So many extra cables!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

What do you guys do with extra cables. I run an office of 50 users and I inherited several paper boxes full of power cables, old parallel and serial cables, VGA cables, the list goes on. Now Im about to refresh all the desktops and every one is going to come with a power, DVI, and VGA cables that I don't need. What do you do with old cables? I know there is a little bit of copper in all of them, is it worth it to try to get it out? Im open to suggestions here.

2. caddymac

caddymac New Member

1) Donate cables to a local charity
    2) Sell cables by the box full on craigslist for $5/box.

3. ΣGC Piro

ΣGC Piro Guest

Charity is your best bet. And it's just an overall nice thing to do.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I dumped them on the floor, pulled out the ones that were in the best condition (and any that were "special", like they had flat conductors or two plugs at the end, etc.) and then I took the rest to the local metals recycling place and got paid $75 for them. There's a reason they used to make money out of copper back in the day.

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

There are a bunch of local shady mom and pop stores that still service ancient stuff, we usually put them up for auction and tell them and they bid on them lot by lot.

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I always keep a good sized stash of them... never know when I'll need something for a customer or for one of my own projects.

7. muchepicfail

muchepicfail Member

This might be a long shot but if you have a dvi to vga cable, a normal dvi cable, and/or a dvi to vga adapter, then I'd gladly appreciate it if you could donate them to me :wavey:

8. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if you're at a company, you probably shouldn't give them away.. never know when they might need them in the future and then it's "what? you gave away company property?!". wrap them up, label them, sort and store them

9. caddymac

caddymac New Member

My company is so huge into lean for pretty much everything that if something isn't labeled or in use, it gets tossed. Not to mention that cables have probably depreciated to the point that giving away or throwing away has about the same impact to a company.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Get your manager to write them off and then recycle them.