So let me get this straight...Surround Sound

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VoOdOoVyPeR, Apr 2, 2005.

1. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

My friend claims that surround sound speakers to to be set up in the following manner:

-...._....-
    >...o...<

pretend that was all even, the first 3 lines are hte front, left and right speakers. and the "<>" are hte back speakers in the direction the arrow is pointing. the "o" is the chair. <-------NOTE: this is what my friend claims is right. now i look in my home theater system manual and it ses its like that, except the back speakers are a lot more behind you, rather than like almost to the side of you, and angled in your direction but not fully.

now thats question one, which is right.

question 2 however is, my new setup will consist of a chair and a couch up against a wall, opposite the tv. where do i put the back speakers?? heres another quality diagram:

|=``````
    |{
    |{
    |_______

the "=" is the couch, the "```" is the wall to the left and the "__" is hte wall to the right and the "|" is the wall behind the furniture. imagine theres a tv with hte 3 front speakers directly opposite the furniture set up. now what i was thinknig for hte back speakers, was getting to stands that raise up atleast like 6-12 inches from the top of the couch, as far back as i can put them (like lined up to the back of the couch/chair) and have one on the right side of the couch, and one on the left side of the chair.

is that a good setup or can i do better?

thanks

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

You sit so the center channel is pointing directly at you straight ahead, the left and right channel to should be angled slightly to project the sound to ur left and right ears, the rear speakers should be a little bit behind you. speakers should be about ear level.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  3. 04

04 Guest

4. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

oh ok, thanks

5. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Depends on the speakers but what 04 posted is pretty much about right. If he has bipole/dipole rears (which I hope he does if it's for HT) he should put them directly to the sides.