So I'm thinking of getting a PDA (advice please)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Create, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Create

Create :free at last:

I am very familiar when it comes to computers and laptops, but not so with PDA's. My career has taken a bit of a turn and I am now spending alot of time on the road. It's not practical anymore to write things down and do data entry later.

So, I need some guidance on some good PDA models to look at. Here's what I got so far:

1. Windows CE: I don't have the time to learn the Palm system, nor learn the MS Office integration for Palm. I keep seeing a Windows Mobile platform but do not know what it is.

2. 802.11: I would like to be able to take advantage of wireless internet when possible.

3. Bluetooth: This is a low priority but if I did not using a physical plug/dock would be nice.

4. Price: $200 to $400. I'm aiming for the best functionality for dead center: $300.

Thanks in advance.

2. shiyan

shiyan grabbing titties in amusement parks OT Supporter

I've been doing a lot of searching myself lately...

1. Windows Mobile 5 is the latest version
    2, 3: most devices have bluetooth, higher range models have Wifi - bluetooth is very handy for accesories later on

4. 2 PDAs in that pricerange

$300 Dell Axim X51 - 3.5" QVGA screen, bluetooth + wifi

$350 Acer N311 - 3.7" VGA screen, WM5, bluetooth + wifi, but performs worse than the Dell

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  3. Daddy O

Daddy O Active Member

Acer = Crapper

Go with anything that uses the Windows Mobile Platform, although there is nothing to learning Palm (and I believe it to be a better platform).

Dell makes good equipment, as does HP. Look at both.

4. shiyan

do you know if VGA screens are a huge improvement over QVGA? been hard for me to find this out :dunno:

is Fujitsu Siemens good? I'm probably going to purchase their LOOX N560...

I'm buying a PDA for GPS use but haven't figured out whether integrated GPS chip would be better for me than a bluetooth external receiver :o

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Look into a PDA phone. Stand alone PDA's are dying a not-so-quick death. A PDA phone means one less device (and data cable and charger) to carry and more features (like access to your email from almost anywhere).

6. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

This is the way to go! Make sure it has bluetooth tho. Holding a PDA to your head to talk is kinda :ugh:.

7. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

PocketPC here. I have the PPC-6700 with the Motorola HS850 bluetooth headset and love it so far. Although I did send it flying accidentally the other night and now the speaker doesn't work. Grrr...

8. Daddy O

Daddy O Active Member

The Evil one speaks the truth. I have a Treo 650 that is Bluetooth compatible and it works great. You can add a 1 or 2 Gig ram chip to it and take all your music, e-books, etc with you. As far as GPS - I use an external, but make sure the PDA or Smart Phone is Blue Tooth compliant. Then the antennae/receiver sits on the dash and your PDA/Smart Phone can sit in the shade. IF you do not have an external antennae, you will have to leave the PDA/Phone on the dash in the us in order to receive the signal, thus, external/internal chip really doesn't matter much. What matters, is where the phone sits. With a 2 Gig Ram Chip, you can add maps of the entire US to it, although you would never need it all at one time.

I have had no experience with Fujitsu Siemens. I presume you are in Europe? If not, you may want to read this board.....

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44820&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

There seems to be some question of getting the LOOX serviced here in the US, and the importation fees may also take it out price range.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Apple Newton. Apple is always the best.

10. shiyan

yes I'm in Europe, and thanks for the info + link :bowdown:

11. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

On Topic --> Gizmos Galore

12. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

:bowdown: