so i've been going to the gym almost 2 months now.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Spike2k, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

and i haven't lost my fucking gut yet, and i've actually GAINED weight.

now my diet sucks, i'll admit that. But it is better than it was before i started going to the gym. I go to the gym on my lunch break at work (we have one here at the office) and i eat on my breaks. So instead of getting mcdonalds every day at lunch, i'm working out. But there is NO change.

I would really like some ideas of what i should be eating on my breaks, instead of the usual wings or sloppy joes :o

2. Sgt. Dignam

Sgt. Dignam Guest

thats your problem, and step one is knowing that it is your problem. Well done.

Step two is correcting the issue by identifying what exactly in your diet needs to go, and replace it with somethin that is going to help with your overall goal/objective.

3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

Yeah, it's diet AND exercise, not one or the other.

There are plenty of ways to tweak your current diet to work without going all plain yogurt and sprouts. Skip mayo and cheese on your burgers, don't drink soda, get your boneless hot wings grilled instead of fried. You'll be amazed at how many calories and how many grams of fat you'll drop off of your diet right there.

Two months isn't a lot of time unless you're doing real-deal cardio 5 days a week. What is your weight now and what is your goal? I dropped from ~200 to ~160 in 3-4 months by removing almost all bad food from my diet and doing 30 minutes of hard cycling 5 days a week followed by weight training, just for reference.

4. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

i'm 5'8, ~175, trying to get down to ~155, i think about 20 lbs would help a lot, i've got a not so nice gut on me and my face is starting to look chubby, which i absolutely hate because when i was a few years younger i was cut (skinny, but looked cut)

5. FrankieSixxxgun

Hit the cardio hard and cut back on the crap intake. You'll see results, but not overnight.

6. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

what does your diet look like?

7. revert

revert *insert witty comment here*

calories in < calories out
    watch what you eat, lift hard, HIIT/cardio...
    you should start seeing some changes after that

8. Titus

Titus New Member

you should just stop eating all together for the best results.

9. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i'm your height and weight... no gut... keep going to the gym and stop looking at the scale

10. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

it's so random that it's hard to say what my diet looks like. If i want something, I eat it. today for lunch I had 2 manwich sloppy joes and light chocolate pudding, with a bottle of water. In 2 hours I will be working out, and won't be eating until tonight after work (10pm)

11. FrankieSixxxgun

Well, try making the manwich out of ground turkey or chicken next time, that'll cut a huge amount of fat out. Eating at 10pm is bad, unless you stay up real late. Food ingested before sleeping just gets stored. You don't eat or supplement right after working out?

12. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

:eek3: i'm totally down for having no energy while lifting :bigthumb: :o

13. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

no i don't eat after working out and as for eating at 10pm, i stay up until 3am every night due to my awkward work schedule... i've been thinking about drinking a protein shake or something after i work out though, would that benefit, or add extra weight

14. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

your body needs nutrients after a workout... give 'em to it

15. FrankieSixxxgun

The most important time to intake something is right after your workout. Your body has just been beaten and needs nutrients to recover. I always drink a shake immediately after my workout and that'll usually hold me over until I make/buy dinner.

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

proper nutrition + workout

eating like shit and not providing proper nutrients at key times will sabotage workouts.

simple to say, hard to do lol man i crave a pizza

all meals are important, pre and post workout nutrition is especially important, if you choose to ignore it fine, just don't be shocked that you aren't progressing as well as you'd like

17. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

give it time, 2 months isnt enough just keep at it.

18. FrankieSixxxgun

I know it's almost contradictory, but my, "Health and Fitness," instructor in college (necessary credits) actually praised pizza. She said for all of the quick to eat crap out there, cheese pizza is actually not so bad. It's just cheese, tomato sauce, and bread, so it's way healthier than eating a fast food burger or taco bell. Figure, as long as it's not fast food chain pizza, that's real cheese. Sure, it might be fatty, but it's also got a good amount of cassien(sp?) protein in it.

I try so hard to eat decent, but I tell you, a good New York pie is a vice of mine. I figure if pizza is the worst I eat, I'm ahead of the game. Plus, if I eat it after working out, does that white flour count for the simple carbs my body needs?

19. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

i love chipotle... i eat there like 3 times a week. and it is so god awful for you. i haven't gone in a week as i'm tryin to cut back, but i miss it :wtc:

20. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

21. Titus

Titus New Member

look into DNP for best results

22. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Wow, you're an idiot. The body does the bulk of it's muscle building while you're asleep. Also, you can fuck over your metabolism by not eating before going to bed. Think about it. If you sleep for 8 hours, and make it a habit to not eat before going to bed, you could be looking at close to 12 hours without food. Half the day. Eating before bed is a good thing, just make the right choices. Slow digesting foods are best, especially slow digesting proteins like casein. They provide a steady stream of nutrients to the body throughout a good portion of the time you're asleep. This gives the body what it needs to build muscle while you're asleep as well as keeping your metabolism more elevated than it would be if you let your body enter a starvation state, like you're suggesting dieters do everynight.

23. FrankieSixxxgun

Cause the guy snacking down on Manwich is gonna go out and get him a nice casein suppliment, right? What's better, Manwich or nothing before bed? Get out of the body builder mentality, because that's obviously where you're stuck. Not everybody is bulking, asshole, so muscle catabolism isn't really an issue.

24. Drewski

Drewski New Member

get a fitday account and start tracking your diet.

then you can see where/when you're getting too many calories and make changes.

25. Drewski

Drewski New Member

you don't need some kind of special protein before bed, but definitely some kind of protein, ie. chicken, tuna, cottage cheese; before bed is very good, especially on a cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.