so is intel releasing a 64 bit processor as well?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

I'd to know more about this processor and its release dates.

2. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

They have the Itanium, which is a 64 bit processor aimed at high-end server use. Its excessively expensive for home users, which AMD is targetting. I don't know if they have plans for a home-use competitor though.

3. MP

MP New Member

They have the itanium which is a higher end server type cpu. It pretty much failed in the market.

the p5 prescott isn't supposed to come out till around 2005. So I guess eventually intel will release one but not for a few more years. I think it's a good call. Let AMD do the work and get the ball rolling on 64 bit OS's and software, and making 64bit procs mainstream in the market. Then Intel will knock on the door and practically have to do nothing.

Intel is either really smart or really stupid. I'm going with really smart.

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

There are a lot of problems there, first it is not backwards compatible at all, it uses a totally new instruction set VLIW, and is highly dependent on compiler optimizations. So, what do you do when you get it, besides moan about having ot sell your kidney? You wonder when Windows will be available for it, becuase the 64-bit version that is available today is for x86 architecture. Then if you solve that, what the heck software are you gonna load on it? Most instructions are still 16-bit anyway...

5. accord 4 me

accord 4 me Goooooooooooooooogle

i hope youre speaking of the itanium and not the athlon64, because the athlon64 does 32bit natively

windows xp 64 should be out in early 2004, beta's for it are already out and benchs used on crappy drivers already show using the 64bit os and 32bit apps...the apps are faster, so even if there isn't programs written specifically for 64 bit..it doesn't really matter

there are however a lot of games coming to 64 bit...unreal tournament 2003 is already there

as for prescott, it isn't the pentium 5, p5 is tejas

as for intel using 64 bit, expect them to use amd's 64bit instructions, but dont expect them to admit it..microsoft has already said they'll only support one 64bit..and amd is it, so intel really has no choice...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11781

ONE OF THE the biggest stories out of the AMD launch comes not from AMD itself, but from Intel, or at least about Intel. Since we told you about Prescott being 64 bit last week (see here), the burning question in everyone's mind is what instruction set will they use? Would it be Itanic, AMD64, something new and different, or one changed just enough to be incompatible like SSE and 3DNow were.
    If you think Intel would eat its own shoes before it adopted AMD64, guess again, it will be compatible with AMD64. If you doubt this, think about one thing, why this is happening. It is not Intel's doing, not by a long shot. While it may use a different name, like the old x86-64, or even Extended x86, it will run all the software that AMD does. Mmmmm, shoes are tasty.

So, why is this again? Simple, MS. Microsoft will not support a different 64 bit platform, and frankly I don't blame it, it costs a lot of money to do that. MS gave Intel the choice, support AMD's instruction set, or do without Windows. MS won that battle pretty handily.

6. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

AFAIK Intel is using VLIW and AMD is sticking with x86 instructions. Itanium is rearchitected from scratch, justified by the huge leaps in technology that have been made in the last 20 years, but at the expense of backward compatibility.

Just because one proc is 64-bit does not mean it is anything like another 64-bit proc. G5, SPARC and Itanium are not the same, so why should AMD-Intel be the same? I don't believe that the Itanium Windows is even beta yet, but Itanium Linux is out there...

7. accord 4 me

accord 4 me Goooooooooooooooogle

theres no itanium windows beta because there will never be a itanium windows os

microsoft said one 64 bit os..and amd's architecture is the one

why are you even speaking of a server chip that will never be seen in a desktop anyways?