GUN So maybe the LCP isn't so great afterall

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thegooch, May 11, 2008.

1. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I guess it's time for me to eat some crow. I've had 5 stovepipes and 2 Failure to feed's out of the 250 rounds I've shot. The hammer is way off center, same frame peening as the Keltec's and some unknown frame wear. Ruger is getting a call on Monday. I bought Ruger in the hopes that the LCP wouldn't have the same problems inherent with the P3AT....guess I was wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

WOW. That hammer is WAY off. Holy shit!

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It is a clone :big grin:

4. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

one would think that Ruger would not make the same mistakes as Keltec....guess I was wrong.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

That's a real bummer. Hopefully they can make things right for you.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't see any reason to think keltec is making any mistakes. If there was a problem it would be fixed, there's no reason to put thousands of buggy guns out and let your reputation take a hit if you can help it. I think tiny light autos are just hard to make work. People spend a grand on the rohrbaugh and still wind up with the same problems that we see on keltecs.

For what its worth, the frame wear you're seeing is considered normal on p3at. The case hits there sometimes but of course the wear is self limiting. I wouldn't worry too much about it myself. What ammo have you run through yours? My p3at will run wwb and umc all day long but I can't get through a mag of some stuff like "independence" without issues. With the tiny guns you might have to try a few different flavors to find one that works.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Food for thought: If Ruger was really trying to avoid the Kel Tec mistakes, they probably wouldn't have gone for the 1st gen P3AT extractor design. If Kel Tec has abandoned it, it's probably not the best idea.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

make the same mistakes? shit, all they did was stamp "ruger" into it :mamoru:

9. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I bought a PF9 for pocket carry and was a little leery based on all the crap you hear about Keltec. Mine has been 100% fucking flawless out of the box. A 9mm that can hold 8 rounds, thin and light, for $240? That scores points in my book. Most of the bugs have been worked out of their guns, even though some of the haters don't like to hear it.

FWIW, I laugh my ass off at the LCP posts on other gun boards. When the Ruger has a problem it's just "ammo sensitive", when a Kel-tec has the same problem it's a cheap piece of shit. Amazing.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The grip looks nicer too :rofl:

I shoulder order one for my keltec.

Have you fired any 147gr ammo through it? :big grin:

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Yup, and some 124 +P HST's. It's like getting hit in the hand with a hammer. :wiggle:

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Glad to hear it, I couldn't get my sub2k to feed 147gr for anything and I knew the first run of the pf9 wasn't faring much better.

13. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The newer models are fine, mine is a R7xxx serial. If you are in the market, just make sure you get one with R7 and above and you'll be good to go. The finish on the blued model isn't great, if you can find a parkerized one I'd go with that, or the hard chome. Mine is park'ed and I've had no finish issues so far.

I got lucky and found mine at a local shop, dealers are having a really hard time keeping them in stock. Many places have waiting lists, I guess the word is out.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (T-mobile Dash: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

i'm going to the gun shop to pick up a blued slide and grey framed pf9. they haven't had any for the past 3 weeks, and they jst now got two in stock. they said all 5 of their vendors were out of stock. i guess that means their popular for a reason.
    do the pf9s need a fluff and buff like the p3at? after i did it to my p3at it's ran fine.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Is the PF9 small enough for pocket carry? I want a P3at but would rather have 9mm just because I don't want another (weaker) handgun caliber.

16. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

People claim to pocket carry G30's and G26's. Depends on you, personally I think the PF9 would warrant and IWB or ankle holster. That's according to how I dress though. I've met folks who can CC a G35 in an OWB just fine.

17. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I pocket carry mine in a Mikas pocket holster or an Uncle Mike's #4 and I have no problems.

18. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

No fluff & buff was needed for mine. At last count I'm at 475 rounds right out of the box with 0 malfunctions.

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (T-mobile Dash: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

i just picked mine up and put a mag through it. worked just fine. r8xxx serial. I'm still in debate on whether or not to keep the p3at or sell it to my dad for him to carry. it runs fine and dissapears in my pocket, i just don't know if i'll still carry it.

20. Dumbstixlars

Idk how you do it, wish I could. :hs:

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

22. Dumbstixlars

Damn. :eek3:

23. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

24. VANOS

VANOS .

They already fixed the peening problem and are now shipping them out with that piece of the slide milled out.

[​IMG]

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:rofl: I guess it will make the owners feel better but that looks like an amputation of a solution :big grin: