SRS So my friend says "I think I'm depressed..."

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Falconer, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm not sure why she told me this, but here's the Cliff's Notes of our conversation. I don't know anything about depression other than the fact that it's a chemical thing in your brain, and my mom was on some medicine for it awhile ago. Anyway, here's what she said (paraphrased):

Her: I think I'm depressed.
    Me: Why?
    Her: Because I don't feel like doing anything anymore.

--Then the subject got changed. Then, later:---

Her: When I get home from work, I don't do anything. I just wait for the time to pass until I go to bed. Sometimes I'll do the dishes, or play on my computer, but I really don't have anything to look forward to until I go to bed. Sometimes I'll play sad songs and I'll sit there any cry...
    Me: Are you crying because you're sad, or because the music moves you? There's a difference between crying because of a piece of music or a movie that's personally moving and crying because you're depressed.
    Her: Well sometimes I'll just sit here and cry.
    Me: Do you feel like something is missing from your life?
    Her: Yeah, I feel empty inside. Like I don't care what happens to me anymore.
    Me: So what makes you happy? Were you depressed when you went home to visit your parents last weekend?
    Her: Maybe 10% of me.
    Me: Are you depressed when you hang out with your friends?
    Her: I haven't even seen my friends in forever.
    Me: Is that it? Is that why you're unhappy?
    Her: No, that's definately not it.

---etc.---

Me: :ugh:

So, does that sound like depression? My friend is in her mid 20s, but she's a typical hot chick with low self esteem. No pics. Don't ask.

So what can I do? She's my friend and I'd like to help her but I'm not a doctor.

2. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Really the only thing you can do is urge her to go to a doc and get checked out or get a referral. Don't worry about trying to find out what is causing it, that's not your job. Trust me, you DO NOT want to become your friend's major support for dealing with a depression. It wears you down very very quickly.

I would help her find a place she can go to get checked out, and go with her. It's probably a scary thing, and having a friend for support would help a lot.

My general rule is: If someone thinks they are depressed, the best thing is to go get it checked out, sooner rather than later.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Ummm... we dated for a bit back in the day...

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Hasn't got to do with dating anymore, its not a good idea to date someone who is mentally unstable to begin with. I know you have plans and all, but she needs to see a medical professional aka psychiater who patches her up before she is ready to engage into a full blown relationship. Even if she was faking it, its better to be safe then sorry, and when a person gives a signal like this in a conversation, its definitly something you should take serious, so advice her to see a professional, as another person said that's the only thing you can do, because you have to aknowledge that you most likely do not have the capacities to deal with her mental problems.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

So do I send her to a doctor or a psychologist?

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

It seems like she has some symptoms. You can ask her about her eating habits and sleeping habits. If they are extreme (either too much or barely getting any for either one of the two or even both of them) then I guess she should see someone. My guess would be to see both a doctor and a psychologist. Get a pill to get out of depression and get psychotherapy to stay out of it.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That person needs a hobby. A disturbing number of women make hobbies out of paying attention to their boyfriends -- she needs something OTHER than that.