GUN So my uncle shot himself in the foot this weekend cleaning his gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by halflife78, Dec 30, 2008.

1. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

He came home after work and broke the gun apart (glock 30) to do some type of trigger modification, put it back together, and right after he put the mag back in he realized he didn't oil the trigger area down good. Broke it back down again (without removing the mag) and when he put it back together he followed habit from years of cleaning and pulled the trigger to decock it and shot himself in the foot.

Bullet went in the top left side of his left foot near the ankle, came out the lower right side. Luckily it missed everything major but he is in his late forties and a diabetic. He lives with his parents and they were in the other room and said all they heard was a cannon and him screaming.

I went over to the house after I visited him and my grandpa found the bullet in the bathroom. I didn't think at the time to get a pic of it. Was a hollow point also.

6 to 8 weeks recovery, he may end up losing his job now because of this and being out so long.:sad2:

He is the last person I ever thought this would happen to. He has like 40 guns (original mp5, real steyer aug, etc.) and been messing with them since he was like 12. He just got in a non thinking habit of cleaning and when he broke it back down for the part he forgot to oil he left the mag in.

He was coming out to my dad's the next day also to shoot the wife's FN 57, my new AR-15, dad's gsg-5, and some other goodies also. :wtc:

UPDATE: Uncle's foot is fine but he had to sell his mp5 for $16,000 to cover the medical bill, ended up selling it last week.:wtc:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. johnson

johnson New Member

This is why some people dont like Glock's design.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

More specifically, what? The lack of a safety? (aside from the trigger thingy)

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Having to press the trigger for field stripping.

5. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Sometimes being "too comfortable" with something that is potentially dangerous can be a bad thing... Glad he just shot his foot. It could have been much worse.

6. el capitan

el capitan New Member

tell him to look into FMLA. i was out for six weeks earlier in the year, and the company can't do anything about it. its a federal deal.

something like federal medical leave act. they don't guarantee wages though.

7. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

yeah.. but you shouldn't field strip it with a magazine, and it's not hard to check and see if their is a round in the chamber.

Sucks for his uncle though. I know that shit has to fucking hurt and it's probably quite an embarassing thing to do.

8. KGB ate my bread

word.

I was too comfortable at climbing trees. Figured climbing one in sandals earlier this year wouldn't be a terrible idea. Also add to this line of thinking that I'mg oing to climb a tree and cut branches out of it (gustav clean up).

Well, this wonderful line of thinking lead to a branch falling at just the right angle to knock 50%+ of my large toenail loose on one of my toes.

Fuck that shit sucked.

9. I take it this means there was a bullet chambered before he decided to take it apart again to oil the trigger? How did he get it apart without pulling the trigger then?

10. KGB ate my bread

I'd imagine it got chambered the second time he put the slide back on?

11. Yeah, but to put the slide back on, all you have to do is push it back until it clicks. Chambering a round wouldn't happen unless he racked the slide. If that is the case, this isn't related at all to the claims people make about Glock's design for field stripping, this would have happened with any gun.

12. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

Yea, he put it together the first time, pulled the trigger to decock it, put the mag in, and immediately after realized he forgot to oil the new trigger or something, broke it back down without removing the mag again, put it back together and pulled the trigger again.

13. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

He racked the slide completely back afterwards verifying it was correctly aligned I guess.

14. At some point he would have had to chamber a round though. If he pulled the trigger to disassemble it when he realized it didn't have oil, it obviously didn't have a round chambered. He then oiled it, and put the slide back on. There was still no round chambered. He had to, at some point, rack the slide to chamber a round before again pulling the trigger and discharging the gun.

EDIT: I see you addressed this in your above post. That said, this has nothing to do with any perceived design flaw with Glocks then.

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

so he chambered a round when he put the slide back on? and then pulled the trigger?

that is an epic level of absent mindedness.

16. Rev Happy

Rev Happy Active Member

See, this is why I always keep my live ammo separate from everything else when cleaning.

Good to hear your uncle will be okay

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

flaw is in persons brain. Gun is always loaded and handled as such even when you know/think it is unloaded. When you dry fire a gun you never point it at anything you don't want to put a hole in. This means you never dryfire even a unloaded pistol at your foot. You dry fire a unloaded pistol in a safe direction so if by magic a live round appeared out of thin air it makes a hole in something that doesn't bleed or is $$$ to repair.

Violation of the first 2 rules of gun handling. Dumb ass mother fucker FTL

18. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

There is no problem with this as long as you unload the gun before cleaning it. There is no reason to be taking a gun down with a loaded magazine or a bullet in the chamber. There is no situation so dire that you would be cleaning a gun without checking the chamber.

19. SNDP

SNDP New Member

The FMLA is the FAMILY medical leave act.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

Only applies if place has more than 50 employees, too.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Similarly though there isn't a good reason why you should have to push the boom button to take a gun apart. Of course the guy fucked up, but several people fuck up in this fashion. A decocker button would probably prevent some of these ND's.

(ready for hate)

21. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

22. This incident has nothing to do with needing to pull the trigger to disassemble the weapon though. The guy took apart and reassembled the weapon, then chambered a round, then shot himself in the foot. This is nothing more than not taking the time to know what's going on.

23. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

If he is scared of guns after this accident he can send the MP-5 my way.

Or as atonement for failing to following the 4 rules.

Really though sorry to hear that happened to him and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Really, really though send the MP-5 my way.

24. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

That's great, first shoot yourself in the foot for no reason other than the fact that you're a dumbass, then make the government support you.

25. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

:werd: :hs: