GUN So my school is offering a shooting class next fall v.whatgunshouldiget?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Apr 3, 2006.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

So my school has a CJ department, and they have a 4000level(senior) level class which is called intro to shooting technique. Pretty much learn about and shoot guns the entire semester.

Problem is i don't have a gun(pistol) yet. I'd really like to get a CPO or new Sig 228, but i don't know if i'll have enough saved up over the summer. Anyone know good prices new and used on the sig? I've got an airsoft(don't laugh:squint:), to figure out how it fits my hand, and it does. Reccomend me some good affordable alternatives in 9mm to take this class.

first to say glock gets the IL+1

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

you CANNOT beat CDNN's prices on police-trade-in Sigs

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

and yeah, Glock 17 > *

5. Accord

Accord New Member

That's fucking awesome and exactly what this country needs, shooting being incorporated back into the schools. Back in the 50's every school had a varsity shooting team, society wasn't scared of guns like they are today, and every 8 year old had his own .22 rifle. Hopefully what's going at your school will catch on across the country.

You can buy Sig 229's and 226's from CDNN for $349. You'll be hard pressed to find a 228, but if your dead set on getting one your best bet is the classifieds forum on www.sigforum.com but honestly, you should just go with a 229 which has the beefier and more durable slide and if you're not going to be carrying concealed, you might as well go for the 226.

I have a Sig 229 DAK and absolutely love it, you can't go wrong with a Sig no matter which model you choose (except the Mosquito :mamoru: )

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

yeah, goodthing you were late on the glock comment, PT got the IL+1... and is it worth the hassle to go through CDNN for the transfer and stuff?...

I also heard that Sig has cut their distributorship significantly. True or rumor?

7. Accord

Accord New Member

CDNN is very easy to deal with. You call them and place your order, then they ship it to a FFL dealer near you and you go to that dealer and fill out the necessary paperwork and whatnot no different than if you had bought it there in person.

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Yeah, my University is very gun oriented, part of that to do with being somewhat Rural and Having a large Criminal Justice Department. We've got a 50 ft indoor pistol/.22rifle range under one of our buildings, and a trap and skeet range off campus. Pretty sweet. I just hope they still let me take it even if i'm not a CJ major. There's quite a few other universites in missouri that have competitive shooting trap/skeet teams. Our school does, but i got in late on the season.

I'd really like the 228, partly because of looks, but also because it's a little lighter, and designed for the 9mm, whereas the 229 is designed heavier for the .40/.357. I'd prolly settle for the 229 if it comes down to it.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

back in highschool when I played football, one of the teams we went to play had an indoor rifle range in their school. .

that was the norm back in the day..

10. Accord

Accord New Member

The 228 and 229 are visually identical unless you take a ruler to measure the thousandth of an inch difference in slide thickness. The fact that the 229 was designed around the .40/.357sig cartridge is a positive thing, not a negative, because all that means is that it's more durable than the 228 and will be able to withstand more punishment. The difference in weight is negligible at best.

11. Peqkx

Peqkx Active Member

can you shoot .22 out of any glock?

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if you get a 22lr conversion :hsughno:

13. CString

CString New Member

i wish my school had a shooting class :wtc:

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

not true
    229 has a full length ledge on the slide:
    [​IMG]
    and the sig 228 has half length ledge on the slide:
    [​IMG]

15. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Do you have to call CDNN to find out what guns they have, cuz they apparently don't have anything on their website except accessories.

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

download the PDF catalog on CDNN's website, it has all their guns

17. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

what do you all think of this...
    Getting the sig 229 in 40/.357 for 389 from cdnn, and get the barsto 9mm conversion, carry in .40 and rangetime with 9mm? :dunno:

basically i'd be getting 3 different guns for the price of one, and just switch out the barrels, and mags.

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

fuck that, just get a 9mm.. a 9mm conversion barrel is never as reliable as the original..

9mm is fine for carry

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

yeah i realize that, but all cdnn has in the compact sigs is the .40/.357 sig... i'd carry in .40, but spend the range time/class time in the 9mm

22. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

okey dokey.

go on a sig forum and do some research on conversion barrels first.. just search for "conversion"

sorry for the step by step, just trying to help.. its good to read up, make sure there arent any problems before you drop the cash

23. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Yeah i used to spend a helluva lot of time on sigforum hence my sig fettish, but i lost interest as i was too young and not enough money... I have plenty of time between then and now, just looking to get an idea of what would be good. and rly i just wanted to brag about how :cool: my school is.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

You're wasting money if you do that.

I don't think you realize how expensive the barsto 9mm conversion barrel is. The 9mm conversion barrel is $200, and then a .40 or .357sig conversion barrel is $150. That's $350 right there which is enough to buy a whole other 229 so you'll have 2, one in 9mm and one in .357sig or .40.

You can get dirt cheap .40 for almost as cheap as 9mm, so there is no reason to buy a 9mm conversion barrel anyways.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  25. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Walther P99 is nice, Glock would be my first choice, Sigs are getting better with the DAK, but a Glock is still an easier gun to shoot/maintain