so I'm trying to put together a system... what do you think?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by boostin-gp, Feb 9, 2004.

1. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

I'm going for sound quality more than anything. A guy a work with has a setup very similar to this in his GTS Celica, and it sounds absolutely amazing. He pops in Dave Matthews Band or something similar, and I'm just floored at how 'real' it sounds. I'd like the entire system to get really loud with NOT a whole lot of bass. It will be going in my Z34 Lumina which has a sealed trunk with no pass-through to the cabin. If you have any other recommendations or ideas, please post them. The reasoning for going with alpine/polk stuff is because I get a fairly descent accomodation price for them since I work for an authorized retailer. Price-wise, I'm looking at approx. $1200-1300 for the actual product.

The music I listen to is mostly country, or rock (Live, Trapt, Adema, and Disturbed are some of my favorites), with the OCCASIONAL rap music. MAYBE once a week or so.

HEAD UNIT:

Alpine CDA-7949 Pre-amp only CD player (approx $150 off of ebay)

4-CHANNEL AMP:

Alpine MRV-F540 (approx $300 my cost/ebay)

SUB-AMP:

Alpine MRD-M500 (approx $275 my cost/ebay)

FRONT SPEAKERS:

Polk/MOMO MMC460 (approx $70 my cost)

REAR SPEAKERS:

Polk/MOMO MMC690 (approx $115 my cost)

SUBWOOFERS:

(2) Polk/MOMO MM124 12' subs (approx $100 each my cost)

That puts me at a little under $1200, considering I DO go ahead and build my own sealed box thats recommended for those subs.

Do I have better/lower priced options for the sound I am looking for? Just looking for second opinions.

2. speedricer

speedricer Go SpeedRicer Gooooo

Polk/momo subs are no go.
    They are cheap bad sounding subs that are all dolled up.
    They are all show and no go.
    I would choose another brand of subs if you want sound quality. If you want cheap. Go with JL audio w0 12". They are pretty cheap but are good sound quality subs for the money.

3. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I don't know a whole lot about car audio so I can't comment on brands, but I think I'd get the nicest fronts I could afford and something really cheap, if anything, for the rears.

4. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

I'm not real sure where you have gotten that opinion from, but I have installed polk/momo series subs (both models) in various car and I can assure you definately pack a punch. I admit they aren't the same level as an IDMAX or a W7 but for the accommodation price, there isn't much that can match it (if you actually match it up right with amps and boxes and what not)

5. speedricer

It's all according to point of view. If you arn't looking for much in the bass field of your stereo then I guess they would be fine. But speaking from hearing polk/momo subs in person they are lacking in SQ/SPL. I honestly havn't heard a polk sub that I've liked. It's fine if they arn't the loudest. But I'd at least expect some good sound quality.

6. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

why not go all alpine?

7. speedricer

Type R subs sound good.
    well type S even sounds amazingly(SP) better than polk/momo

8. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

you can get much better stuff for less money but that's a perfectly decent system.