MIL So my unit got a new 1SG

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Some of you my remember a post I made several months ago about having doubts about my National Guard unit and its leadership. The company commander was transferred to a brigade staff position a few months ago and replaced by the XO. He's a good guy and will make a good commander. Two weeks ago, some discrepancies in paperwork were found as well as neglect of putting soldiers in for training (the 1SG was also the Readiness NCO). I don't know all the details, but he was asked to retire. Our new 1SG is straight shooter. She has the "President's Hundred" tab and is a prominant name in the area for military excellence. This will be the first drill with her. I finally see my unit turning the corner....

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:eek3:

I thought you were talking about my unit until you said "She". Although my new 1SGT came here straight from being a Drill Sgt. He is not doing well here. He got started on the wrong foot by making jokes about his "deployment" during the first full drill my unit had after returning from Afghanistan (where we lost 4 soldiers). The "deployment" he was talking about was his time as a Drill Sgt. He has never been in combat. :rolleyes:

That was the same day he mentioned that if the contractors that cut the grass around the drill area didn't cut it soon he would get a detail of privates out there to start cutting with scissors. He wasn't joking.

Last drill weekend we had a change of command ceremony for the Battalion commander. The guidon for our unit was a little slow during one of the 11ty practice runs we had in the several hours of practice before the real thing. Our 1SGT walks out right in front of everyone, smacks the guidon on the back of his neck, grabs his head and shakes it while yelling at him to pay some goddamn attention. The guidon is one helluva squared away soldier, and (unlike the 1SGT) actually has earned a CAB.

Yeah... We're not liking our 1SGT very much right now.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Wow...you have a character on your hands. Under no circumstances do you put your hands on another soldier like that.