So is my cutting attempt just beat by genetics?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PaddoK, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

I'm a natural mesomorph (the fat one that puts on muscle easy). I've always been skinnyfat or just plain fat. About two years ago I had lost enough of the fat that I was ready to do a bulk even though I wasn't remotely as lean as I wanted to be.

Fast forward a little while or so later and here I am trying to cut again. I'm 6'4" 230 lbs . 6 months ago I was 250 lbs, but got injured and had to lay off deads/squats till recently.

So now I'm trying to do a cut right instead of just eating "better" overall. It seems like all calorie calcs put me up in the 3500 range for just maintanance(sp?) calories. But for the last few weeks I've been putting on strength "cutting" at 2500. I've tried to drop it to 2000 recently, but I'm still making strength gains on shit like bench. The only thing that has stagnated is my overhead press which has sat at 135 for over a month.

Other than that I lift 3or4 times a week and have been cardioing (both HIIT and regular) on the off days. Plus my campus is pretty large and I probably get a good 40 minutes of brisk walking in everyday just around campus.

But this seems screwed up right? at 6'4" 230lbs, I shouldn't be making strength gains at 2k cals right?

My dad is overweight and my half-brother is skinny but not remotely cut. My girlfriend says that my muscles have been more defined, but the scale says I haven't lost any weight. I've been 230 for a while now.

Is this just my mesomorph genetics kicking in, or there something I'm missing?

What should I do? Keep dropping cals? 2k feels SO low.

2. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

well strength gains are largely neural, and also i'd say it's good that you're making strength gains. I'd worry a lot more about how you look/feel (take measurements i would say if you need to, scale isn't going to help if you're managing to put on muscle as well) and try to keep the calories in a spot where you're comfortable with your gains and appetite and shit.

3. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

i dont think you are a mesomorph.. i thought thats just the really naturally athletic people.. all the mesomorphs i know (myself included) arent really or have ever been fat... i know for a fact that even at 6'5 ~250 i had people telling me i needed to put on weight...

4. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

I was just shooting off the top of my head. I forget the correct one. I was fat as a kid but as soon as I got to control my own diet I lost the weight. I've always been athletic and loved sports, my parents just fed me like shit when I was a kid and I ate McD's 3x a week.

Maybe I was thinking endo or ecto? who cares semantics baby

5. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

No, your cutting atempts were beat by probably using a shitty routine and not having your calories/macros where they need to be.

I wish everyone in this forum would quit trying to blame genetics, or some other multitude of reasons and just realize that they're going to be responsible for their results the majority of the time.

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:werd:

Anyone remember the exact quote? Something to the effect that... 'its funny that the people accused of having the best genetics have also been the ones busting their ass for the longest.'

7. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i'm making strength gains on <1800 cals at 175, 5'8.5"

8. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

5'8 -174 :h5:

9. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

genetics disrespected my famiry

10. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

So wtf, you guys don't think genetics hinder and help certain people.

There are limits. You cannot attribute everything to the individuals routine, diet, habits, etc.

11. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Indeed, but what people around here get angry at is EVERYONE saying "Oh I can't do X Y Z because of my genetics," they use it as an excuse to slack rather than a reason to work that much harder.

12. Ricey McRicerton

Yeah, you really can. As a beginner, your genetics have dick to do with what kind of progress you see. I had lifted for 2 fucking years before I pulled my head out of my ass, started eating big, and started lifting big. I hadn't done shit for size and was one of those "boo hoo, i have a fast metabolism, genetics, blah blah blah, thousand excuses for why I'm a little bitch" guys. Anyone can be fairly lean. Anyone can put on size and strength barring some freak disease like lupus or some kind of weird health defect. If you want to do something about being fat, you can. If you want to do something about being a 130lb weaking, you can. It's going to take more than a few months, and it's not going to be fun, but if you want it, are willing to listen and learn, quit making excuses, and bust your ass, you can do it.

You might not ever end up an olympic level lifter, a guy who totals 2000+ at a PL meet, or a bodybuilder, but every single person in this forum can do something to better themselves and if they spent half as much time actually working as making excuses about why they can't, they'd be a lot better off.

13. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

How does Lupus affect getting big/strong? I'm curious.

14. Ricey McRicerton

:rofl: I don't know. I saw some lady on Maury with it yesterday and they said something about both of her hips having to be replaced and she looked like a 80 lb twig. :dunno: Im sure there are a lot of legitimate diseases that keep you out of the gym, but it was more the idea than the example I gave.

15. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Ha ha ha. OK, I have Lupus so I was like, shit maybe I should just quit ha ha, but that was probably just from her medication.

16. Ricey McRicerton

:rofl: I have no idea what lupus even does. I'm sure you'll be fine.

17. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

:rofl:

18. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

never said that... it just seems that most of the people using genetics as a crutch or excuse for the reason why they don't look/perform better aren't anywhere near the point that genetics would come into play

19. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

The harder I train, the healthier I eat, and the more I tan, the better my genetics seem to get!

20. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

genetics fucked me over.....

in the penis department :wtc:

21. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

do more cock pushups

22. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

if you workout your entire life will your kids get elite shawn rey genetics ?

23. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

My son will have anavar in his baby formula.

24. I Pwn Noobs

I Pwn Noobs Guest

some people are just different bro. I eat a lot of fast food all the time and I seem to lose weight:ugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.