MIL So my best friend is gonna be a SPECIAL FORCES DOCTOR now :rolleyes: & a question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

So my best friend was like "yeah, i'm going to volunteer for special forces and i'll get to wear my special forces badge and be a real special forces guy" I swear to god those were his exact words verbatim. So I was like "well, isn't it tough to do that and doesn't pretty much EVERYONE else want to volunteer for it so there's a lot of competition"

He said that most of the med school students there at the officer basic course with him are fat slobs who don't want to be there and they're just there for the money so according to him, NO army doctors want to be a "special forces doctor" so if he volunteers he'll automatically become one.

He can't even do 20 pushups, he has a shoulder problem where it pops out of it's socket like when he does lots of pushups and whatnot, he can't do any pullups, can't even do 20 pushups, and he thinks he'll easily volunteer for SF and be a quote "special forces guy!"

When he first got to OBC and he told me they gave him his own fancy apartment and all sorts of stuff, I said "oh I thought you'd be living in open squad bays with no phone access and lot's of yelling and shit for the next 6 weeks with no weekend libo or anything" and he was like "if it was like that I never would have done it"

Is it really as easy for doctors to become SF like he says it is or what? If there is any kind of advanced selection process or something like there for SF doctors like every enlisted has to go through, or are any doctors allowed to do it just because they're doctors and officers? If there's a hard selection process like there is for enlisted, there's no chance in hell that he would make it.

2. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Tell us the truth now... there is no best friend and you are making up stories just to yank people's chain. :hsugh:

3. Accord

Accord New Member

no, I swear to god I am telling the truth. He's there right now at fort sam houston in Texas at the medical officer basic course.

4. burton564

burton564 New Member

personally i've never heard of a SF M.D.

5. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

He still has to pass all requirements of SF course. He WILL NOT be automatically awarded the SF tab because he is a doctor. Tell your friend to come to Teh Barracks so we can proceed to rip him apart please.

6. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

:werd:

7. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

in the Navy there's 2 different designations of Officers. Line and Staff. Staff officers are those that would be considered "Professionals" in the civilian world, ie Doctors, Lawyers, Supply officers etc. These officers can't take command of a vessel, and can't volunteer for any sort of "special" duty assignments. I'm sure that there's some sort of designation similar to this in the other branches.

8. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

There's 6 different naval officer designations...

Unrestricted Line
    Restricted Line
    Special Duty
    Staff Corps
    Limited Duty
    Chief Warrant

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

When do you ship out again?

10. Accord

Accord New Member

no, end of August.

11. pakman

pakman New Member

Not soon enough.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

:squint: :ugh: :noes:

13. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

I WANT TO BE A SF JAG!

i'm gonna go to hardcore specop missions and slam a bible and a law book at the fucking terrorists faces as my SOCOM buddies pump them with lead.

yeah! hardcore SF JAG!

14. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

First off he is an officer. There is only one job for officers and that is a 18A Special Forces Team Leader. He will not attend the 18D SF Medic course unless he wants become an NCO. Some of the 18D at some point may get their PA's but I don't think there are any MD's on teams.

15. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

doctors don't normally go on those type of missions anyways. Even the SEALs and Fleet Marine Forces use Navy Corpsman. They'll bandage you up, do what they can to bring you back, but they aren't going to perform open heart surgery on you or some shit:o

16. Accord

Accord New Member

You guys are gonna love this one... so last week I was telling him about my new Pioneer GPS system I just got for my car and he goes "I don't need a GPS, just give me a compass and a topographic(?) map and i'll get you anywhere" and I just gave him my usual :ugh2: response. I was so tempted to make a joke 2ndlt joke but I didn't :o.

17. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

This is why Army SF have SF Medics who are trained to do trauma surgery if needed to save someone among there other skills and training.

18. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

we need to just send someone to the base to kick the everloving shit out of this guy :rofl:

19. burton564

burton564 New Member

thats some shit right there. Granted i haven't been in the army that long, but the only people that i know in the army that are REAL good with maps, are 19d's. cav scouts. them motherfuckers can read a map.

20. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

Your friend seems like an idiot. How is he your best friend again?

I'm probably going to be going to be taking Army HPSP for dental school, but hes not able to do 20 pushups and watns to be SF? :rofl:^10

I know that the APFT and its runs are done by 'ability' group in OBC and most of the people there except for previous service and the few serious guys are there for the money. Many are probably fat slobs like he said, many are girls who have no clue what the fuck is going on and were nerds in college. Besides the army (and other branches) have been taking basically anybody with a pulse has been granted a waiver because of the shortage. Army Medicine is not what it used to be. It is a fucking mess, any of these idiots going in for the money without knowing all the cons are retarded.

I highly doubt hes ever getting a long tab. He can easily probably go to Airborne/Air Assualt school. Maybe even Ranger school, but I dont know about that one. And for Ranger school hes not gonna be getting special treatment.

21. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Remind him he might need a protractor also. Have him explain to you intersection and resection also.

22. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Please convince your friend to join ANYTHING but the Army.

23. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

well i hear family practice flight surgeon slots in the chair force are up for grabs

24. Accord

Accord New Member

It's a little late for that now, lol... and money talks.