So, my mobo died; time to burn more money! :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KGB ate my bread, Apr 11, 2010.

1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

Well, it seems like my PSU may have brought my mobo down with it when it went. I honestly have no idea what's still good or what isn't right now, pretty much sucks.

I've got an AMD Phenom X4 940 which is pretty much the fastest AM2+ socket cpu and two ATI 4870s (1gb and 512mb).

I need to find a really good mobo on newegg (because they ship mad quick and it gets here in less than 24hrs when i pay for standard ground) and I'm struggling to see one that I really like that's also right on for the price.

What I'm looking at is this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265

It's a MSI and supports AM3 as well as ATI crossfire. Now, it's a different chipset than my current motherboard (It was an AMD 790FX, this is a 790X), will that be a problem for my windows 7 installation?

Thanks for the help.

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

It usually a good idea to reinstall Windows when changing something as big as a motherboard, but you could get away with it long enough to back up anything important. There is a 790FX board for roughly the same price (after MIR) as the 790X board you posted.

3. KGB ate my bread

I'm assuming the FX is a better chipset? I really didn't bother to dothe research which I guess I should have.

This mobo?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186149

I do like that one, just not the price and I'm always kinda meh on the MIRs, but I guess that's probably the most in line with what I currently have and would hopefully work all right.

The only thing I don't like that about that mobo is that it looks like you have to use DDR2 1022?

I'm currently running ddr2 800 :/

4. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

No, you don't have to use DDR2-1066, it supports up to DDR2-1066. It should set to DDR2-800 automatically, but you may even be able to run your current memory at DDR2-1066 speed with a little voltage tweaking.

5. KGB ate my bread

cool deal, i think that's what I'll go with then since I don't want to reinstall windows 7 or anything like that. I figured if I might have had to buy more memory then I'd just go ahead and jump ship to an i7

Fuck this sucks. had I known buying a new video card would also require a new PSU and mobo, I'd have not done shit :/

6. iMotionSRT-4

iMotionSRT-4 HO! HO! HO! BITCHES!!

Did you ever get it fixed and working?