So Ive been wondeirng this all day.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zmiller91, Feb 15, 2008.

1. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

Im looking to get an S4, and when I get it I will make it a stage 2+. Ive been reasearching it and alot of people say that it walks away from the E46 M3, but others say that its the other way around. So, I was wondering if in a race would the M3 win or the S4?

2. BavarianMotorWe

BavarianMotorWe New Member

I would also like to know Im looking at them too. I've read alot and most say S4 over the M3. In theory Im leaning toward that too. Anyone have actual experience with this?

ot here but what color do you have your eye on?

3. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

imola yellow. what about you?

4. BavarianMotorWe

Either that or brilliant black. I saw this beautiful S4 on vwvortex and if I find one in black worth buying its coming home with me.

5. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

[​IMG]

that one? its absolutely outstanding. i cant wait to get one, although i have to sell my car and put in more hours at my job. it will all be worth it when i have the biggest sleeper car tho.

6. BavarianMotorWe

Exactly the one. They are beautiful cars thats for damn sure. Inside more then outside IMO. That one will turn heads though.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The maintenance costs for an S4 can put a child through private school.

8. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I have driven S4s and have a E46 M3. I much perfer the M3 and don't care how fast you can make a S4.

BMW needs to take that motor put it into a light car, that would make it perfect:bowdown:

9. BavarianMotorWe

Some of us like cars. Some of us also like working on them. I don't know about you but when a car fights me I beat its ass with a breaker bar. Im not worried about maintenance, I enjoy it. If your talking about price of parts, im with the TS. Im going for stage 2+ myself. My wallets not going to be happy but my driveway will. In life, Isn't that all that matters :wiggle:

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I like cars too. I've been under mine more times than I feel like counting. I've chipped it, I've improved the engine's breathing, I've installed aftermarket gauges and a cooldown timer, I've replaced and upgraded the suspension and the wheels and the brakes, and I've been meticulous about getting unsexy repairs taken care of before they have a chance to cause problems. I'm not talking about shit that breaks on accident, I'm talking about scheduled maintenance -- stuff that VW knows is going to break. If you want a car that needs lots of love, an S4 is a great choice, because VW knows only an enthusiast would buy an S4, so they designed the car to push all of its parts to the breaking point -- which they will do on a regular basis. All part of sustaining a viable service economy, right?

At least do yourself a favor and don't get one with a sunroof. They leak like sieves and destroy the wiring harnesses.

11. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

Just because your passat is a piece of shit doesn't mean every VW product is.
    :gtfo:

12. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

Stock for stock the M3 is faster. A turbo S4 is easier to get bigger gains out of and can certainly be made faster. That being said, I liked my S4, but I loved my M3. The Audi just doesn't have the driving feel of the BMW.

13. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

what about off the line? does the M3 stand a chance?

14. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

15. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

When my S4 was 2+ it pulled away from M3s. I wouldn't say it walked away, but it was definitely faster.

16. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

allright, since you had that car i might as well ask a few questions. did you have the b5? if so, when at stage 2+ did you have many problems? also, did you have a front mount? and, do front mounts fit with stock bumpers?

17. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Its a B5. The only problem I had was a throttlebody went bad and had to be replaced. I did not have a front mount, I put one on later, and it fit with the RS4 bumper I had, but the bumper had to be modified. It was a lot of work for not much of an advantage. Especially with the newer/larger SMICs, I would suggest just upgrading to those as opposed to the FMIC

18. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

allright, thanks man!

was it a fast ride?

19. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

mine's been alright, my dad's 06 is acting up, but warrantee FTW

20. BavarianMotorWe

Would FMIC be any more efficient in terms of power gains then larger SMIC? I mean, is there really a noticable difference between the two. I would think the larger surface area on FMIC would drasticly help performance over larger SMIC. If theres not much difference then im looking into saving time with larger SMICs.

21. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

FMICs only offer a better way to cool your engine...i think.

22. Virality

Virality New Member

He have the VR6? or the 2.0T?

23. BavarianMotorWe

Thus helping performance of the engine. Im assuming the larger surface area of FMICs cool better. Is it a noticable difference, though?

24. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Yeah it was pretty quick. It got larger turbos and some other work not too long after and its been that way since.

They might have a little more surface area, but you also end up changing the way the air hits the radiator, and its a headache to get it to fit properly. The upgraded SMICs offered by a few companies work just as well, and are much easier to install.

25. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

Don't recall ever going head to head with one against the other. My B6 S4 felt slower than my E36 M3, though it was probably just a little bit faster.