So like, what I've done for the past 21 years doesn't work. Advice?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by CabbieNamedAxel, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Those 21 years being my whole life, I've always been a fattie. I was nearly 12lbs when I was born, and now I'm nearly 400lbs and 6'4". I know I'll never be a small guy (hell, my I wear a size 8 hat and its really tight on me, and my head is shaved), but I need to get my ass in gear and get healthy. I have a gym membership, but no transportation. Also, I'm lucky enough to be in the position that my job will actually benefit. I'm an apprentice butcher, so I can pretty much get whatever meat for whatever price. And since I work in a market and not a butcher shop, I can get great produce extremely cheap.

My diet ideas always suck, and I never know what the best workout would be. At the moment, my buddy and I are saving cash to make a workout room in my garage, but even then we don't really know what to get. Any advice would be great, and yea I've read a lot of the archives, so I know some of the diet basics (i.e. oatmeal/tuna/fruits&veggies = win).

Right now, and this is just me trying something new, for Lent I'm going with a no meat diet. Heavy on fish, especially sole and tuna, and a lot of salads. Tonights dinner was about half a pound of petrale sole in a frying pan with olive oil, s&p, and lemon, and every vegetable I could find tossed on some lettuce with more lemon and olive oil.

2. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

good luck

basically, diet + exercise = profit. it sucks that you don't have transportation to/from the gym, but you can still do cardio (walking/running/biking/whatever to maintain an elevated heart rate)

use www.fitday.com to track your diet (ballparking doesn't really work that well) and be consistent + patient. results will come

3. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

wow at 400 pounds :eek3: :hs:

dont get wrapped up into some advanced diet program, count cals find maintence and eat slightly below. At your level a very simple program will have you progressing on a weekly basis. Exploit a simple program for as long as you can before moving onto to something more advanced.

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

pretty much... gotta crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run

5. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

Take the bus to the gym or go right after class (supposing you're at 24). Do some cardio on the elliptical so it'll be easy on your knees.

Here's an oldie but goodie:
    Monday
    Squats-5x5(Do four progressively heavier sets of 5 with the 5th set being your 5RM.)
    Deadlifts-5x5(Do the same)
    Bench Press-5x5(Do the same)
    Incline DB Press-2x12-20

Wednesday
    Light Squats or Lunges-4x8 each leg
    Good Mornings-3x8-12
    Shoulder Press-5x5 or Dips-4xmax until you get 12 each time. then add weight.
    Pullups-4xmax

Friday
    Squats-warmup to a 3 reps with 5 more lbs than you used on Monday. On the following monday use this weight for your 5th set. - YOU ********TING SKEETRAGS, WARM UP TO A THREE REP MAX WITH 5lbs MORE THAN YOUR HEAVIEST SET ON MONDAY. THE NEXT MONDAY USE THAT WEIGHT ON YOUR LAST SET.
    Bent Over Row-5x5
    Incline Bench-5x5
    Tricep Extensions-2x12-20

GOOOO LENT!

edit: hi shuk.

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Probably at the weight you're at now, you could just cut your calories down and lose amazing amount of weight. You MUST count your calories accurately. No cheating. As mentioned earlier in this thread use www.fitday.com to track your calories.

I would say cutting your calories to 2000 a day would cause a large amount of weight loss for someone your size.

Go for a calorie split like: 40% of calories from protein 30% from fat and 30% from carbs.

DO NOT CHEAT.
    DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED AND LAPSE BACK INTO OLD HABITS!
    GET SOME EXERSIZE DAILY!

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Don't think this is a great idea for an utter beginner who's 400lbs.

8. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

start off using a treadmill and some free weights to do bench press, deadlifts, some basic movements.. get into the habit of lifting and eating cleanly -- after that, you can get more specific with your workout.

right now, cut your diet down by 500 calories for the next 2 weeks, see what happens.. then lower it another 500 cals..

9. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

:werd: or maybe not any beginner at all - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1470868

10. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Yeah you really dont need heavy weight workouts at the gym. Drop your gym pass if you have no way of getting there and save that money as well. Light weights, if any... But you need to focus on heavy cardio. (fast walking, jogging when you can, maybe purchase an eliptical with that gym money to put in front of the TV for 1 hr a night)...But yah..NO CHEATING because you really are just cheating yourself.

As far as diet, sounds like the right track. Focus on smaller meals, more frequently to keep up metabolism (maybe want to find a substitute for olive oil). Careful on snacking and count your calories. I would give you a suggestion as to target calories but w/ your weight, i dont know...n e one? (<2500? with an hour cardio?)

11. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

Even if he starts off light?

edit: Give up WoW for lent :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

:werd:

it's not a good idea for someone who's never lifted weights period, whether they're obese or not

13. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

use fitday.com start logging your cal , fat , etc. Green tea, veggies, no pop, lean meat, moteration, 5-6 small small meals. Log everything with fitday and post for suggestions.

For now , get an mp3 player, and start walking around the area. Build some endurance first i guess, start working on jogging? And maybe unweighted squats, lunges, some small barbell curls, presses , etc? Im sure you will beable to loose allot of weight within a few months. Then when you are down to a healther weight you can start a weighed routine.

Hows that fitness gurus? We dont wanta give this guy a heart attack.

14. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

Heres a word, heart to heart man...

Last year i was 6'4, 378lbs. Almost damn near right where you are. I've tried them all...south beach, atkins, just cutting calories on my own, working out, and the only one I ever had success on was atkins. I went from 318 to 250 in a few months. But like I said, it all came back plus because i ended up going to 378. I then tried weight watchers. This is the best thing since sliced bread! I went from 378 to 291lbs in about half a year. Then I got married, went on a honeymoon, quit the diet and went back to 338. January 1st i got back on weight watchers and I weighed in at 302.5 today. This diet is great cause it limits what you can eat. You get only so many points and after that you are done. Excerise is key in weight loss. I say give it a go, I know being big sucks and I know its also hard to control your eating. This diet was the best for me. You have to stick with it though, don't think of it as a diet, think of it as a lifestlye change. DO NOT get down to your goal or just get low like I did and think you can go back to old habits, it makes things worse. Good luck man, I'm rooting for you.

15. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Weight watchers is just an expensive way to count calories if I'm not mistaken.

16. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

is there a name for this routine? looks like a modified bill starr. no bicep curls? not even once a week?

17. benny196

benny196 New Member

There food isn't special, so if you have any amount of selfcontrol you should be able to lose weight without weightwatchers.

18. Ceaze

It is.

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Quoted for truth. What obese people need is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
    The diet posted in NoQuarter's thread would work pretty well, just as any other diet would, as long as you learn to control portions and make good choices.

20. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

yea it's all about how strong you can control your mind. of course i don't know what it's like to be 300+ pounds. i never hovered above 160lbs, but i've been 160 for the past year, and have converted lots of fat to muscle.

i didn't think i would've been able to take away the ice cream and chips. again, not like i had a lot, but i still had my fair share of junk food.

you just have to take it slowly. i would have my junk food on off-days (yea a bit counterproductive, but i didn't like the idea of having junk food on the days i worked out because it "seemed" like a waste of a workout).

slowly but surely, i wouldn't even touch junk food anymore. they actually gross me out a little.

and one of the more important part i think, lay off the soda and juice. tea and coffee (black or with splenda - no sugar) are great alternatives.

it's all about dedication and your ability to control your urges.

21. Ceaze

Obese do better on keto diets due to insulin/leptin resistance

22. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Then again, the problem is that it's a diet and they gain it back when they get off of it.

23. Ceaze

a person could say that about any eating advice you give them

24. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

I do use the gym membership on occasion, but I'm not paying for it so I'm not worried. Its only $100 a year, and I play raquetball every once in awhile with my friend.

I've been snacking, but on fruits and vegetables. For example, before heading out, I cut up a cucumber and ate that, and had an apple later on.

For my size, what would be a good amount of calories?

(and yea Mark, it's at 24 hour, and I got tired of WoW and uninstalled last month, lole)

25. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i was 380 about 100 pounds ago, use fitday to track your calories, cut the damn calories, walk around the block, ride a bike, do some pushups cancel your cable tv service. getting rid of your TV will probably get you off your ass like it did me and help ya along. take away your distractions get active (even though it won't be high intensity, jsut move around and get off the couch) cut your calories. if you drink soda, don't anymore if you eat fast food don't anymore etc etc. don't do this no meat diet shit, eat a balanced diet carbs protein fat etc just keep your calories at a better level. MOVE AROUND, Get that metabolism going. Turn your computer off and walk around the block until your tired, now go quit talking about it, don't sit around hoping for a magic fix, you didn't get to 400 pounds overnight and you won't get down to 200 pounds overnight, start now, get up and move and track your damn cals on fitday, you'll be amazed how bad you eat when you track it and look at the big ass list everyday

and for the record i'm 6'3" and was 12 pounds when i was born so we're pretty damn close in our stats other than i'm 10 years older. (yes i know i'm still fat so don't bother pointing that out lol)

*edit, i just realized the no meat thing was due to lent so nevermind that part lol*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.