So I've been buffing boats now

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TriangleMan, Dec 29, 2009.

1. TriangleMan

TriangleMan What doesn't kill you is going to die

I'm playing the part of a mexican day laborer now and I've been working with my brother the last couple weeks

Basically they get these big ass yachts out of the water and need them detailed. I bet it would make any respectable detailer cringe what we do with these boats.

This is essentially how I've been shown to do this

1. Take rotary buffer with a big wool pad, apply polishing compound for taking out 1200 grit and finer scratches, buff the shit out of the boat until the compound is gone on like 2000 rpm.

2. Take teflon wax, apply to boat, buff the shit out of it until all the wax is gone.

3. Use rag to wipe off any residue, although very little is usually left.

For bad areas, we do have some rougher stuff we'll use first. In fact, I succeeded in removing 90% of orange peel on an area, going by touch. The peel was still visible but smooth, as opposed to how it was before where it was quite bumpy. I was at it for close to an hour just buffing the shit out of this orange peel with some 1000 grit compound but I couldn't remove it entirely. I did my best with what I have and like I said, I got it mostly smooth, a marked improvement.

Mainly the purpose is for us to get rid of all the chalkyness on the boat and get a nice coat of wax on there. I think the boss is a little psycho about getting rid of "haze" as he calls it. There are areas that look hazy but it is smooth to the touch. I'm either thinking it's the paint (lots of repairs on these boats and they rarely match colors) or simply water vapor. Like I said, it's smooth to the touch. What is this "haze"?

Today he wanted me to remove swirls, something I don't think I'm equipped to do. I gave it a shot with the buffer and the 1200 grit compound but I had no luck. I'd like to be able to do this though, which leads me to my thoughts...

My thoughts:

Something tells me that these rotary buffers are doing more harm than good.

Something tells me that our methods are borderline disastrous as far as using this polishing compound.

Something makes me want to do a good job at this, possibly go at the detailing biz myself. Not boats necessarily, I'd much rather do cars/trucks, they seem more manageable. What, um, qualifications do I really need? Mostly references and word of mouth would get me jobs I assume. Is there a good guide or writeup as far as "Is mobile detailing for you?" I don't have much experience with paint repair but I am sure I could be one of those crappy mobile detailers right now. What would I need to make me a good mobile detailer? What kind of costs for equipment are there to start? I'm sure technology like that device the reads the thickness of the clear coat would have to come later. Also what do you do about location? Have an indoor garage of some sort? I'm sure you also do work outside a lot too. Keep in mind I'm in Florida and it rains 300 days a year. Would it be smart to have somewhere indoors to take the car?

There's lots of those mobile detailing services around, usually a dude with a compact pickup with a power washer in the back, those are popular around here. I'm not sure if they do actual good detailing work such as paint repair though. There's no shortage of rich folks either, I feel like there could be a good demand for a good quality detailer.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

gel-coat is muuuch harder than automotive paint. you aren't doing as much damage as you think b/c gel-coat isn't really like auto paint. it's a different process than spraying base/clear over metal.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rotary polishing is necessary to remove oxidized gel coat but if you are leaving swirls, it is either technique or not following up the compound with a swirl remover before waxing.

The fact that your boss is using a 'Teflon' based wax which is complete bullshit marketing hype suggests to me he isn't using the best products available.

4. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

Being in Florida your market might be overcrowded depending where you are and the economy sucking it might be hard to start up a company. What products are you using?

Try finding local fishing forums pass your card out at bait stores boat ramps etc.. Word of mouth goes along way . You can make alot of money doing boats ..

Just to walk in a Marina they will want to see proof of insurance business paperwork etc.

5. TriangleMan

We're using this exact polish
    [​IMG]
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...-E881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

6. TriangleMan

Oh I don't want to detail boats, I'd rather do cars :o

7. TriangleMan

That's good to know :o

8. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

OMFG

You can buy that crap at walmarts boat section. :eek4:

9. WickedLou9

WickedLou9 Deep cover terrorist gerbil

10. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

2nd Lou's Collinite recommendation. Much better products.

11. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

:werd:

Gel coat is also significantly thicker.

12. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

It's white (can't see swirls). It's gel coat. It sits in the water.

Don't be so detailed about it. Just thrash and crab the cash.

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:hsugh: