So, my wife witnessed a motorcycle accident...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deevee8, Aug 18, 2004.

1. deevee8

deevee8 d e v i a t e

and she called me up and said "You arent getting a motorcycle.":wtc:

She was at an busy intersection waiting in the northbound lane for the lights to turn green. There was a big Fed Ex truck in the westbound lane making a left turn to go south and an older 4 door sedan in the eastbound lane turning left to go north. Well, any GOOD driver would wait until they are sure there arent any cars (or motorcycles) coming before they make the left turn. Apparently, the sedan decided that the way was clear (even though he couldnt see past the big ass Fed Ex truck) and went. And that is when the motorcyclist collides with the sedan. My wife approximates that the bike was going 35-40 mph. :dunno: That is a pretty busy street so it is probably close to that.
    She said his bike was "destroyed" and that he hit the car and dropped limp.
    Apparently he wasn't wearing ANY gear. Just a t shirt and khakis. ( :slap: )
    She said he wasn't moving at all for the 5 minutes she was there.

Anyways, just wanted to share.
    Doesn't look like I'll be getting a bike anytime soon. :sadwavey:

2. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

That sounds a lot like what happened to my bros girlfriend, only she was driving.

She was pulling out onto a 4 lane street (must have been no light). Some car was turning right in front of her, so she thought it was clear and started to make a left in front of the car pulling in. Unbeknownst to her, there was a motorcycle on the other side of the car and they crashed right into each other. The guy operating the bike lived, but the chick riding on back died.

3. deevee8

deevee8 d e v i a t e

I would rather be in a car accident than a motorcycle accident. :slap:

4. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I'd rather have a wife or girlfriend that supported what I wanted to do. :slap:

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have a friend who just got a harley. He was wearing protective gear, helmet, had his girlfriend on the back of the bike and and she was wearing protective gear, helmet. They hadn't bought their bike pants yet so they were wearing jeans, but they had moto jackets and moto boots.

They were driving down a major road here in Houston when a 60 year old guy pulled out of a parking lot directly in their path and stopped. The road was 4 lanes across without a median and the guy was pulling out from their right and as he came out he obviously didn't see them and blocked both lanes. They hadn't anywhere to go and hit his front bumper.

Both broke their right legs. Her brake was compound, meaning the bone was sticking out of the leg, and his was near the ankle.

Not their fault but it shows how well protective gear works. Besides the breaks from impact they didn't have a single road rash. :hs:

6. gethamerd

gethamerd Guest

Get the bike you will regret it later on in life

7. deevee8

deevee8 d e v i a t e

So...someone who disagrees with you isn't supportive?? :ugh: :rolleyes: :fawk:

I'll probably still get a bike..but we are in the middle of buying a house..so it may be a while.. :wtc:

8. deevee8

deevee8 d e v i a t e

She knows bad things can happen anywhere, anytime.
    Anyways.. she has seen a few car accidents.. but NONE where the driver was instantly knocked out and limp like a ragdoll. I believe she has confidence in me riding a bike..but she doesnt trust other drivers as much.