So, I'm your typical scrawny nerdy bastard, please help

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by zomgwtflol, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

Haha, thread title says it all. I really need to bulk up I haven't worked out in forever, if i run the distance of a football field I can't breath...:wtc:. Anyhow, I dont know shit about working out. I've just finished reading the "noob" guide.

Background on me:
    Male - 18yrs
    145lb
    approx. 5'11

If you need anything else let me know. I have no idea what I'm doing :hsd:

What equipment should I purchase for my home to use?
    (Assume budget is 1-2.5k)

Is giving 1hr/dy a good amount to dedicate to working out?

What supplements if any should I start taking, and what amounts?

My diet really consists of just burgers, pizza, fast food. Occasional steak etc. I do avoid soda, as well as chocolate. I drink pretty much 3-5 glasses of milk a day (im addicted :p)

I work on the internet FT and on my time, so Ive gotten real into going to bed at like 5am waking up at 3pm. Sitting on the computer all day, it isnt healthy. I'd rather be getting to bed around 3am, waking up around 12pm tops, then working out for an hour, and get started on my day to day work (job.)

Anyhow, some useless info I've given im sure, but hopefully enough useful info that you guys can help me out. Hopefully with OT and self motivation I can get started towards a healthier lifestyle.

Main goals - cardio, build some muscle so I don't look like a stick, eat a bit better

2. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

oh btw, i do have moderatley bad asthma so that is part of my breathing issue.

3. Evaka

Evaka New Member

How many calories do you eat a day?

4. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

Honostly I have no idea. Let me go calculate the avg of all the daily stuff in the kitchen I usually eat. :wiggle:

5. symptic

symptic I run companies

You could get by with 30-45min if you stick to your routine hard and don't slack off at all during your workout.

Right now, only buy whey protein shakes. It comes in large tubs; you'd betetr get to liking the taste, this will be a staple in your diet from now on.

Drop ALL the fast food. You want low fat/carb foods that are high in protein, calories, and fiber (when bulking-- which you'll be doing for a long while). Chicken breast, egg whites, cottage cheese, oatmeal, fish (tuna is cheap AND great for you), etc. Most of the hard work and heavy discipline will be in fueling your body properly, and constantly.

Go to bed no later than 1 and get a full 8 hours of sleep. The internet's not going anywhere; it's better to get on a healthy sleep schedule first, and THEN start working out. Your body's out of whack right now, so you need to stabilize your sleep patterns before you begin working out.

You'll be building muscle and doing cardio at the same time (cardio during 'off' days). Initially, you'll only need to bild your core muscles (and technically won't need to EVERY do focused workouts). It's important to remember most of the work is done n the kitchen.

Also, change your mindset. You want to work out to become healthier, not JUST to get some muscle. If that's what you wanted, join construction.

6. symptic

symptic I run companies

Look into Glyconutrients. They help lessen asthma, and can even get rid of it (among MANY other things).

7. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

Well..let's see. I usually wake up have a couple glasses of milk then dinner (since I wake up so late). So what would you say is your avg calories for dinner? Say steak and potatoes and/or a meal from burger king/wendys etc. (usually chicken fingers, large frys, or burgers). Then after that until I sleep I simply eat snacks. The snacks add up to about 1,000 calories.

I'm guessing like 2,000. Very rough estimate

8. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

get a gym membership, dont waist your money and limited living space one equipment

9. symptic

symptic I run companies

I'm guessing your guesses are wrong. :hsd:

10. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

Sorry this is not as convenient for me as it would be to purchase my own. I do not drive (long story), and the closest gym is about 20min away by car.

11. AMGpower

AMGpower OT Supporter

carpool. You won't get any good gains with a home gym. Those commercials aren't great and you will see the best results with free weights and not machines.

12. symptic

symptic I run companies

He is looking to buy free weights I believe. They're cheaper than a machine anyways (at least initially).

13. Evaka

Evaka New Member

If you really cannot get a membership and money is hard to come by. Look on craigslist for a bench and free weights to get started.

14. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

i said my budget was 1-2.5k, are you tellin me thats not enough? jees. well I mean money isnt really a problem if I have to spend more..but I thought 2,500$ would be more then enough for something decent.

15. symptic

symptic I run companies

You can buy a 45lb. bar and a 300lb. weight set for $300 or something. Dumbells are cheap too, until you get into 60lbs. and higher. And relatively speaking, they're STILL cheap.

16. Evaka

Evaka New Member

Oh, i never read that part. hehe

17. Evaka

Evaka New Member

18. symptic

symptic I run companies

19. Evaka

Evaka New Member

Yeah, the stuff is new too and hardly anyone bids on them. He has some "buy it nows" for $250 but I saw some people winning some for 60 bucks plus shipping because noone has heard of them. Lately, they are going for more though. :run:

20. symptic

symptic I run companies

Not bad. Shame I just bought my bench about a week ago. :hs:

21. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

More calories, more protein, strength training with full body exercises to build base strength.

Necessary equipment: squat rack, bench press, olympic barbell, olympic barbell plates, adjustable dumbells (standard plates) are very useful as well.

Most important thing for you to keep in mind is that FORM is your number one priority as a beginner. If you do things without correct form you will end up injured and only held back from your goals even longer. Research form, observe professional lifters (vids are easy to find on youtube and the like), get a full body mirror or video camera so you can watch yourself performing exercises and critique your own form, and have others check it as well.

Research the human body. What are the names of the major muscles? What are the major joints? What is mobility? What is stability?

Research the different exercises you will be doing. What muscles does the bench press work? What muscles do you use to push (extend limbs)? What muscles do you use to pull (flex or contract limbs)? What is an isolation exercise? What is a compound exercise? What are the benefits of each?

General knowledge will help keep you stay dedicated and more aware of your body and its improvement.

23. zomgwtflol

zomgwtflol New Member

24. Evaka

Evaka New Member

25. Evaka

Evaka New Member

Yeah, what skeletor said. Watch your form. It is much better to lift 20lbs correctly rather then 50lbs with the wrong form and screwing yourself over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.