So let's say you were broke.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Virtualmikey, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

and on the road working. You have bills piling up, and you haven't worked in about 15 months. You are just getting back to work, but the real money wont get in for about a month and a half.

Yeah, that's me. I'm broke as fuck, and My wife and kids need to eat too.

While I'm on the road, I'm trying to spend as little money as possible. I typically live out of hotels, so I dont have a kitchen or big fridge. Hell, I dont even have a microwave right now.

What is the absolute bare minimum I can eat and stay healthy? I have a physical job, so I can't just say fuck it and fast. (I did that before for about a week. Not as hard as you think, but dont expect to run the Kona Ironman on it. You have no energy whatsoever.)

I'm thinking -

Canned Tuna
    Canned Green Beans, Corn, etc.
    Fruit
    Carton of Whole Milk every other day.
    Those packs of Pre-cooked brown rice you can pop in the microwave.

What else would I need to make it on the absolute bare minimum? I'd also like to keep it to around 1500 calories a day or less.

Yes, I know this is stupid. But I'm not doing it forever. I just need to save every dime I can.

2. Ichinichi

Ichinichi take dat blue pill

i thought you said you don't have a microwave...

3. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

top ramen!

4. Reign

Reign Banned

Canned Salmon and Chicken too. Protein/meal bars... dunno man. Go to the grocery store and look.

5. michael grabtree

michael grabtree OT Supporter

just buy whatevers on sale...

6. Virtualmikey

I didn't say I was going to heat it up.

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

- Canned tuna
    - Canned chicken
    - Dark chocolate (find it cheap. It's loaded with fat and antioxidants)
    - Peanut butter sandwiches (whole wheat bread and peanut butter)
    - High protein cereals such as Kashi Go Lean Crunch & Special K Protein Plus

8. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

Shit thats rough, there is no way you can boil water or anything? Canned tuna, canned veggies, protein bars and meal bars, cans of slimfast, loaf of bread peanut butter and jelly.

9. Zoolander

Zoolander OT Supporter

Oh shit, there ya go. Milk plus a box of cereal.

10. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

rather focus on feeding your family good food. exercise can come later.

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Honestly, I think I'd just say this is the time to focus on cheap, filling food, and worry about the rest later :hug:

peanut butter sammiches
    yogurt
    milk
    cheese (string cheese is usually pretty cheap and a decent value for the money)
    sandwiches in general- deli meat in those little packages isn't too bad a value in this case

Is it the sort of thing where you're in a place for a week so you can keep bread etc around, or are you moving around day to day?

12. Ichinichi

Ichinichi take dat blue pill

oh! most supermarkets have a semi-hidden distressed packaging section with dented cans or torn boxes from shipping or while unloading. just ask any of the employees in the aisles.

13. Virtualmikey

No no, the family is fine. They eat whatever they want. I'm just trying to give myself some more breathing room on the road by eating as little as possible.

I think What I'm going for is this. What's the least diverse group of food I could eat on a day to day basis and have it still be a healthy diet? I need a protein, good carbs, vitamins, and some fats obviously. I'm just no dietician, and I'm trying to be the ultimate cheapo.

14. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

I actually prefer the fresco chicken soft tacos at taco bell, 99 cents a piece and you may need two but they are actually moderately healthy when it comes to fast food.

As for the original question since you don't have a way to cook at all I'd say Tuna, Peanut Butter, Whole Wheat bread should probably become your new best friends. Milk will be decent as just filler and I agree with what someone said earlier that a tub of whey in this case wouldn't be a bad investment, although personally I'd go with something like Dymatize's Gourmet blend that includes Casein and a couple grams of fat because it will digest slower and keep you full longer, mix with milk for added appetite suppression and calories.

Its hard without being able to cook or store foods so non-perishables are important. Canned fruits/veggies, tuna/canned salmon, bread, peanut butter, cereal and some 72% dark chocolate would be good. Nuts would also be good to munch on to try to keep you full throughout the day, almonds are ideal.

If you can make it through a day with 3 meals and a snack you could do something like

Breakfast
    Bowl of high fiber, high protein cereal + Milk

Lunch
    Peanut Butter Sandwich

Snack
    Handful of Almonds

Dinner
    Tuna, Canned Veggies, some chocolate for a treat

Nothing super expensive and still pretty healthy. Will you gain mass on it? no. could it be better? ya but you are doing the admirable thing of trying to save money for the time being while providing for your family. :bigthumb:

15. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Protein:
    - whey
    - canned tuna
    - canned chicken
    - special K protein plus cereal
    - if there's a Trader Joe's near you, they have $2.49 bags of flax/soy tortilla chips that are delicious and have like 8g protein per serving. Maybe get some hot sauce for your chicken and scoop it up with the chips.

Fats:
    - almonds (look for sales though as they can be expensive sometimes)
    - peanut butter (this is cheap, easy, and delicious)
    - avocados (cheap if on sale)
    - cheap olive oil to add to random stuff

Carbs:
    - whole grain bread
    - whole grain crackers
    - precooked rice (if you really don't mind eating it cold like you said)
    - cereal

One of the most filling and cost effective meals you could probably have would be one or two peanut butter sandwiches with a scoop of whey. Plenty of cals, fats, carbs, and protein. Take 5min to make, requires no microwave or fridge, and if you shop for sale items could be done cheaply.

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Cottage cheese is pretty cheap and high-protein. You can make it sweet by adding splenda/berries/fruit, or savory by adding soy sauce, walnuts, salsa, that sort of thing.

I second getting some whey. A protein shake and a PB sandwich would be a pretty good meal in your situation.

17. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

I read the first line without looking at the user and thought "wow this sounds just like VM"

sup nig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.