SRS so one of my best friends might becoming schizo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by babar, Feb 9, 2008.

1. babar

babar Active Member

or one of those disorders....

lately i've been catching him talking to "someone"....he has conversations in the shower, heard him do it in the kitchen. i think he thinks its under his breath, but i can hear him. Kind of makes me uncomfortable. should i ask him about it, or just let it be?

2. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

do he talk to himself or someone else? does this person have a name?

you could ask him about it

3. babar

babar Active Member

someone else....he has conversation.

i.e. i heard him in the shower say...."so you wanna stop by macdonalds on the way?" PAUSE "No, ok well we can figure it out tomorrow then" PAUSE "HAHAHAHAHA no its not."

that was all i could hear

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

maybe he was rehearsing lines :dunno:

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

One of my friends kinda lost it around senior year. Its wild man, kid was as normal as anyone and now is as strange and the strangest. He doesn't talk to himself but he has a theory on life that he can talk about for hours but it makes no sense. Its cool though, he is still a good guy. I can't leave him hangin so he is my friend to the end, even if he does make up words and tell crazy stories that never happened.

6. babar

babar Active Member

so should i confront him about this?

7. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Up to you man. What would you get out of it? Would it make you feel better to ask him if he is fuckin crazy, and how would he respond? Id leave it be. I've never called my buddy out on being crazy, I just kick it with him every now and then and play some video games. He is a bit paranoid and doesn't like to leave his house much. I think if I tried to talk to him about it he would probably feel bad and maybe a little ostracized from even me and his few friends. I chose not to, but under different circumstances I might have.

8. Purple Banana

Purple Banana New Member

Just remember... People with serious mental health issues are people too... DON'T treat him in a condescending, 'scared animal trapped in a corner soothing-tone' kind of way, but like you've always treated him... Despite differences in psychological processes, he's still your friend, and deep down, he's probably just as confused as you, and scared as well.

Hope all goes well.

9. 2500

2500 Guest

Maybe he was on the phone?

10. TinTin

TinTin Guest

I have a family member who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia. The next time you hear him talking to 'himself' again, ask him, who he was talking to. Schizophrenics are delusional and have hallucinations that are VERY real to them. If you don't mind me asking, how old is he? Usually, symptoms appear around the age of 18 or 19.

11. babar

babar Active Member

he's 23

12. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

That is still around the onset age. The quicker you catch it the more help he can get. The longer it goes on untreated the harder it will be for him to have any sort of recovery. Next time you hear him talking to someone ask him about it. If he has any other friends or family nearby ask them if they noticed anything.

I watched my oldest brother degenerate into a vegetable from schizophrenia. I was age 6-15 and didn't understand it, and nobody else seemed to give a shit. He as paranoid schizophrenic so he would often lash out at me and my other brother. Watching his mind slowly die was just terrible, cause one part of me was happy that he wouldn't be beating the crap out of me anymore and but its not easy watching someone go from normal to insane to brain dead. Took 8 years for him to partially recover. He is semi normal now, but he still has no chance at a decent life.

13. 2500

2500 Guest

Brain dead from schizophrenia? Not possible. Is there more to the story, like heavy drug use, sniffing gasoline, or are you exaggerating.

14. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Basically sat in his room or slept 24/7. Yeah, not litterally brain dead, but it sure seemed like it. More or less unresponsive to the outside world. I'm sure he was also depressed. No drug use or anything like that.

15. JordanClarkson

I had a hallucination the other day. I can't believe how REAL it seemed. I heard voices for the first time in my life and they sounded like they were coming from the same room I was in. It scared the hell out of me.

The next time you hear him talking to himself, ask him "how is your imaginary friend doing?" :)

16. TinTin

TinTin Guest

Does he have any relatives that come and visit? If it's persistent, you should let them know.

17. TopDawg

TopDawg New Member

Well, not to trivialize your friend's problem, but one of my roommates is like that; except that he's been this way ever since I met him like four years ago. He just talks to himself when he thinks people are out of earshot (of course while in actuality we hear him fine...) Not only that, he tends to create "scenarios", mostly sci-fi stuff (he's a nerd). He impersonates different characters with different intonations and voices.

We laugh about it, but never at his face. I guess we sort of just accept it as a personal quirk about him. Other than this quirk, he's perfectly normal. I guess he's had not too many friends growing up, so he never outgrew that stage of making imaginary friends. One thing, though: I don't think it is a good idea to break it to him about your knowledge of his... apostrophizing. That would really freak my housemate out, for sure.

Of course, if this happens around the time of some major crisis in his life, this could mean something more serious. Maybe you should suggest to him of seeing a doctor, without any show of ridicule.

18. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Way to go and scare the shit out of me. That's almost exactly me LOL. My dad had it, sometimes when I hear shit, it's the first thing that pops into my head. I hope I don't get it, I seem like I'm past that mark, but damn you never know lol.

BTW whats wrong with talking to yourself? I guess if it's too an imaginary person, but growing up I'd talk to myself I guess in my head and imagine shit. I think it's why I still have a pretty damn good one now. It's like an internal monologe. Fuck now I'm like gonna dr.google myself a skitz.

19. JordanClarkson

doesn't everybody do this? :noes:

20. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

For all things holy I hope so LOL....