SRS So, my GF got caught shoplifting and I've got some questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wtfmates, Sep 11, 2006.

1. wtfmates

wtfmates New Member

Her and her sister were in the mall at come store named Sephora, and got caught on camera stuffing some makeup into their purses. They only had a few things, but my girlfriend had a bunch of makeup from the day before in her bag that she purchased at the store about a month ago that they added to her charge, saying she stole it, and it added up to over 300 bringing the misdemeanor to a felony. She's 17 right now, turns 18 in december, and it's her first offence. Her hearing is in october.

Questions: Based on that, what are the chances of her being tried as an adult? How severe would the punishment be as a minor or adult? I'm gussing some probation and/or community service and/or fines?

2. johan

johan Active Member

You should help her look into getting legal counsel. Other than that, not much you can do.

Is this a common thing for her to do? Even if its the only instance that you know of, do you think this is in-character for her, or out-of-character?

Anyways, due to the factors you list, it'll probably be a light sentence. But she needs legal counsel.

3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Yes, get her a lawyer ASAP, the faster you get one that's good, the better her outcome will be, he might be able to talk them down to reduce the charges or try to settle this out of court. If she did purchase previous products, she should have a receipt or record that she did so, coming up with that sound like it would move it back to a misdemeanor, which you really want should they decide to try her as an adult, a felony on your adult record will really screw her for however long FL mandates it remain on record until you can try for an expungement.

Chances of being tried as an adult... who knows really, thats up to the prosecutor and judge. I don't know what kind of sentencing FL has, but I'd guess the sentence would be something like probation for a while, maybe some community service and probably paying restitution for the stolen merchandise, but you can never tell, again the sentence will be recommended by the prosecutor, and it's up to the judge to decide if their recommendation is fitting, or if he wants to be more lenient.

She could also try for a plea bargain with the prosecutor, reduce the charges to something lessor in exchange for a guilty plea to better her odds. No matter what, she needs a good lawyer.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I'm sorry but that doesn't really make sense. You can tell when makeup is used, they should have been able to tell that the makeup had been purchased previously. No offense but I think it's a possibility that your girlfriend isn't telling you the truth.

I was caught when I was 17 and I was tried as an adult. Please help your girlfriend retain legal counsel and I sincerely hope she learns her lesson. Chances are she will have to pay a fine and maybe be placed on probation.

5. wtfmates

wtfmates New Member

I was with her when she bought that makeup. And they could tell it was used so they charged her for it since they can't resell it. I dunno why. I guess they just assumed she was lying.

6. johan

johan Active Member

So I take it she's not terribly convincing or quick on her feet. All the more reason why she needs a good lawyer asap.

7. Pringles

Pringles New Member

tell her your glad she is under 18. I'd also queston her personality and respect if she can't accept that it's ok not to have somethings in life that you may want no matter how much you want it. But thats just me. Doesn't look like you want relationship answers. But shes under 18 so I wouldnt worry at all. Your gonna have to pay it back and have communiuty service probably. If she was 18 it would be a way different story and that would be with her for the rest of her life and all the jobs she applies and she says shes shoplifted they would say no.

also get out the recipts to prove that you purchased the other stuff. If she doesnt have them now is a good time to start saving recipts b/c they are useful.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If she has to plead guilty to get it reduced back to a misdemeanor, do it. She will likely be tried as an adult and if she has a felony on her record it can really fuck her over for the rest of her life. It will show up on every background check run on her for a job, security clearance, anything.

9. wtfmates

wtfmates New Member

She plans on pleading guilty. Theres not much else one can do when they're caught on camera.

10. johan

johan Active Member

Sounds like she's given up. I sure hope she doesn't plan on just showing up and taking her chances. Get a good lawyer.

The system will gladly fuck her over good because the system doesn't care. She needs a good lawyer to help navigate the system and get the best possible outcome. There IS room to wiggle. Man that's 99% of what lawyers do!

She also needs a skilled advocate to speak on her behalf. It doesn't sound like she's capable of representing herself well, at least not in this setting.

11. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

she IS going to be tried as an adult. if she is going to plead guilty, have her plea bargin it down to a misdemenor, and tell her to ask for her record to be expunged afterwards

12. wtfmates

wtfmates New Member

Why do you think she'll definitely be tried as an adult?

So you all agree that she needs a lawyer though. I'll start telling her to talk to her family about getting one.

13. SovietRussia

yes, get a lawyer, otherwise the DA will push her around because he knows he can because she doesnt know the law. a lawyer will get it dropped to a misdemenor and probably be able to get it expunged later, which is the most important thing!

14. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

She's 17 and charged with a felony, and florida isn't a liberal state, they will try her as an adult.

Get a lawyer and work on a deal with the DA, since it's a first offense they will probably be willing to work with her on this. If she has a felony conviction on her record she's going to be pretty much screwed. If she plans on going to college that can screw her over as well.

15. johan

johan Active Member

If money is an issue, usually you can just talk to a lawyer for FREE, describe the situation. (Have all your facts straight.)

He/she can advise you if you need their help. Yes, believe it or not, many lawyers are pretty decent, and they are bound by a code of professional conduct.
    If he/she really doesn't think you have any problems, they'll tell you so, and you can waltz in there by yourself.

However, it sounds to me like your gf is her own worst enemy. Steals, gets caught, then just gives up and seems iffy on even mounting a defence and plans to simply plead guilty.

If they hang a felony charge on her head (not likely but it's possible) she has just flushed the next 10 years of her life down the crapper.

...and all for some crappy makeup that she would've got tired of in a few weeks anyways... Ain't life great.

16. SovietRussia

if it is a felony, you can get a public defender too. if the charges can carry any jail/prison time, you can get a public defender.

17. 7960

7960 New Member

Did she charge the other make-up? If she can show a receipt or CC statement from that store for those products then she could get that amount taken off the charges making back under a felony.

I'm not a lawyer but I'd also assume that since they're lumping the whole thing together, and since she can prove (if she has a receipt/CC statement) she really bought some of the make-up that maybe they'd drop the whole thing...............but maybe not. Get a lawyer, it's cheaper than a felony theft conviction.

18. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Public defenders really suck. To expand a little more on what I said earlier about getting caught, mine was a little higher $$ :o and I was charged with a felony and 2 misdemeanors. The $2500 I spent on a lawyer (the lawyer also let me make payments to him for 6-8 months!) was the best money I've ever spent. My public defender wanted me to please guilty to everything, my lawyer was able to plea it down to 2 misdemeanors that would be expunged after the successful completion of 3 years probation (I was let off early at 1.5 years though). DON'T let her walk into that courtroom without a lawyer if it is a felony case!

19. trfytoy

trfytoy New Member

Do not plead guilty unless there is a plea bargain! I have a felony grand theft charge against me, and got 33 days Community service, $2400 in fines and 5 years probation. I only had a public pretender(defender) though. But do NOT go in there and just plead guilty!

20. wtfmates

wtfmates New Member

Shit, I'm glad I'm talking to you guys, because I haven't even heard of a plea bargain until now.