So my girlfriend is quiting the pill and I don't know what to make of it...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Left, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Left

Left Lakers Fan For Life!

My girl has been on the pill for about 2.5 years now. It worked out great in the beginning, for the obviously reasons. We never had sex previous to the pill, not even with a condom. But the last year or so hasn't been so great, she is basicly never in the mood and I have beg her to even think about sex. We usually do it about as often as the seasons change. :sad2: Well, because of this, she is going to stop the pill in hopes of gaining back her libido. I don't know what to make of this. We had sex a few times with a condom, just because, but I'm worried about the protection condoms provide. The pill was such a sure thing. Never any worries.

Am I being an idiot? Should I be glad that my girlfriend will hopefully want to have sex with me again like when we first met?

Should I expect anything as she quits? Will this turn around in weeks, or months, or will I be looking at a long time before her drive is back again?

Anyone have any insight? I don't have anyone to talk to this about, so I'm turning to OT, for better or worse.

:hsd:

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Well first of all, the pill is not a "sure thing." And the sad truth is that it may take her a looooonnnnggg time to gain back a sexual appetite. Did she ever even have one before taking the pill?

Could there be anything else going on in her mind that is really affecting her sexuality? How long have you guys been together? Have any big problems? Is she insecure about her body? The list goes on and on along with are you guys just getting bored with one another sexually.

Either way, if she thinks getng off the pill is a good idea than fine. Make SURE you wear a condom though because once she's off the pill because there is a much higher chance of her getting pregnant if you don't wear one and cum inside of her. And good luck, because if after a few months she still doesn't feel sexual than I don't know what to tell you :dunno:

3. Left

I don't see see either of those being the case. She's not cheating on me, I mean I guess every guy says that, but sincerely doubt it with all of my heart. I don't think she's lost interest in me, at least not as a person, just sexually. We do everything together and have a great time doing it. We plan on having a life together and talk about marriage and kids all the time. Sex is the only issue we really have, mostly because I want to have it and she doesn't. But it never used to be the case.

I understand that the pill is not a sure thing, but we've been very good about it, she has only missed taking it like once in the whole 2.5 years, she takes it at the same time everyday like clockwork. I understand it's not 100%, but we've had no problems, no scares, nothing.

As far as before the pill, yes, she had great libido, in fact. I was a virgin before her and was willing to wait quite along time before having sex, it wasn't an issue for me honestly. But she convinced me otherwise, after she got on the pill. It was great for quite sometime.

I don't think there's anything on her mind either, we're very open, I believe she would tell me. I don't think she's insecure about her body. I think she has a great body and I often tell her this.

I've read up alot about the pill seriously affecting libido. I don't even worry abou it too much anymore, it's sad, but I've become a sexual camel, but she wants to get her drive back.

Oh, I don't remember who asked, but we've been together nearly 3 years.

4. Left

I'm not brushing it under the carpet, we are addressing it by going off the pill to see what happens. Maybe our sex life will return to normal. I don't know. I'm not getting married anytime soon anyway, we have just discussed it many times before. It's not like I'm asking her tomorrow either. We have talked and both want a long engagment anyways, a few years time at least before we would wed.

5. Left

We don't have sex now, nor do I see that happening anytime soon with how long it seems for her to regain libido, so I doubt that will be an issue anyway. No sex = no pregnancy. She has her yearly checkup in about a week or two, and she's going to be talking with the doctor about it then. But she is going to stop at the end of this cycle of pills.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen for anyone wondering.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

In the many many years I have been taking BC...I have never once heard a positive claim about Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I've heard nothing but nightmare stories. Most women don't realize however that they have should try other pills first before disregarding BC altogether.

7. Left

We have lately. She feels it's the pill. I tend to concur, because it's gotten worse the longer she's been taking it.

8. Left

That's what I hear also, we tried to switch about six months back, but the doctor wanted her to try Yasmin, and the side effects for it seemed to be even worse when we looked it up, so we stuck with OTC, because it doesn't make her sick or anything, really very little if any side effects for her other than the libido issues.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

I've been on Yasmin for a long time. Have never had one problem with it. In fact, I convinced at least 5 of my best girlfriends to switch to it and they love it even more :dunno:

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Have her change pills. Some pills kill your sexual appetite. One of my exes, on her first pill, became all emotional, lost her sex drive, and couldn't get wet. A simple pill change fixed that.

She and I did a lot of research on the pill and on chemical bc. I have it all compiled into a .doc file. It's got charts of side-effects of the various pills, and which pills to switch to to counter them, etc. PM me your email address if you want a copy of it. I've sent it to some other people here before.

Do not underestimate the effects of hormones on the brain. I don't think she's cheating on you or anything, I just think she's seeing the side effects of external hormones being introduced into the body. It can slowly develop over time with the pill.

11. Left

I think I may have that file. You sent it to me like 6 months ago when I was researching switching from OTC to Yasmin. I think it was you. Was it originally for school report or something. Either way I'll send you a PM with my e-mail.

12. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

My wife tried the pill when we first got together. It was ... meh for her. She stopped taking it and things were great. We've never used a condom either and have never had a problem. (I'm probably shooting blanks, eh? :mamoru: )

The action she is taking is "I'm trying to change to improve the relationship." That is a good thing.

13. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Ignore this poster.

FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - The pill does a huge number on a woman's libido. I got off the pill and turned into a horn dog.

If you don't want babies, check into getting an IUD or a cervical ring. As long as you are fluid bonded to each other, these should be good birth control options, as good or better than the pill.

14. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I couldn't disagree more. Going on the pill affects people very differently. I was on Ortho Tricyclen for a few years and it really decreased my sexual appetite. I've switched a few times since then and have settled on one that really works for me. I suggest asking her to try a different brand or just a different type in general. Has she thought about other methods of BC like the shot or an IUD? Those might work. If you really don't believe that the pill can affect your sex life, check out the website for whatever brand she's on and read the possible side affects. Every brand I've ever seen has sexual side affects listed. Good luck!

15. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Many women lose sex drive on the pill.

I think she is doing the right thing.

16. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

You really shouldn't say stuff like this since you have no idea what you are talking about. BC fucks with your head REALLY bad. It can totally kill your sex drive and make you feel like shit all the time. You can be totally in love with someone and still have no desire to do anything with them because the hormones mess with you so bad.

17. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Awesome. I made a thread about this and of course all the women argued with me, imagine that.

18. Midgetized

link?

19. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

20. Midgetized

21. iwishyouwerebeer

:mamoru: You will have fun with it. It's written by some average joe who thinks after a bunch of research he is an expert. The original thread it was in was very entertaining.

22. antee

antee Medium rare please...

The pill makes me want to have sex even more as it does for some women. For others it kills their sex drive, the patch made my friend a hormonal bitch, and that whole fucking with your head thing was completely obvious while she was on it.

Has she tried switching brands or talking to her gynecologist about it? I'm on OrthroTriCyclen-Lo and love it, I don't see myself switching anytime soon. That said, she could be having hormonal issues and other things that are hurting her sex drive (like anxiety, stress) despite the pill. I'd recommend talking to her doctor to see if anything else in her body is affecting her.

23. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

TC is hardly an average joe.

edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TC_Luoma

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  24. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Hormones effect (is that right) every women differently. It doesn't mean she can't be on BC, maybe just a different kind. Another pill, the ring, and IUD, etc. She needs to talk to her doctors...there are a lot of options these days.

25. lauren

lauren Active Member

i just love how 'all the women' ends up being one person.

in the the first threads, you have set (a) females saying one thing. then in these new ones, you have set (b) saying another. there is no overlap. guess what, different people have different opinions.....

why cant you see that?