So my memory passed ok on memtest86, now whats my next step to fixing my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Some of you may have been reading my recent posts on my computer that freezes anywhere from 2 seconds to 5 hours after its been turned on. Ive run Memtest 86 and it didnt come up with any errors on the memory. The weird thing is, when the computer starts to act up and keeps freezing, i just take the memory out and reseat it, and it works perfectly for another couple days until it decides to act up again. Ive been moving the 512mb stick back and forth between slots 1&2 everytime it starts freezing. So now that i know my memory isnt fried, whats my next step?

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

How long did you run memtest86 for?

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

shit must have ran for 8 or 9 hours..i was expecting it to take like 45min., i just turn my monitor off and checked it when i woke up

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

What does it look like when you come back and find it locked up?

5. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

What do you mean? It looks like whatever is going on when it locks, it will sometimes take like 2 seconds from startup, where its still loading windows, it will just totaly freeze, other times i will be on it for 4 or more hours, playing games or on the net, and all of a sudden it will freeze. But what im saying is when i take the memory out and put it back in, it seems to stop for a couple days before it starts back up. I already had 1 bad stick of this Mushkin ram, i sent it back and they sent me this new one, but that was like 6 months ago, ive had this problem for only a few months

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

How long total does the full test take? i shut off memtest after like 9 hours of testing, i figured that was long enough

7. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I would say that 8 hours of testing should be enough to make the any errors causeing the problems that you are having show up.

The reason that I asked what was on the screen is because sometimes video cards locking up or overheating will cause the system to crash. Usually (at least with the one really bad card I had) the screen would just freeze.

If thats the case you might want to look into heat/video card stuff.

Actually, I change my mind. If I were you I would just reinstall windows and make sure to get all the latest drivers to make sure it isn't a software issue.

8. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ya ive tried reformatting when this issue first started happening, all my drivers are up to date. I think it is a hardware problem because it will freeze before windows even does the startup memory test thing, which is like 1 second after i hit the on button. This thing has been really frustrating because ive posted this everywhere on forums and it seems like no one has ever seen or heard of this problem, ive almost been thinking about scrapping every computer part off my system and buying a new one.

9. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

test the power supply. last freezing issue I had was because a channel in the PSU had gone to crap.

10. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

its a pretty decent PSU, power seems to be consistant and running well, How do i test it?

11. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

But a temporary one and try it. If the prob stops keep it if it doesn't return it.

12. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

what kind of psu do u have and what kind of motherboard?

are the timings on the motherboard the right ones for the ram??

13. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

reseat the processor...sounds to me like a mobo issue though

14. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ill try that when i get home. If that doesnt work, would it be the memory connections on the Motherboard? i have a Gigabyte K8 Triton mobo with Nforce

EDIT: If i reseat my processor do i need to buy and re-apply thermal grease?

15. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

There is a link that can be found on Google, "test power supply". sorry for the short answer, I'm just walking out the door.