SRS so my doctor put me on zoloft and lorazepam... what should i expect?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Falconer, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

im 27.

zoloft for anxiety and ocd. 50 mg per day.

lorazepam to be taken occasionally for panic attacks and accute anxiety. i've used lorazepam before so i know what to expect. i know benzodiazepines are addictive and extremely hard to come off of so i'll only take it occasionally.

he said possible sexual side effects from the zoloft. i'm like "noooo!" he said we'll deal w that later if that happens. :noes:

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

The first 2 weeks I felt awful, so expect that. I could hardly sleep, my stomach was upset constantly and I lost a few pounds....Then, like a switch went off in my head at 14 days and I started sleeping like a log, my stomach felt fine and I felt good. I didn't feel as anxious all the time.

Everyone is different. Some say it makes you gain weight, some say it fucks with your sex life, etc.

Just be prepared for the worst if it happens the first week or two. I got off of it with no issues whatsoever after almost 2 years.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

lol, like i need to lose more weight :rofl:

the doctor said i need to do stuff to reduce my stress. he said working out is a good one. he asked me if i ever work out. srsly my bdd got worse when he said that. then again i lose my appetite when i get stressed and i can lose 5-10 pounds in a few days, which happened recently. :hs:

i'm like "i kno u cant tell from looking but i lift weight 3-4 times a week. i used to compete in powerlifting!" he's like "good." lol.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i hope it makes me feel like how phenibut made me feel, except long term :big grin:

i also thought it would be cool to get Marinol (pot pills). their effects:
    - anxiety reduction (good)
    - euphoria (good)
    - appetite stimulation (good for me!)

lol. too bad those wouldnt address all my symptoms :hs:

5. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

You said youve taken the lorazepam before, so I wont get into that. I take it as needed and its nice.

The zoloft. I have never taken it, my husband did. For two weeks.

Two weeks of having sex and being THIS close to coming while it never actually happened and he was more depressed than when he started. So they switched him to wellbutrin, which worked well.

6. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

You should expect to lose your sex drive, appetite, and emotions. If you want to be a zombie SSRIs are for you!

7. iwishyouwerebeer

I'm just going to stress again after reading the last two replies: try to give it at least a month before you give up on it (this is assuming you have bad reactions to it). Because like I mentioned, after 2 weeks I was completely golden.

8. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Yeah, I tried to convince my husband to stick it out, but he refused. :(

Ive been on celexa for a month now and side effects are going away.

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ What sides did you get from celexa?

10. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

1. Vivid dreams. Not nightmares, just vivid, and I remember more of them for longer.
    2. I have to pee alot, this only lasted about 3 days, but was BAD.
    3. They make me sleepy. I had to start taking them at night rather than morning or all I wanted to do was nap all day.

Havent had any sexual side effects with this one at all.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

well i just took the first pill. i'm super nervous with everything i've read.

beer, did u ever drink or toke while u were on it?

12. iwishyouwerebeer

Actually not for a while. From what I remember the first two weeks I didn't want to upset my body any more, you know? I honestly don't recall even later it really phasing me at all whether I drank or possibly smoked :dunno:

Don't be nervous :hs: It's just a pill. If you find it doesn't work then you get off of it. Zoloft is definitely one of the easier one's.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

holy shit i just threw up. is that a side effect? i was feeling kinda anxious/queasy since i took the pill 3 hours ago. i think i might not take anymore...

14. iwishyouwerebeer

:eek3: WHAT DID I TELL YOU.

It makes you feel really sick and nausoeus for a few days.

I know you don't want to lose more weight but it's an early side effect that passes, trust me on that.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

it's not about losing weight. i never want to feel that way again.

16. iwishyouwerebeer

Yeah, it's not a fun feeling for sure, but it does pass :hs: I took mine right before bed BTW, it helped because I slept through most of it.

17. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

I just got off of 100 mg of Zoloft last month after being on it for a year. When I first started taking it, I had an upset stomach, couldn't sleep, and felt like a zombie for about a week. I literally had NO emotions whatsoever.

After a week of taking it, I felt like normal, no sexual side effects (although my doctor did also say that would be a risk), and I just got off of it feeling like a whole new person.

Good luck, give it a couple weeks and let your doctor know of any side effects.

18. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

50mg is a very small dose so I wouldnt expect terrible side effects.

I was on a higher dosage than that and the only side effect I experienced was the lack of sex drive, which was terrible. That was one of the main reasons I switched to Effexor (which was absolutely terrible).

Stick it out and see how it makes you feel. After a month or so go back to your doc and discuss how it has worked.

From personal experience never EVER go to Effexor unless its your last option. The side effects and withdraw in particular are INTENSE and not desirable.

19. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i just woke up. last night was awful. i laid awake in bed staring at the ceiling w my heart racing the entire time, the room was spinning, and when i'd close my eyes i'd have these weird ass visions or mini dreams that would last about 10 seconds. i hardly slept and i feel like a zombie today.

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

so i just threw up again.

SSRIs are scary. my mom was on paxil for 4 days and it gave her a seizure so then she switched to zoloft which she likes.

when i get out of the bathroom im going to call my dr.

21. iwishyouwerebeer

Yep, I remember all of that :mamoru:

22. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

The doctor said that's not normal and I shouldn't take anymore until Monday, and then take a half of pill.

So we'll see...

23. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I've been doing research and can't really find any non-SSRI medications for OCD. There are some for depression (Wellbutrin I think) that aren't SSRIs, but I"ve heard reports of Wellbutrin actually making OCD worse.

Honestly I'm not even really depressed. I'm kinda unmotivated, and I'm not as happy as I was when I was a little kid and every day was a fun party. I don't have dark of suicidal thoughts or anything. I really only want medicine for the OCD because it's starting to get bad and manifest itself physically which scares the hell out of me.

24. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

Have you tried behavior therapy? I have OCD and medications have never helped, but therapy did.

Im interested in knowing what your triggers and such are, if you are willing to talk about it.

25. fray

fray New Member

I don't know what your typical symptoms are, so this may be out-of-line, but are you sure some of the nausea and sleep issues weren't related to your anxiety over taking the drug to begin with?