So my receiver exploded

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Was playing a game on my computer when all the sudden theres a loud pop and some smoke from the receiver.

Doesnt send signal to speakers anymore, everything else works and it will send to the sub, wasnt listening to it loud or anything, everything seemed to be connected properly etc so Im not quite sure what exactly had triggered it, it is a harman kardon HK3480 and its out of warranty, how much should I expect to pay for repairs or would it be easier just to get something new?

If I do get something new I was thinking I'd just get a Yamaha 7.1 receiver if not that then maybe an Onkyo, dont really know yet, cant get something super high end. (due to how much money i can spend) Just need a receiver that has good stereo performance.

2. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

Rule #1 of electronics: DO NOT release the magic smoke! When teh magic smoke is released, nothing will function

Seriously though, that's a pisser about your receiver dying on you. I have always liked Onkyo - decent bang for the buck. Of course, I used to love HK too (back int he days of the champagne finish - damn I am old)

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

id go for onkyo except their stereo receivers dont have sub out which for me is a must, same goes for denon and yamaha and rotel, this is very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2005
  4. edrox

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ok now this is my plan, my receiver IS still under warranty, i have a copy of the paypal transaction so im not sure that is good enuf proof of date of purchase so im going to request a reciept of some sort from the seller (i dont remember if i got one initially or not) so after that im going to contact an authorized dealer in my area and talk to them about it. if for some reason i will need a new receiver i would really like to get a stereo receiver the only problem is my options are highly limited:

this is my sub situation:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/hsusubs_1852_1846603

so i can connect to high level speaker outputs and pre-outs as well along with the regular sub out.

so maybe i can get one of the stereo receivers ive been looking at, im just not knowledgable about the other connection methods

6. edrox

but if you have to get a new receiver, why not get one of the Onkyos I linked you to? All are 7.1 with subwoofer pre-out.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

7.1 is over kill for what i need, i use my system for like 60% music, 40 % games, and 10 % other stuff like vids

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I love my yamaha receiver. If it ever went out on me (It's got to be 8 years old now) I would definitely buy another.

9. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

:werd:

Yamaha receivers are pretty nice. All the systems I have and that my dad has have Yamaha receivers.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

can i hook up a sub up to their stereo receivers? do they have the high pass speaker outs the pre out thingy?

11. edrox

Most 2-channel receivers will not have a low level sub-out. You will need to use the speaker in/out terminals on the sub

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Mine is a 5.1 setup and it does have a sub out. I do not believe that mine has a crossover, but it's also only a 5.1 and it's 8+ years old. (not the top-model, either).

Even if you only watch movies SOME times, remember that a 5.1 system WILL work in stereo as well... And you can always use ProLogic. Not to mention many games are comming with surround sound support, anyway.

13. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

14. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Im not sure about all of their models, but I know some do. Just check out their site.

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm not sure yet, i can afford something in the 400-500 range just not sure i actually want to spend that.

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2005
  17. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i have looked at marantz and they are an option i have considered, there are a few variables im still considering, for one i may not need a replacement, for 2 it also depends on how much i will end up spending, who knows, maybe it will be 600, havent figured that out yet. and if i do drop some money like that i will most likely go auditioning at some shops.

ill come back to the thread when i have some better info to go on

update: i seem to have misplaced my original bill of sale so one of these days im going to drop by an authorized dealer to see what the price of repair would be (its a premier service site so they should know off hand) if labor+parts is reasonable ill get the repairs, if not im going to pull some shizzle from my savings. :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2005
  19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

20. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I honestly wouldn't bother getting it repaired. If you play a lot of video games you can take advantage of surround sound. The Yamaha's are nice units, and sound as good as any other brand of receiver out there.

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

thanks for the support, ill probably use a ghetto sony receiver for awhile then get the yamaha in august

22. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Rotel's don't have a sub out? That's odd, and I thought you weren't looking to spend a lot of money.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

"a lot" means different things to different people.

24. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

He mentioned Yamaha and Onkyo in his post, saying he couldn't get anything very high end due to money. Most people would put Rotel in a league seperate from those two companies.

25. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i can spend the money but i dont per se want to, i dont want to spend more money than i have to

and the RX-1052 stereo receiver lacks subwoofer connectivity, correct me if i am mistaken, but from what i've seen its a 2.0 receiver.

and on top of that the MSRP is 900 bucks and i cant find it for sale anywhere online. :hs:

a lot of money for a receiver to me would be in the 500-600 range that seems to be my going limit for components at the moment. (maybe when my income increases so will my limit but i can only do so much at 17)

the yamaha receivers come packed with features for that kind of money making it appealing to me.