GUN So, I've just decided that I'm going to to focus on firearms/tool marks...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CString, Jan 13, 2006.

1. CString

CString New Member

...when I'm done w/school. Apparently there's a shortage of ballistics experts in labs all over the country. What would be better than being at work and getting to use a lot of firearms all day? Beats the hell out of analyzing DNA all day. I'm trying to work with the forensic science prof. to get some sort of firearms/tool marks class started too. :coold:

2. DCM

DCM New Member

that would be an awesome career field.

3. CString

CString New Member

:werd: the only problem is that there isn't a Firearms/Tool Marks concentration at school so i'll have to do a lot of cross-training when i'm done since i'm a Bio concentration now. that's why I'm tryin to get a class started. we're just tryin to figure out what the course would actually consist of since they're probably not gonna let us bring/fire weapons anywhere on campus.

4. mrbill

mrbill New Member

just nitpicking here but, comparing tool marks and fired bullets is technically not ballistics. firearms examination is the comparing of fired bullets, matching shell casings and fired bullets to specific guns...etc. ballistics is the study of the behavior of bullets in flight.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

im going to work for the box of truth guy

6. mrbill

mrbill New Member

:rofl:

7. CString

CString New Member

Firearms/Tool Marks is the same area because a firearm is considered a tool. Ballistics falls underneath this umbrella. In most labs there is not a person that analyzes cases/bullets and a separate person that analyzes ballistics issues.