GUN So it seems alot of people are sipping the xs big dot koolaid what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Feb 13, 2008.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

What do you guys think? Shay i'm looking for some input from you guys. I know you and yeager like them. I currently run tru glo tfo's on my glock 30 for carry. I however do like the heine straight 8s on my 1911.

Is it worth my investment to switch?

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

IMO unless you feel your current sights are lacking, then I'd spend the money elsewhere on more ammo and training. For me I love them for my nightstand gun. I can focus on the front sight without my glasses or contacts. I am going try them on my new G19 soon.

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

They won't fix problems with your marksmanship. They will help you focus on the front sight under stress.

Getting some sort of referential information from your front sight is critical to getting quality hits. Even if the pistol is only in your cone of vision and not fully in your eye-target line you will still be able to establish muzzle orientation.

I was never a full believer in XS Big Dots until I used them and saw several hundred of my students use them under stress in Force on Force. Finer sights may work great on the range but under stress you need something more visible.

As far as not being able to hit with them at distance, we've proven that to be bullshit time and time again. In Vegas this last weekend I hit first try on a target out to 150 yards.

4. minus

Sounds like I should do more practice with the current sites I have rather than worrying about switching. I need to find a reliable load for my glock my 1911 eats the 200 gr flat points no problem. The glock stovepipes almost every shot leading me to think that the loads are underpowered.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

When tayloring a load, you've also got to take into consideration the recoil spring as well. You could either taylor your loads to match your gun, or taylor your gun to match your loads.

What I do is to taylor both my loads and my gun to meet a specific ballistic performance and powerfactor I am hoping to achieve.

I don't believe your stove piping has anything to do with an underpower load, I have loaded powder puff loads in my Glock .40 and 9, that have rolled out of the ejector of my glock without any FTE's.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I love them, but my wife hates them. I still have Mepros on my G19, while she has Big Dots on her 26. She would rather have my Mepros, but I will not switch. With her being the more inexperienced shooter and fighter, I would rather she have everything she can working in her favor, even if she doesn't THINK it's working in her favor. I know that if she ever DID need to use her gun, she would appreciate having those sights. I need to put some on my pistol as well, but I'm lazy and cheap.

Shay is right, while they are still accurate sights, they are not marksmanship aid. They are an augmentation to a fighting pistol. They shine under pressure. While they can be used to make long range shots on small targets, that is not their intended purpose.

I don't really like the way Big Dots are oriented for target shooting. In fact, I hate it. Which is why my wife probably hates them. Being a less experienced shooter, and having never really fired her pistol under stress, she does not appreciate what a giant front dot really does. For target shooting, simple leaf-type sights would work better. But under stress, that front dot on a Big Dot is like a homing beacon. It allows you to put the muzzle on target so much faster, it's not even funny.

7. minus

I'm loading 5.4 grains of w231 under a 200 fp. Do you suggest changing the springs for range trips?

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

I too value a sight aid that allows you to zero in on the front sight, and I'm always open to new innovative designs, and haven't tried the XS sights yet. But do plan to.

I have become very oriented with the Dawson Front fiber sight, in front of a Heinie Race cut rears.

Anyone that's tried both my set up and the XS would like to comment?

[​IMG]

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Is this in regards to your glock or 1911?

10. 2L Bunny

I'd be very carefully with that logic. Anything that could subconsciously make your wife think she won't shoot as well is going to slow her down. You have to be able to trust your equipment 100% when it's time to fight/survive.

11. minus

Glock I'm honestly suprised they don't function. The 1911 eats them right up. I am thinking about looking for 230's to load in the glock seeing as there are alot more loads for 230. Most likely easier than changing the spring.

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

You really only need to shoot them once to appreciate how much they ease quick front sight acquisition and how little they affect accuracy up close.

Farther out, I'm still working on my big dot sight picture. I've been getting better with practice, but I still throw at least 25% low past 10yrd.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

I personally like the 230's better because they shoot softer and require less powder, and in .45 the RN will always feed the most reliable. I don't really care for FP's, they are easier to load in my Dillon, but they do have a tendacy for feeding issues, but it shouldn't affect extraction at all.

Your load is more than sufficient to cycle the Glock properly. How far is your brass being ejected and at what pattern?

14. minus

I didnt shoot it last time a friend did. There was actually a stoppage. I'd say every 4th shot.

15. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I'm very tempted to pick a set of these up for my P99... it's my self defense gun at the moment... I have a buck mark for more precision related things. I need to at the very least get some night sights, as the gun resides by my bed, and at night, the stock sights obviously do nothing. Seems logical to upgrade to the XS sights.

Are these sights often used with the ISPDA(or whatever the exact acronym is)?

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

No, not at all. IDPA and USPSA I'd say 7/10 competitors run this combo, or some variation of with adjustable bomar style rears...

[​IMG]

17. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I'm considering it for my M&P 9c.

18. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

:rofl: you mean tailor?

19. minus

He meant well :o.

20. el capitan

el capitan New Member

you have a side profile pic? i like the sight picture.....not sure if its the red or what. i tend to have a problem with my front sight "blending" in with my targets at the range.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here you go... my Glock 35 .40

[​IMG]

Spellcheck nazi's, lol, dime a dozen. :mamoru: It's all good.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  22. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I swapped my 3-dot sights for a set of XS Big Dots for a steel match on my fullsize 9mm M&P, I was picking up the sight very fast but the steel was not clanking, Im not sure what the problem is but I went back to 3-dot sights the next week because the XS sights broke, and had the best match Ive ever had

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

These are the lower profile ones on my Limited Minor G17.

[​IMG]

24. 2L Bunny

They broke? how'd you manage that? Also contact Bo at XS for warranty, I bet he'll set you up.

25. AB13

AB13 New Member

Which steel match were you at?