onecall.com is an authorized Nikon retailer, as verified on the Nikon site.

Total spent for the Nikon D70 w/kit lens after rebate: $903 (+ shipping).

13. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

14. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

do not but the digital rebel now.

supposedly on Feb 20-23 at PMA the replacement for the D-rebel will be announced at the same price as the curret rebel.

15. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

If I'm totally honest about it, I'd have bought the Nikon if I'd known this rebate thing was going to happen as I liked the look of it more (not a real reason to buy a camera, but ya like what ya like :big grin:) but as I was a novice, the DR made more sense. Less outlay for the camera when you don't know much gives you more to spend on the lenses, books, tripod, ect (could have just said accesories :p)

Still, I can't say I've found any problems with my Digital Rebel. I must say that the opinions of people supporting one camera one day and then another the next, seems to have me baffled. Makes me wonder how many people actually have a camera that they bang on about being poor :|

16. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I work on aircraft, I'm about 200 yards from the runway. I think I could get some decent shots from the flightline. :hsd:

Thanks for the replies everyone :hs: