So my receiver has started giving me OVERLOAD errors and cutting off. Is it dying?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tard Carnival, May 30, 2007.

1. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

It just started a few days ago. It's set to deal with 6 ohms and that's what I'm using, but lately it flashes OVERLOAD and cuts off at higher and higher volumes.

I have to assume it's just crapping out after a few years of use (Wasn't too expensive to begin with) but I'm curious if there might be some common things that would cause this behavior in a Pioneer receiver short of forthcoming total malfunction.

2. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Cursory research reveals it may have some dying caps in it.

Looks like I might be able to solve it with some soldering. For now I'm going to try sticking a fan on top. :o

3. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

Alternatively, could we just be drawing too much power through one circuit?

Now that I think about it, we don't have the most robust electrical wiring in the world (all lights will brown out for a second when we turn our TV on) and I'm thinking TV/receiver/sub on the same circuit might draw too much power/notgive the receiver enough.

It does only seem to happen with big bassy sound events.

4. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

sounds like a cap problem. Pulling too much juice and the caps inside the receiver are crapping out.

5. Tard Carnival

Tard Carnival New Member

I think that's it. Our sub is the most disposable asset, and pulls a good bit of power, I plugged it straight into the wall, redid all speaker connections (found a potential short in one) and took out the speaker's woofers (long story, weird wiring with these speakers) and we haven't had an issue yet, even at high volume. :bowdown:

Looked into the receiver and didn't see any obviously fucked caps, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on it now.