SRS So my dad...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EscapingJail, Jun 26, 2007.

1. EscapingJail

EscapingJail Playing To Win

Has proof that my mother has been cheating on him for the past year. Today is he getting a divorce, I can't blame him for getting one since I would do the same thing in his shoes. I'm 18 years old and am the oldest child. I have 3 younger brothers 16,8,6. As of right now I have an immense amount of depression. For the first time in my life I really cant take the depression.

I can't imagine a life without my mother. Is there anyway I can become less depressed or feel better so I don't make a stupid decision during this time?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

The most important thing to do in this situation right now is to take care of your 3 younger brothers. I'm sure the 16 year old can fend for himself at this point, but it is your job as the oldest in your family to make sure that your 2 youngest brothers are happy throughout this experience.

If you watch after them and make sure that they stay happy, you will most likely have moments of time where you are not thinking about the divorce. It will probably be a little better for your depression as well.

Are you sure that it is just depression and not hatred?

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I feel bad for your dad but you are 18 now time to grow up you can still have a close connection with both your parents why are you so depressed over this it wasnt your fault or anything

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Luckily you are the oldest and wisest out of your siblings. Do not let your moms bad judgements alter your perception of happiness and love. Do not disown your mom because you will always regret it later. Stick by both your parents and express to them how you feel especially. They have a right to know how this has affected you. Most importantly, do NOT do anything to yourself because of this, the pain will pass.

5. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

I think you have an advantage being the oldest child. You had your entire life with your parents being together. You had the opportunity to build a relationship with both of them, and are very capable of maintaining a relationship with both of them even if they're lot living under one roof.

Your younger siblings (who I assume don't drive yet, and have less freedom) may only get to visit the non custody parent based on court order or whenever the dominant parent feels like driving. I believe you're free to visit whomever you want.

I can understand that this is a stressful thing to experience. Do NOT blame yourself and do not think that you could have stopped it or saved the marriage. Your mother is the one who was unfaithful, and honestly, I believe your father may be better off without her. Even though your parents wont be together anymore, that will not affect their love for you, or any of your siblings.

I think that for now, you need to accept the way things are and try to work with what you have. I would NOT try to fix anything. It is up to them if they ever want to work things out.

Just try to be emotionally stable for the sake of your younger siblings. Through your strength and support, they will be able to realize that they still have a loving family who cares about them, regardless of if their parents live together or not.