So is street racing starting to fade away?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mr3plus1, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Mr3plus1

Mr3plus1 Too many projects

I know street racing will always be around, but is it starting to get away from what it's become in the last 10 years? I see less and less of the ricer cars trying to take out another ricer car. The big meets are starting to dissapear. Less and less people are even interested in racing. I decided it wasnt something I wanted to be part of a while back, but I'm starting to wonder if a lot of other people are deciding the same thing.

2. Divided Sky

Divided Sky New Member

yeah, i think the peak was after the fast n the furious, then died down as it should have along with the street racers themselves

3. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

lmao..just the other day the cops busted 2 kids for racing at..get this... 70km/h. Would have been so bad but the one dude was in the oncoming lane... :slap:

4. Mr3plus1

Mr3plus1 Too many projects

I know the penilty for street racing has become so high that most people wont even risk getting caught. I'm hoping over time these penelties are enforced less harshly. It was all fine when it was underground and it was people who knew what they were doing and made sure to keep everything out of harms way. All it took was a bunch of teenagers in econobox's to fuck it all up.

5. TheDude

TheDude Active Member

so the retarded ricer generation is starting to grow up and realize how gay it really is

6. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

You know the "scene" has been so diluted when you have asshats going on internet message boards promoting their "Underground Street Racing" websites.

7. WhiskyDent

WhiskyDent Je l'ai fait tout pour le lols

The cool kids jsut stopped inviting you

8. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

Im sorry.. but when we went racing it was at 2 am in a industrial park.. not down a main drag... the f&f generation is to blame for all this

9. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

street racing here in the metro detroit area has calmed down some. If you are racing for big money and make a job out of it you can still do it. Those races happen during the week and have very few spectators. It's not umcommon to hear about a race for 10-12 grand.

10. akZer0

akZer0 Guest

I used to go to night meets and make bank in highschool (1997-99) Before the F & F hype. :o

I swear, after that movie came, there were far more ricers showing up and getting us exposed. :mad: Once my eclipes was impounded, I gave it up and decided to track and autox from there on.

11. FrigginAnT

FrigginAnT Humanity is like a train wreck....its fun to watch

this is the only post in this thread that is anywhere near correct

Street racing went to total shit about 3 years ago

before then, it was possible to race from about 11pm until 6am without a cop even coming by.

now since F&F , all the fucking kids know about it ...whioch means they all think they are Paul Walker, taking out mommy's accord, and thinking they know wtf they are doing ...

i havent been to a street race in over a year...last one i went to was something set up, total of 12 people there...for cash..

i refuse to go down into philly to the usual race spots anymore..too much of a risk from cops...and the idiot kids who dont know how to do it as safe as possible

12. FrigginAnT

FrigginAnT Humanity is like a train wreck....its fun to watch

and as for the title of the thread...

Street racing the way it used to be, faded away years ago

13. indianghetto69er

indianghetto69er New Member

yea i still mod my car occiasionally but i haven't raced anybody in a looooong time

14. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

the street racers who were street racing before the movies came out are still there...

But they don't dick around and have a bunch of strippers lay on their cars and do all the 'street-racing culture' that the ricers do...

The real racers, you don't even know who they are, their cars look and sound stock, they race in industrial parks at 2 in the morning, there are only like 10 other people there, and the whole group isn't there for more than 3 minutes...

15. 93CivicEX

93CivicEX Charming, Dashing, Rental car bashing

I have a newspaper clipping from 1958 about my dad's uncle making the transition from street racing to professional drag racing from the Reading Times...

street racing has ALWAYS been around and has had its heyday, its lulls, and a rebirth in the late 90's/early 2000's... its on the way down again, but will one day come back...

FATF was a big part of it taking its latest downhill turn though... it became too mainstream and too many people who didnt 'get it' or didnt understand that you dont get to know the details about someone else's car before you race em, and that you are supposed to be discreet, not obnoxious while street racing, etc etc etc...

16. poopies4u

poopies4u Active Member

they probably realized how stupid it is and how stupid their cars looked

17. CRaiNK

CRaiNK ЧЕМПИОН

yea, i havnt been to any races since atleast 2 years.

18. 4pumpedCL

4pumpedCL honkey

Out here, street racing was at it's peak ab obout 6 years ago. I used to go to the illegals at about 1 in the morning and meet up with a couple hundred other people. It was a fun experience, but the police eventually put a very abrupt end to it.

19. Mace Windu

Mace Windu OT's Resident Pile of Awesome

i used to street race with some of my buddies, but since the "youngens" got their cars. i can barley go down the street without some new driver thinking he is paul walker. i had a sunfire that i could manage in, and now i have a mustang. i really dont want kids in oldsmobiles thinking they can take me because they have a car. and i havent raced in a long time because of the n00bs with thier oldsmobiles, they bring cops.

20. 96

96 Merry Christmas :D

did you ever go to the races out in langley?

21. Antilles

Antilles New Member

i went to a car show (not to enter- just to look) and some kid comes up to me asking me to race :ugh:

he had an older automatic stock z28

i know the wrx isn't anything special- but i could have beaten him

i told him i don't streetrace :hsugh: (which isn't a lie)

22. hopeudiemahc

hopeudiemahc "stay true to yourself and follow your heart. Giv

who cares, no one was on this "street race" kick till those gay-ass movies i wont even bother to mention came out. if you think you got a bad ride go to the strip, and if you rock a honda DONT FUCKING BOTHER

23. krave

krave Active Member

I think the biggest i ever saw it in dallas was 1998-2000, but then again i stopped going completely in 2002

24. hopeudiemahc

hopeudiemahc "stay true to yourself and follow your heart. Giv

cmon man once and a while you gotta flaunt yo shit

25. jonik

jonik Active Member

Just got to dangerous. I used to be the one doing it for about 2k a race, then the cops really caught on to it, mostly because of the morons who hyped it up too much.