So I've been told a wireless network on USB is worthless...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Khlav Kalash, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Khlav Kalash

Khlav Kalash RIP JMJ

And that I should get the wireless PCI card... any truth to this? I currently have my PS2/Xbox hardwired into my wireless router, which is wired to my modem in my bedroom, and my computer is wireless via USB Network Adapter about 100 feet away. It's only like $60 for the PCI card... should I do that? ANY help is great.
    -Nick

2. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

usb is limited in speed, but then so is your wireless lan. I have a USB Wireless NIC on one of my computers, and have no problems, i think if anything you'll see a difference if you are filesharing locally rather than playing network games online

3. GoldRanger

GoldRanger New Member

no noticeable difference, and ive used them both :)

Only questionable differences is signal strength, d/l speed, and versability.

USB > PCI imo

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

USB has higher CPU usage than PCI but you can move it around to get better reception. USB1.1 cannot keep up with 802.11a or 802.11g speeds and is about even with 802.11b. USB2.0 solves that though.

5. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

Also worth noting that USB 1.1 allows for 11Mbps theoretical bandwidth across the entire bus. Basically, your 802.11b can saturate the bus and if you do anything else at all, Zip drive etc it will eat into your 802.11b speed.