MMA so my college has an interesting club...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Nomad, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

the college i'm going to this fall (York College of Pennsylvania, had to change colleges ftl) doesn't have any sort of martial arts clubs or so....but they have something called "FIGHT CLUB". it's a school sponsored club where people who want to spar/train get together and do standup work, along with grappling and such....seems a pretty good alternative to training at an MMA gym (especially since PA bans MMA) what do you all think?

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

sounds like a bunch of guys with no training trying to pretend they are "cage fighters".

you never know, so its worth checking out, but i wouldn't get your hopes up.

3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i was just going to go and work on my ground work (i'm a beginner in BJJ and can't find any schools near me, since i don't have a car, and i did HS wrestling for 2 years) and probably some stand up....but yeah, odds are that its just a bunch of fucking guidos thinking they'll get a UFC contract in the next day or two....

4. ilduce

ilduce New Member

I am from the area and there are a couple of gyms in Lancaster if you are interested in that?? I went to one the other night and it was pretty fun. My brother and good friend train a bit there and I was staying with him for a few days before heading to Florida and it was a good time. And since was MMA banned and why the heck did you choose York??

5. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

mainly it had to do with housing....see my family lives overseas and i got into a couple other colleges, but they wouldn't guarantee housing for me...but York did, so i took them up on that offer....i'm not too upset about MMA being banned in PA, from what i know of the geography York isn't that far from the Maryland border and whatnot....

but basically i was just looking for somewhere to train BJJ and possibly even some stand up..

worst part of it all, i'm too poor to buy a car, so i don't think i could find someone who is that into BJJ to drive every couple of days for a two hour lesson or so...

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

here is the info that the schools website has (i'll get all updates and photos and what not as soon as i can...school hasn't started yet...)

7. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Yeah it is pretty much right next to the border but it is going to be trouble getting to Maryland because after York there isnt too much until Bawlmer!

8. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Oh and I will ask around for you while I am here.

9. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

:bigthumb:

thanks dude...

i've googled some stuff and got a couple of places that seem worth looking into

10. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

that description basically made it sound like what checkii described. no actual teaching, just guys sparring. and probably poorly.

11. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

it's still better than sitting around complaining imo...i'll go and just work on what i want, which like i said earlier is nothing related to being an MMA fighter, just practicing for the highly unlikely event of being in a fight....but it's college, so you never know....

edit: i'm really more annoyed that they don't have a BJJ club or group nearby....

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

yeah, you think that, but bad habits are dangerous.

you seem like a sharp guy and know the difference between a bunch of douche bags beating on each other and a group of athletes training. Good luck with it and if its a waste of time you can always hit the bag by yourself.

13. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

yeah, i'll go and check it out...if there is at least one other guy who isn't just some fucker with a hard on for beating people up i'll probably just practice with him.

14. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

find the guy who actually has rank, and train with him. sure two newbs can sit down and watch tutorials and drill stuff, but you may develope bad habits that dont get spotted until you roll with someone who's actually been trained.

15. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

from the literature the school is providing detailing what the club is, there doesn't seem to be an actual "teacher" just people learning from each other. we'll see though, i'll update when i can..but that won't be for about 3 weeks or so.

16. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Kind of what I thought when I first read it.

:hs:

Go check it out, and be damn careful the first little bit if you stay. Getting caught up rolling with somebody who gets upset and won't stop if you tap sucks.

17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Sounds interesting.

18. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i was watching a lot of them last night, and today at my BJJ class we learned the armbar from guard, armbar when opponent stands, and gomoplata (sp?) so the vids really did help...:bigthumb: