COMIC so i've been working on 3 different comics

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Zero, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

for like forfuckingever and we're still plodding along on issue 1 of the first series. the artwork is pretty sweet and it keeps getting better. the concept sketches that my artist did really got me excited and the creative juices going and next thing i knew i had outlines for 3 different books. i showed them to her and she got excited and start sketching characters for the other two books... now i'm finding i'm having to push her to keep her going on the getting the first fucking issue finished and i'm wondering...

how many of you are collaborating with an artist or writer?

have any of you had issues with keeping your partner motivated?

i'm still trying to get her permission to post samples and shit. she's being a little wierd about copyright shit. but since it IS her artwork i feel obligated to respect that.

2. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

Unfortunately, I've never done this type of thing, but I've heard of other people running into this problem. Does she have another full time job, and this is more of a side job? She sounds like a creative person, but that can be hard to rein in when you have to make a comic every month.

Did you also make an agreement with her about ownership/copyright and all that good stuff?

3. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

yeah we wrote out an agreement about the ownership/copyright to the works. publication of any sort requires us to be in complete agreement. meaning she can't throw up a website in a year with all of the shit on it without my consent or posting anything anywhere online without the other's consent, neither of us can profit from it individually, etc.

we weren't trying for a monthly thing, more of a limited series of each. 4 issues and then going on to the next one. we'd ideally set out to get the first 3 issues of each done and then slowly working on the last 3 as we argue about what medium to publish each in. she wants to do one that's exclusively a webcomic, i want to do one that's limited to 100 copies of each book and then a GN limited to like 20 or 50. just for those who supported us in this. the last one is sort of still up in the air. it's got a feel to it that could possibly work as an on-going series, but who knows, that's a lot of writing. and yes, we both have day jobs.

4. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Hmm... Perhaps because you've got her excited about the three issues to start with? :mamoru:
    If you keep yourself focused on one single issue, then she might get the hint and start working on it as well. But if you get side-tracked then so will she, i.e start working on something else. Keep working on that issue, re-fine it or something. But make sure you both agree to have something done before you start another thing.

If not, minuswell never finish anything.

5. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

tru dat. tru dat. i just find it difficult to focus everything into one project at a time. my brain bounces around so much i have to keep working on different things or i get bored and stop.

6. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Got the same problem, to be honest. Until recently never finished anything i started. Hell, i can't even finish a fucking game that takes 2/3 hours or even watch a movie on my comptuer without switching off to something else 10 minutes in.

This may not help you, but i find it really mind-refreshing to go into the toilet and read a little bit and then go back to what i was doing. I have no idea what the fuck it's about, but a friend recommended it and been working ever since. Probably one of 'em it's-just-in-your-head thingies (forgot the word, begins with p i think :o).

7. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

i've been using the toilet as a block breaker for years. i do my best thinking in there. whenever i'm stuck on where to take something next i take a notepad a pen and go try to take a shit. works every fucking time. scary.

8. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

but really this is a question of keeping her motivated. i like the idea of getting one finished first, but a lot of it has to do with me bouncing around and her having issues following that sort of lead. i don't know why she is though... i hand her pages of one story and she draws it. i hand her pages from another story and she should just FILE it and get to it later. fuck i think i just answered it myself. have her file the other stories in a 'DO NOT OPEN UNTIL NEXT ISSUE' folder. either that or i could just file them away myself and not show them to her until she's done with what we're currently working on. hmm.