SRS So I'm torn on this whole school thing ...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blindarrow, Sep 7, 2005.

1. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

I graduated HS in 2003. I enrolled in college the first time around and just sort of half-assed it.. ended up withdrawing because I didn't think it was what I really wanted. I went off and did the whole working thing up until this summer when I realized that I didn't want to spend my whole life being someone else's bitch all the time. I re-enrolled and have tried to stay pretty serious on it.. however, old habits die hard. I've skipped a few classes, missed an assignment, and have felt myself starting to slip. I really want to do this, but I'm having trouble trying to focus on it. It doesn't help that I'm having to try and find part time work now too, so I can cover expenses and such.

How is everyone staying motivated at this? I made a "to do" list last night, and I've got alot of crap I have to do ... I felt better after I wrote it all down, because I felt like I had some order to everything at least. However, it's still pretty piled up, and I'm pretty stressed over it all.

Advice?

2. johan

johan Active Member

So you've had a taste of regular working life and it ain't to your liking and you realize school is your ticket out of that shithole. Good. And it only took you a summer to realize that.

And now you're back in school, and bored stupid. So let me ask you.
    What are you taking in school?

Maybe you might do better in a technical school? Welders make good money. (for example).

Making lists and such are a good tactical level plan for how to get through the days, weeks and months. But if you're doing college, that's four years. Make sure you spend that time wisely.

I'm talking about a higher level review of exactly WHY you're in school, why you chose whatever school, whatever major, etc etc.

Answer the bigger question first before you focus on how you're going to arrange your daily activities.

3. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

the only thing i can tell you is to find something you really enjoy and let that motivate you. some classes really suck and you have to take them but you know what? YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DO IF IT'S ONLY FOR 3 MONTHS. really, i've been in school for 4 1/2 years and i have quite a bit to go- that thought and the one about what i can do when i'm finished are the only things that keep me going sometimes. and that's okay. school is different for everyone.

good luck and keep us posted!

4. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I left school in grade 10 as I just couldn't concentrate. I then fell pregnant a few years later and told myself I had to do something with my life. So I went back to school and did year 11 and 12 in 4 months while pregnant. I then enrolled in university. I lasted two years before I realised why I left school when I did.

I am not an academic person and I never will be. I haven't been back to uni since and yet my job prospects haven't fallen

5. jeyur

jeyur cum fairy OT Supporter

i basically force myself in a way. My parnts pay for my college so I feel i dont want to waste their hard earned money and time by not getting my degree. I also see myself feeling better with a degree that I can put on my resume. I guess it's self motivation. I admit I dont have a lot of that but for school-wise, i am about to graduate so I make myself work towards that goal.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The first 2 years of a 4 year program are always the worst because you get stuck taking a bunch of general education bullshit. I had the same problem in school, I didn't care about any of the gen ed classes and I slacked off big time, for me no personal interest = no motivation.

The only advice I can give is to stick it out, it gets better. In your Junior year you get into classes related to your major and school becomes a lot more interesting. The amount of busywork drops dramatically and you tend to refocus.

7. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

I'm going for a degree in Communications. Yea, I know alot of people go for that ... however, I really do love taking ideas and producing them into a content format that people can either learn from, or be entertained from. I eventually want to direct/produce.

I don't care much for trades. I worked at a nuclear plant as a Boilermaker, which is a welder's union. It was fine, but I didn't care for it. I like building/creating things, especially when it comes to things about technology.. but that ties back into me wanting to produce content for the masses. What fun is doing a project if you can't share it with others?

So yea, I definitely have an end-goal in mind, and have been partially working towards it by trying to get entry-level jobs at local TV stations. Nothing yet, but I'm keeping at it.

Like I said, I love tech/computers, so I'm also going to try and start working towards getting some different IT/tech certifications in the next few months.

I just have motivation problems, really. What ends up happening is that I lack motivation, so I don't get things taken care of. Those things pile up, through lack of motivation (and a slight irresponsibility), and then I start getting stressed out & depressed.

Good news is that I popped off a couple of emails to professors today, and have made up for what I missed, studying-wise. The assignment I missed I was allowed to make up for less credit, but I felt 10 times better having done it. My girlfriend was the ultimate motivator for that ... she refused to do anything with me til I did it :) We talked tonight too, and she said she'd try anyway she could to keep me on-track and that she didn't want to see me fail.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I never could figure this out. To be honest, I think I woulda been much better off starting a business at 19 or 20 and fucking that up and learning alot than wasting $50K on 3/4 of a college education. Not much help here, but my point is: either do it all the way, or find something else to do. The nurturing environment of college is actually harmful if you aren't using your time wisely and getting that degree.