So is popping your collar "peacocking?"

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

This is a two part thread. The first part is answering the question in the title.

The second part is this:

Here's what I've noticed. In Europe and India, people pop their collars, and it's cool. In America, people who pop their collars seem like douchebags. Why? In India the cricket players do it to keep the sun off their backs (function). Some people copied the fashion and it looks cool. Whatever. :dunno:

So how come when people in America pop their collar, it gives off "I'm a huge douche bag" vibes, but in Europe and India, it doesn't? I cannot figure this out. They're doing the same exact thing but yet it's sending a different message. There has to be something I'm missing here. It's either something different that they're doing that I'm subconsciously picking up on, or it's something intangible that cannot be explained. Is there some difference in attitude or something? Help, please.

2. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

because in india and europe people were doing it for an actual reason, how many people do you know that play cricket

also there are far less douche bags in india and europe than there are in america

3. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

probably because the guys that pop their collar out there are dressed up in polos, khakis, and nice shoes. The guys that do it here are wearing big ass baggy jeans, a popped collar polo, earrings, and flashy necklaces...hence doucebags

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:werd:

If you have a reason to pop your collar that is fine...but when you are some frat guy wearing a pink polo with your collar popped you look retarded.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Ok good. So far it seems like everyone is agreeing with me.

But:

Even in the clubs in India they do it. They do it for style. It was just inspired by the cricket players.

I'm pretty sure the DBs here do it for style, too. What makes someone in America in khakis, nice shoes, and a polo shirt with a popped collar a DB when the same thing in India would not be a DB?

I does not gets it :mad:

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

probably because India doesn't have fraternity guys to ruin the image over there

7. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

short end of it is that it was "claimed" by douchebags.

you think popped collar you think fratboy douchebag. It has very little to do with the collar itself.

thats how fashion works a lot of the time. different fashions make different statements based on pop culture and society.

abercrombie, fubu, armani exchange... All these companies might make a few items that are genuinely nice, but thats completely overshadowed by the statement you make by being connected with the brand image. if you dont want to be a fratboy, a gangsta, or a labelwhore, you can't wear those brands conspicuously.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That might be it.

I neve want to pop my collar because I don't want people to automatically assume "frat boy douche bag try-hard" when they see me. Of course, those guys seem to get laid all the time, so maybe I should try it.

btw, frat boy douche bag is abbreviated as FBDB, for future reference. Coining terms on OT ftw :rofl:

9. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

I always assumed that a popped collar meant the guy was so far up his own ass he was a tard...even in the 80's. They've always been stupid looking in this country.

To me, movies did that for the image more than anything (alluded to previously by the person stating "pop culture").

10. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Only one who could get away with it was Elvis.

11. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

different cultures.

12. BradUF

BradUF Guest

13. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

this thread is perfectly explained now.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That dude on the left is wearing 3 polos :ugh:

15. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Because he is Extra cool!

16. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

It's not "peacocking," so much as "asshatting."

17. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

That's bs that it's inspired by the cricket players. We play a lot of cricket here in Australia and "popping" the collar is good for when you are out in the sun all day playing.

If you do it clubbing or elsewhere you are a douche. It's got nothing to do with copying the cricketers. They don't walk around like that when they aren't playing.

18. NCS

NCS Active Member

dude i live in europe and popping your collar is NOT the right look...

i can see how it is accepted in india because there's a reason. like in california almost everyone has sunglasses all the time, but if you're gonna walk around in sunglasses in grey+rainy london its a bit off... you look like you're trying too hard.

to answer your last question, "peacoking" will make you stand out from the crowd in an eccentric way. so popping your collar does NOT cut it. a few pieces of jewelry does NOT cut it. sure it may be good depending on who you are, but by textbook definition, peacocking is what has to make YOU the guy that stands out visually in a bar/club scene

19. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I wear, my sun glasses at night..

20. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

"Corey Hart! What on earth happened to you?"

"Oh... I wore my sunglasses at night and got into a really bad car accident. :("

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I think the cricket players were the first to do it.

Kind of like people wear baseball hats even when they're not playing baseball. Baseball players were the first to wear them back in the day, and other people copied the style.

22. low20

low20 Member

this thread is like full of assumptions and sterotypes...

making assumptions about people based upon dress is really stupid, and makin a thread about it so everyone can throw in their 2 cents about popped collars is even worse...who cares? really...u seriously care about something like this? if it bothers you that people pop their collar, and you think they are douche bags for it then fine, lol but i think u are a lttle too concerned about other people...worry about urself

and im sure hats were around much longer than baseball

23. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Action needs to be taken so that people no longer pop their collars, Good Sir...

24. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I have yet to meet one single person who popped their collar and didn't fit the stereotype of someone who do so such a thing

25. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Sure its sterotyping, but I don't like people who pop their collars. They are fully aware of what its meant to indicate, and choose to do it anyways, therefore they intend to send out that image of themselves.

Kinda like if someone acts like a thug, you can assume thats the image they wanna project.