GUN So my dad's new Mark III 22/45 Hunter blew up after 20rds...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Sep 5, 2009.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

According to him, it did.

So he bought a NIB 22/45 from a local (to him) gun store. Took it out to the range to put some rounds (not sure what kind) through it. He put about 20 rounds through it, and noticed that it seemed abnormally loud for a .22. He also mentioned to me that it was throwing brass straight back in his face, which he thought was odd. He also mentioned that the gun was grouping like absolute dog shit.

Anyways, I guess after 20 or so rounds, the gun blew up. Apparently the top of the chamber/receiver was blown apart, as well as the polymer grip, and some other shit. He found that the casing was ripped to pieces and part of it was still stuck in the chamber.

He failed to take pics of it before taking it back to the gun shop for them to assess/fix the situation.

At this point, it sounds like he's going to wait to hear back from Ruger.

My theory is that the gun was firing out of battery for some reason, though I've never messed with a Mark III to see how they work, exactly.

Thoughts on what would cause this?

P.S. His finger hurts, a lot. :mamoru:

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

3. AustinL911

Ruger KBs! :eek3:

4. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

He wasn't using that hyper velocity shit, was he?

5. AustinL911

No idea, really.

6. Probably bad reloads.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol

8. AustinL911

Loose primer pocket.

9. It happens to the best of us. :mamoru:

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I don't think I've ever heard of someone blowing up a Ruger rimfire.

Would be curious to hear what Ruger has to say about it, if anything.

11. AustinL911

I'm still questioning how a .22 would have enough pressure to 'blow up' a gun. Like I said, I haven't seen it so I'm not quite sure how bad my dad's making it out to be.

12. One of the guys at my local rifle league was shooting a .22 kit in an AR, and he had an OOB incident. All it did was rupture the .22 case and give him a face full of gas. He actually cleared the malfunction and completed his run. I'd be interested too to see how a .22 would be able to blow up a gun.

13. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

a gun doesnt blow up a little or blow up a lot... if it blows up to any degree, its bad news. even if hes exaggerating... im still interested to see what happened and why. .22 doesnt exactly pack a big bang

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I was actually had that written, then noticed it was the polymer framed 22/45 (I was scratching my head trying to invision how the hell a all steel tank like MK* series blew up). Still think that the mundane pressures associated with the 22LR round would be hard press to really fuck anything up too bad.

It almost strikes me that something very strange would have had to happen.

15. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Could it have been a cracked frame that just fell apart after so much recoil?

16. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

It definitely does. I used to work at a rifle range at a Boy Scout camp, and we've had a blown up barrel in the shed for years that we always show the kids to tell them not to fuck around if they have a misfire/squib. Apparently there was a squib, bullet got stuck about 3/4 of the way down the barrel, a kid loaded another round and fired, barrel bulged out in the middle and has four 7-8" long ruptures running along it. I was surprised too that a .22 had that much power. It wasn't totally banana peeled like in Bugs Bunny cartoons, but it was definitely a nasty blowout.

17. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

:dunno: Maybe if the chamber was cut incorrectly and it was not going into full battery and the expanding unsupported brass was stressing the mouth of the chamber. Similarly, if it was going into battery but creating excessive pressure by forcing some of the case into the barrel itself it could have been stressing the whole chamber upon firing. In either situation perhaps the first 20 rounds might have weakened/cracked the chamber allowing it to actually blow up. I'm just guessing really, but maybe someone with more knowledge or experience could explain if that's possible. Regardless, I'm curious to hear what Ruger says.

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Maybe the case was completely full of primer compound?

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

im interested to know what ammo he was using

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I could see how it could be a squib. But generally those just bulge the barrel. I've seen revolver guys who were rocking the trigger put 4 bullets in the barrel making a super squib. Minor barrel bulge (revolver guys wuss load their ammo). I would think a 22lr would not be able to split a barrel

I could also see how it coulb be a kB. If the barrel got really leaded, or the barrel was not headspaced correctly where it was short but still able to chamber. This would blow out the case. We've all seen kB's where the gun was completely destroyed. I've seen and experieinced minor kB's where the mag shot out the bottom, extractor came flying off but not blow up the gun kB. kB's can also be caused by double charged loads too. From the sound of the damage I would say double charge and/or headspace.

Firing out of battery usually means a minor kB. It depends on how much in battery it was. If it came out of battery early which is usually weak recoil spring minor kB. Still scares the shit out of you though. If it fires before the round chambers completely, like say with the bullet still on the feed ramp which I can see a rimfire doing then it would be a major kB for sure.

21. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

A guy I know also had a 22/45 blow up on him. It had been customized by Clark Customs just prior, so he sent it back and they claimed it had something to do with the loaded chamber indicator setting off the next round prematurely.

22. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I've always heard that the best to use for breaking in a new rimfire is CCI Mini-Mags, and I've never had any issues with them... but :dunno:

I'm actually looking into buying a 22/45 Mk-III right now if I can find a 5.5" BBL Stainless for a decent price. If this is a more widespread issue with recently made NIB guns I might just have to go find a used one instead.

23. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

any updates?

25. AustinL911

None really. Found out he was using Velocitor ammo (never heard of it). I think he initially over exaggerated the blowing up part of the story. Come to find out, all it really did was blow out the loaded chamber indicator. Still no word on why.