So I'm thinking of iPodizing my car...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IcyHot4Life, Jun 26, 2004.

1. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

check it out, thinking of making some kinda mounting bracket for the iPod in the car, then buying an iPod remote and disassembling it / soldering / hacking it so I can run cable through the steering column and install pause/play, next, prev buttons in the wheel... that way I'm not screwing with the touch-sensitive buttons on my 3G iPod while driving (it's a bitch cause once you've found the button with your fingers, you've already touched it :hs: )

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions on this project? Also, any way to integrate more control buttons into the steering wheel (menu, playlists, etc.)?

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

lemme elaborate on those plans... so far I have an iPod car charger, and since I have cassette in the car I have a cassete adapter too. The main problem I see right now is hacking the remote because it wants to use both the remote terminal and the headphone jack, but I'd want the cass. adapter to plug into the iPod.

Actually, on second thought... maybe I could buy a dock, run the car charger into the dock input, take the line out on the dock into the cassete adapter, and plug the hacked remote into the top of the iPod... hmm. Suggest stuff please :)

3. dmora

dmora Guest

Alpine make a HU that connects to the ipod. Comes with a remote.

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

not ghetto enough :) But link to HU? I wish apple would release a whitepaper on how the iPod pinout works, so I could get menu access from a remote :hs:

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Google is your friend...

http://macnn.com/news/25178

Alpine today announced it would ship its Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod (model KCA-420i) this fall with a target retail price of $100. First introduced in January 2004 at CES, the interface enables users to "experience superior sound tuning and control of their iPod music using any of Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net in-dash head units." Alpine's Interface Adapter for iPod enables users to access the in-dash receiver's exclusive Bass Engine technologies for better sound quality and control of their digital music files in the car.

The solution allows users to control iPod playback using the head unit's front panel buttons or remote; view song information (artist, album and/or song name) on the display; and easily find tracks through the receiver's Quick Search interface. Alpine is also integrating exclusive MediaXpander technology, which restores lost detail to compressed digital media, according to the company.

The adapter features a hide-away design and can be installed anywhere in the vehicle, including under a seat, in the glove box or behind the dash. A single cable connects the adapter to the Alpine head unit, while a second cable connects the adapter to the iPod through the iPod dock connector. Alpine says the the iPod then acts like a plug n' play hard drive controlled by Alpine's rotary knob control. The Interface Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery when the vehicle is powered on. The Alpine Interface Adapter for iPod will be available through Alpine Authorized Dealers early this fall for $100 and is compatible with any iPod mini (firmware version 1.1) and iPod (firmware version 2.2) with a dock connector. Alpine's 2004 Ai-Net head units, sold separately, are available through authorized dealers at target retail prices starting at $200.

6. frederick511

frederick511 Guest