so sad....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Audiophile, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

...i might have to part with my Brahma :(

im going to buy a GLi here soon and the stock alty probably is not large enough to support the 1200 watts. The only other thing I could do is wire it to 4 ohm because I dont have the money to buy a new alty:(. With 400 watts I can't justify haveing the weight of the Brahma in my trunk when i could run something like a Shiva or a IDQ.

2. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

not even a :wtc: out there?

3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

4. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

I admit to the quality of more than one brand. ;)

5. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

get a new alt? Have it rewound? Ummm.....dont crank it...sorry, thats all i got

6. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

well, my dads not letting me sell the Brahma. So I guess the problem is solved.

7. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

:bigthumb:

8. Phreaxer

Phreaxer Guest

lol :Owned: :fawk:

9. idontgiveashit

wow...some day i want a dad that WANTS me to keep my system shit...hes not a fan of my shockers, or my earthquakes, or anything else ive had....

10. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

my dad likes the Brahma...when I play his style of music on a moderate volume level.

11. idontgiveashit

oh, lol, my dad likes it evened out and moderate too, but i dont...

12. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

it's a good thing the A/C is removed from the car...it will somewhat balance out with the Brahma/enclosure.

13. caraudioguy

caraudioguy Guest

add a damn cap they work wonders and 1200 watts doesnt pull all that much current. also its very unlikely your amp is constantly putting out 1200watts also look at your fuses that is a good reference point for how much current your amp will pull just for example 3 20 amp fuses thats 60 amps. and generally an altenator will put out 120%

14. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

I have a cap, it didn't do shit, I had to buy a Rockford Fosgate 950 CCA deep cycle, that did the trick :)

15. 04

04 Guest

Caps don't work wonders, they discharge in a fraction of a second under heavy current draw and then become a load on the system.

Just because an amplifier has a certain fuse rating, does not mean it puts out that much power. It will also depend on the type of fuse, amplifier efficiency and of course, its power output. You can use it as a GENERAL rule of thumb, but nothing else. For example, a Pyramid "1200w amp" with two 10 ampere fuses is not going to put out that much power....

16. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

caps = crap

i never sell them and people with them remove them ;)

a good charging system with batteries > 23423423 caps

17. caraudioguy

caraudioguy Guest

well you people with the caps that didnt doo shit must have bought shitty caps or the wrong size. and about the fuse issue i didnt meen that an amp with a 10 amp fuse would put out 1200 watts. if you are a mecp certified installer you would know that fuse ratings on your amp times voltage your amp is getting is the absolute max your amp can put out and times that by .707 is rms

18. 04

04 Guest

Regarding the caps, what exactly do they do other than stop your headlights from dimming? You said you visit carsound, right? Do a search for member number 8 (RC) and caps and see what you find on the subject.

And regarding your fuse ratings, I don't care if MECP says that is the max pull or not, it isnt. Fuses typically need at least 10 seconds at rated current to blow. Music is dynamic, and unless you play a straight test tone, you are not going to have a constant power draw making that conclusion invalid. My brother had a 800wrms amplifier in his car and the fuse size at the battery was only 60 amperes. Yet the current draw assuming the amp was 100 percent efficient, which it obviously wasnt, had to be higher than 60 amperes. He never blew one fuse, and he cranked it A LOT, and even played constant sine tones without any problems. I beleive the amplifier is fused at 90amperes, and it was verified by carsound to putting out a little over 1200w into 1ohm. However, 90a x 14.4v is a little less than 1300 watts. How can the amplifer be 92% efficient?

19. caraudioguy

caraudioguy Guest

well regarding caps they recharge way faster than any battery. that is a major benefit. and about the fuse rating if you read my original statment i said it was very unlikly that an amp was putting out a continuos 1200 watts because of the variable resistance that music causes. and is the amp getting a constant 14.4 or are you just guessing. im gonna guess that at the loudest notes when the amp pulls the most the volts drop.if you have a dmm you can measure the ac current at the speaker outputs and really determins what the amps putting out. you say that 90atimes 14.4v=1300 watts . well thats pretty damn close to making my eqation right if you amp puts out 1200 watts. and that is the absolute max the amp will put outtake the 1296 times .707=916 wattsrms

20. 04

04 Guest

what variable resistance does music cause? Never heard of that one before...

And you are right, the more current you pull, the more voltage drop you get. SO YOUR CURRENT DRAW WOULD BE EVEN HIGHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you being serious about using a multimeter to measure your output power? :ugh:

AND THE AMPS RMS POWER IS 1200 WATTS, THAT IS NOT A PEAK FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!

Your cars voltage and current coming in are DC!!!!!!!!!! YOU CANT HAVE RMS DC POWER!!! JESUS CHRIST GO BACK TO MECP :rofl:

21. caraudioguy

caraudioguy Guest

amps put out ac

22. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I don't see what the problem is. Upgrade all your power and ground wire to 1/0 and get your alternator rewound. Either that or get an HO Alt from somewhere like Ohio Generator.

I once had a Brahma, ran it at 400 watts, and it wasn't too happy. They need some real power to sing.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Caps suck. Waste your money on something else. They are like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound.

23. 04

04 Guest

YOU INSTALL SPEAKERS IN PEOPLES CARS???? JESUS H. CHRIST, TELL ME WHERE YOU WORK SO I CAN RECCOMEND NO ONE GOES INTO YOUR SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

24. 04

04 Guest

Ooops, someone didnt realize I was a moderator and can read anything he posts. :rofl:

Seriously dude, quit being a douschbag and admit you don't know shit...

I find it hard to believe you install audio systems in peoples cars or have even taken the MECP test. :rolleyes:

25. Mack_Daddy

Mack_Daddy We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigar

does your dad buy all your equipment for you?