So, is this laptop any good?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mzmtg, Jan 23, 2004.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I'm not familiar with eMachines. This is the new M6805
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069301995506&skuId=6249703&type=product

Display: 15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 x 800 max. resolution)

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64-bit 3000+ Mobile Processor 64-bit Architecture operates at 1.800 GHz System Bus uses HyperTransport™ Technology operating at 1600 MHz 1 MB L2 Cache

Memory: 512 MB DDR SODIMM (PC 2700)

Hard Drive: 60 GB HDD

Optical Drives: DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (24x24x24 CD-RW; 8x Max. DVD-ROM); Media Reader (Compact Flash, Micro Drive, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro)

Video: ATI® RADEON™ 9600 Discrete Graphics with built in 64MB Video RAM

Sound: PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio Built-in Stereo Speakers

Modem: 56K* ITU V.92 Fax/Modem

Network: Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN (up to 54Mbps); 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet

Pointing Device: Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone

Battery: 8-cell Lithium-ion (Li-ion)

Dimensions: 1.6"h x 14.0"w x 10.4"d

Weight: 7.5 lbs. (8.65 total travel weight)

Internet: AOL 3 month membership included

Ports/Other: 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 VGA External Connector, 1 S-Video Out, Microphone In, Headphone/Audio Out, 1 PCMCIA Slot (Card Bus type I or type II)

Pre-Installed Software: Microsoft Works 7.0, Microsoft Money 2004, Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, PowerDVD, Internet Explorer, Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator (DVD Edition), BigFix®, MSN®, CompuServe®, AOL 9.0 (with 3 months membership included**), Norton AntiVirus 2004 (90 day complimentary subscription)

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Nice specs, but I wouldn't really recommend an eMachine, they're not really a trusted brand. I'd go Dell, Toshiba, or IBM probably (unless you're open to getting a Mac - best laptops ever).

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I don't think eMachines are that bad. If you buy a $300 computer and expect the world its bad, but if you buy a $300 machine and expect a LOW end machine most people would be very satisfied. Its nothing to do with trusting the brand it just seems that everybody trusts the people buying a cavilier expecting a Porsche... I have seen a couple eMachine Laptops and they seem to be great quality.

I am not that much of an AMD fan but NONE of the "Trusted Brands" even sell AMD let alone the 64 bit chips... With them specs I do not think your going to find any others coming close for the money any time in the near future.

4. Penguin Man

HP/Compaq offers AMD laptops.

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Compaq and Trusted????

6. diranged

diranged New Member

I usually agree that eMachines is not a great brand to go for --- but if you pick up that laptop I suspect it will last you a long time. Mainly because the chipsets available for the AMD64 platform are all very strong and reliable, so you are not very likely to have driver problems.

7. Penguin Man

:slap: They're made by HP, one of the most reliable companies around.

8. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Oxymoron :o

9. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Actually most HP/Compaq laptops followed Compaq's platform. So they are still being made the same way Compaq made them before and reliable or trusted is not the first thing that comes to mind.

See http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2002/020507b.html for more info.

10. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

As for being a trusted brand, I havent been able to find a negative user review of any recent eMachines product online. And, as of the end of 2003, they are the #4 computer company in the US...