so let me get this straight.. heavier with less reps = more muscle?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by gourmizz, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gourmizz

gourmizz New Member

talking about arms here. :dunno: kinda confused and getting a lot of mixed opinions.

2. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

tax the muscle = more muscle

3. SteveO

SteveO Guest

because it is mixed, hit them from every angle, different reps, different weights

4. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

arms should be trained wisely, elbow joints and tendons are always sore and injured in these areas. Arms get hit more then once a week as well, your training them when your pressing or pulling also. I train my arms with moderate weight and lots of squeezing. Mind/muscle connection is much more important with arms

5. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Yeah after heavy ass benching for a few weeks my elbows were absolutely killing me on arm day so I had to lighten everything up a bit.

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I still haven't really figured out what my arms respond to. At the rate I'm going, I'm gonna end up being 230 with 15 inch arms

7. gourmizz

gourmizz New Member

i never feel sore after i work my arms and i do high reps with low weight

i curl 10 pound 75 times every night, with no break.

seems to be working, in a month i've seen much improvement.

i dont belong to a gym and school's out so i havent really been doing ANYTHING other than my arms.

:dunno: kinda pissed, im probably gonna join club fit really soon, and when i do i'll experiment with heavier weights, cause of right now all i have is 10 pound dumbells so i do what i can with them :hs:

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Sort of. Really heavy weights will have the highest rate of protein degradation but little time under tension, so the total protein degraded will remain low. In contrast, light weights will allow you a long time under tension but a slow rate of protein degradation, so the total amount of protein degraded will still be low. Therefore, you basically want something in the middle.

9. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Protein degradation is the bottom line when determining what will stimulate the most growth?

10. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

11. toconnx

toconnx New Member

It's pretty unique person by person, muscle by muscle. A lot of my muscles seem to grow best with somewhat higher reps, around 10-15 (chest, arms, traps, shoulders - even higher with calves and abs). But at the same time, a lot of muscles in my back, and my quads and hamstrings take best to lower reps. :dunno:

12. toconnx

toconnx New Member

.. .. as in pyramid scheme? :hsugh:

13. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

i haven't tried this workout idea yet.....but im going to this fall....right now im working on getting cut and then ill start to build.

anyway....it has come to my attention that 90% of athletes at my college do a 12 week total workout cycle that consists of 3 groups of 4 weeks workouts. first they start with a weight that they fail around 18ish reps 3 sets. the second 4 weeks they increase the weight so they fail at about 12 to 14 reps. then the 3rd 4 week section they increase weight to failure at about 7or 8 reps. then they repeat the 12 week program over again a notch up on the weights. you are supposed to do the exact same workouts the whole time....trying to make sure you have 3 exorcises per muscle group.

i hear alot of athletes use this method of weight training. if thats true it must be good cuz most athletes are pretty fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.