GUN So my friend's dad wants a PT1911

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Dec 30, 2007.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Went to the range last night with them and his dad (who's pretty much a know-it-all anyways) was eyeballing a PT1911. Said he was going to purchase one soon because they were 'pretty much loaded'. :hsugh: I just kept quiet.

I'm thinking, wait til WMD and specifically 1911crew hears about this.

Disclaimer: I have no problem with said gun, I just thought it was funny. :rofl:

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I've had no problems with mine. 449 out the door.
    [​IMG]

Feeds Jhp and hardball shoots fantastic.

3. AustinL911

By 'loaded' I think $1,500+, atleast. I agree, they are a good gun for the money. But 'loaded'? I would disagree.

4. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Not my 1st choice for a 1911, and probably not even my 10th, but anyone that has one will tell you they've had no issues with it. :dunno:

I guess for a ToreAss they do pretty well.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

It's like comparing a "loaded" Kia (Moonroof, power everything, upgraded stereo) to a "loaded" Mercedes.

Sure they both have all the same features (Moonroof, power everything, upgraded stereo) but in order for Tauras to maintain a "profit margin" at such a low price point, they will sacrifice things not visible to the consumer, like quality and experienced Gunsmiths to ensure those tolerances are met as well and quality components. And those are were the real value is added. They will make sure it "runs" well enough for the money spent on it.

1911's specifically require "quality" gunsmithing and a lot of attention to detail for it to be a true "loaded" pistol. You can gather 5 complete builds and components, but you can't put them on a conveyer belt and expect them to all fit and perform the same. Quality gun smiths, do not work for that cheap, ask anyone here that's had a good smith work on their gun. And at that price point, they are not being utilized. What you are actually paying for is not the actual material, but craftsmanship from a good smith.

What you are paying for with "Nighthawks", "Ed Browns" and "Les Baer's" aren't for the compoents to give said firearm a "loaded" sense. Those parts are cheap relative to the monety to give to the time from a quality smith. The real money goes into paying for an "experienced" Gunsmiths to make sure said pistol is properly "fitted" for those parts. As each will need very special attention to detail.

Your experience with each "loaded" pistol is all relative to your expectations and past experiences. To someone for their first car, said "loaded Kia" will be the world to them. But to someone like a 45 year old businessman/woman that commutes heavily every day, and has gone through a few "loaded Kia's" that demands a more "high end" car, they will not be specifically impressed.

Not a bad gun at all for $500 and good features at that pricepoint which is low end for a 1911, but not a gun I would compare to truly "loaded" pistols like Les Baer, Night Hawks or Ed Browns. Most guns on the market will "run", heck I've even heard that Hi points are reliable.

But to most all 1911/gun "afficianado's" a guns merit isn't based purely on it's ability to hurl lead downrange. Rather a display and merge of functionality, attention to detail and craftsmanship as its percieved as being a direct reflections of it's owners high standards and attention to detail.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  6. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Why would you keep quiet? it's a great gun for the $499 sticker, with lots of goodies that people pay extra for. Ive passed 1000 rounds with mine and aside from 3 fte/ftf's in the first 100 rounds have had zero problems since. Im consistantly shooting smaller groups than my friends ( granted we can attribute that to my experience ) that shoot overpriced kimbers and Sws, and I always offer to let them shoot my taurus when theirs jam. It shoots box after box of the cheapest .45 ammo walmart has!

for over a year these were hard to get ahold of, most gun dealers had a waiting list on them or sold them out immediately when they arrived, so the demand has been high on them, and not many complaints on any board I visit.

[​IMG]

7. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

I got a PT1911 for my 21st b-day so I can't comment on the price because I don't know how much it was. But what I will say is that I have had no problems with it aside from a shitty safety that was easily replaced. Haven't adjusted the sights what so ever and the thing is a tack driver right out of the box. Only modifications I've done is put Hogue grips on it. Shoots great and I would recommend them to anyone who is thinking about buying a 1911 style pistol.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Find a better and more full featured 1911 for $500...

9. SNDP

SNDP New Member

And then let us all know where this pistol is

10. AustinL911

I see that most of WMD has missed the point of my post entirely save for AB13 and Shenaniguns. I'm NOT saying it's a horrible gun, at all. In fact, I wouldn't mind having one as a beater 1911. But when I hear 'loaded 1911', a PT1911 isn't the first thing that pops into my mind.

Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, at all. It's priced for what it is. End of story.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

12. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Oh snap yes, only $100 more with WAY fewer features. Let me get my credit card out.

Hmm pay more and get no ambi safety, no checkered front grip or trigger strap, no beveled mag feed port, no polished feed ramp..... I guess you could pay more and get all that added on later, but that's really not the whole point of a $499 coming with all that to begin with.

13. SNDP

SNDP New Member

I may be new on this forum but it's a saafe bet I've sent more pistol rounds downrange than the next ten posters here combined.

Im not saying the pt1911 is the end all of all 1911 pistols on the planet, but for $499 you sure don't find a better one which was MY point, and are nothing to scoff at for the price. When someone links to another pistol thats more expensive and less featured and someone else says "oh snap" like he just made some sort of point by totally missing the point and not even postinga link to what was asked for, you can see why it sort of makes the both of you look stupid.

14. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Smells like countertop commando in here............... :coolugh:

15. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Time to whip out your ecock.

16. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

17. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Well then you two are close. Bottom line is I asked him to post a better gun for $500, he didn't and you guys were all " Oh snap" as if he did, when if fact he didn't. So if you guys settle your duscussions by acting like posting something close to what was requested is actually what was asked for, I will know from now on where NOT to ask for something unless i want something else to be posted.

Like I said, if there's a better $500 than the PT1911, please feel free to post all of the $500 ones you can so I can make a good comparasin for the next pistol I burn through. that means $500, not almost $600.

18. SinisterHand

SinisterHand Active Member

19. SNDP

SNDP New Member

20. AustinL911

You still seem to be missing the idea behind this post.

Show me where I ever said that the PT1911 was a POS, and that much better could be had for $500. Please.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

So entertain me here. How exactly do you feel as though you are overqualified here and that somehow I'm some "noob". Exactly how many rounds exactly do YOU send downrange that you out shoot the top 10 posters here you are so confident? Give me a good laugh and tell me you are either military or LEO, or even better a range worker. lol I'm just wondering what exactly makes you so confident in that statement and you don't even know me nor anyone here. :ugh: Just because the majority of the "general board" has a bunch of dumbasses don't get things twisted up here. You haven't been here long enough to know me.

The simple fact that you criticize the STI as a "lesser" gun simply because of some cheap features the Taurus has tells me plenty of your "gun knowledge" and gives me doubt that you do any amount of shooting at the level you claim you do if your shopping for a 1911 in the $500 range.

But I hate to make some ignorant assumption without first allowing you to qualify yourself.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  22. Slick26

AB13, you are not Thomor.

Or are you? :hsugh:

jk

23. chakup

chakup Guest

1) spend more and buy a springfield or STI
    2) spend less and buy a rock island
    3) don't spend anything and play COD4

24. Slick26

:rofl::bowdown:

25. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl:

You going to buy me COD4? I've been wanting to play that for a while now.