So OT, pick me out some supplements/guide my diet...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by zomgwtflol, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

I posted like a month or so ago. And I was insistent on just buying stuff for a home gym, but I decided to stop being an idiot and joined the local Y. I am suprised at myself but I actually make an effort to go there daily. Upper body one day, lower body the next. Repeat. But now I need to eat better.

Tips? Suggestions?

And if you say like "fish" tell me what type of fish in particular, pretend I'm completely dumb, cause I am :bigthumb:.

Also, what stuff should I buy supplement wise? Protein shake stuff...but I have no idea what brand? And my memory is horrible so I was thinking of getting some omega pills, can anyone suggest a brand here?

Andddd if you could, list me to a quality site to buy my stuff from.

There are alot of questions in here but, hopefully some of you can help me out. If it matters, im 5'10, 145lbs. Thx

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  2. meervincent

meervincent New Member

work more then arms and legs lol

3. TZ

TZ Banned

:roflw:

4. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

Perhaps I should rephrase, upper body one day, lower body the next.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Indeed. I would check out the stickies about workout routines. If you're honestly dedicated, you are fucking yourself over with arms/legs.

6. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

There fixed my post lol. I don't work just my arms and legs ;P

7. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Stickies! Read them!

8. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

I have, and although they do help with diet, they do not really tell what supplements in particular would work for me. I need help there, the diet I could probably guide myself on I guess

9. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Only supps you really need are:

- good daily vitamin
    - fish oil
    - creatine (mono is cheap and works fine)
    - whey

everything else is up to you.. i'd maybe add glutamine but thats it really..

10. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

if you're too lazy to read the stickies, and think supplements are necessary, then you will certainly fail.

food and fish oil/omega 3's are the only thing you really need. If you want to pay money for placebo, go for it. CEE and BCAA's are a good bet too.

11. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Optimum Nutrition whey protein (chocolate flavor)
    Multi vitamin (can be centrum)
    fish oils

I recommend these for now. As you learn more you'll seek out other things. For not DO NOT fall into any traps that GNC employees will tell you. They will lie to you to sell something.

And don't go to GNC anyway. At least go to vitamin shoppe, and if not that just order online (bulknutrition.com is good and there are deals in the stickies).

12. TZ

TZ Banned

fish oils are needed?

13. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

I don't really see any goals up there for us to go off of.

14. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

omega 3

15. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

16. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Not needed, necessarily. But, they are great to get in the habit of taking. I notice my body working more efficiently, but more importantly my mind. I have less emotional spikes throughout the day and have a better outlook.

Many people fighting depression are recommended to take fish oils for the emotional and physical functions. And as a psych junkie and regular gym go-er, I buy into it. :bigthumb:

17. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

As for goals, I dont knwo what is realistic? What goals SHOULD I be working for? I'm totally new to all this...but I mean I work full time online so I sit in my computer chair all day eating snacks, I realized this isn't healthy that is why I have been making changes.

18. TZ

TZ Banned

might try it :wavey:

19. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Well do not make one definitive goal, but smaller specific goals that contribute to a lifestyle change. Maybe you want to lose 30 lbs in the next 6 months, which I believe is a common new years resolution.

First I would suggest to get through the first 20 days of habit forming. The majority of studies on the subject suggest that it takes 20 days of doing something consistently to form a habit. No longer will that thing be interrupting your normal day, but it will actually become normal itself.

For 20 days stay on a good, healthy diet. Eat about 5 times a day, plenty of greens, lean protein, almonds, no processed sugar (like cake, pie, candy, etc), stay away from white bread (eat whole grain, oat bran, etc), kick ALL regular soda (and don't drink diet too much as some studies suggest it may harm endurance if you do cardio), and try to get to the gym at least 3 times a week to lift weights and do cardio.

Start with these and other smaller goals that work to achieve a newer, better lifestyle. After your FIRST visit you will see how great it feels and you'll want more of it. But you need to stay positively motivated. Tell all of your friends you're going to finally get healthy. They will be supportive.

I tell myself the same thing every morning: The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Sometimes I will stray from the path but I have learned something this past year from reading Nietzsche--
    We must be willing sometimes to find ourselves leaving the path we are comfortable following. What is important is not necessarily finding your way back or finding a newer, better path. It's being able to look back at your mistakes and smile, taking that as a lesson instead of a defeat. You must consume yourself in your own flame. It is not until then that you may reform yourself from the ashes, and become a newer, better being.

Learn to accept failure when it happens and allow it only to encourage you to follow your correct path.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  20. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.