GUN So, I'm thinking of getting a firearm (advice, please)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Jun 9, 2006.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

so, I'm thinking of getting a pistol for home defense, and sports shooting. I'd like to try shooting courses that require me to move around, and stuff like that.
    What's a good 'first gun' to get?
    I read that revolvers are more acurate out of the box, but I am willing to learn how to adjust a semi-automatic in order to increase accuracy.
    I don't want anything too powerful, because I think the recoil will affect my shooting enjoyment.
    Oh, yah- I live in Illinois if that makes any difference.

2. ericb

ericb New Member

Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig Sig.

Theres a reason 64% of our nations police/defense force carry Sig's.

I personally own a p228 and p229, both 9mm. But there available in .357 Sig and .40 smith and wessen too.

Great for recreational target shooting, and they are made to perfection.

www.sigarms.com

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

For home defense I put my odds on just a good shotgun.

You don't have to be as accurate in the heat of the moment, it makes an intimidating noise to any would-be intruder, and if you DO have to use it, it would stop a charging person better then a handgun.

I'm not an expert though....

4. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

My first gun was a taurus 24/7. Cheap and easy. Great comfort, and it got awesome reviews everywhere I checked. Lots of features on it too.

Also illinois has some STRICT gun laws, be sure to research them thoroughly...

5. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I have a 9 by my bed, other hand guns are in storage.

I have a shot gun behind our bedroom door for just the purpose you mentioned. It makes a very loud intimidating noise. If I heard someone load up one of those, I would be out of there in a second

6. Jaeger

Jaeger Guest

Fuck that baby chit, you're a man and need a man's weapon! :hsd:

[​IMG]

FN F2000 :naughty:

Edit: And be sure to get the Grenade Launcher accessory.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  7. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys; I'm looking at the mosquito right now (maybe with the threaded barel). It's about $150 more than I'd like to spend, but I think that the $400 price tag is worth it...

8. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

join a shooting club/take a class at your local range before buying a gun, you'll get way better advice than on OT

have you ever shot a gun before?

9. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

No, I've ever shot a gun before. Which is another reason that I need to get to a firing range. They rent guns there, right?

10. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Go to a local range and rent different brands to try them out. Buying a gun without first having shot it is like buying a car you've never seen.

There are many different brands on the market and many different calibers, most of which are great choices. It just comes down to personal preference.

You will get more info if you ask in the Weapons of Mass Destruction forum

11. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

Thanks for the tip, is there a mod that can move this thread to the WMD forum?

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Since you live in Illinois do you have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card? If not, you might as well shelf this discussion for 30-90 days while you get one. You cannot even touch a firearm or ammo without one. Hopefully you also don't live in Chicago, Cook County, or some of the other places that heavily restrict or even ban firearms.

13. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

Yah, I've got the FOID application up right now in PDF form, just need to print it out! Thanks for making sure I cover all the bases though!

14. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

thats so bogus

15. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

If there are opportunities to go to an open gun event I would recommend that. Every year down here in my state, my all the local gun clubs get together for a charity event and then I got to go shoot everything from old civil war rifles all the way up to today's full-autos. It really taught me respect for those things and I learned my own limitations.

It's usually cheap this way and you get a lot of people to talk to that can help you find what you need before you drop the cash.

16. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

wanna bet? Go to a gun store in Illinois and ask to look at a firearm. The first thing they will do is demand your FOID card. Try going to a range without one. Or buy ammo.

edit: From Illinois FOID website:

Who needs a FOID card?Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Just be glad they are processing them again. The State police decided last year that they just didn't have the manpower to process them anymore and pretty much stopped. The state legislature stepped in and passed (and overrode a veto) a bill that allows for penalties if they don't process them in time.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

A shotgun is easier to shoot than a handgun since it has a stock and a longer sight radius but at home defense ranges the spread is not large. You still have to aim to hit your target and not just shoot from the hip.

I think a slug or 00 would probably drop them better than a handgun though.

19. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The mosquitos I have heard are unreliable. In fact, every .22LR pistol I've used I wouldn't call reliable for self-defense. My Ruger 22/45 comes close but it still may FTF or FTE one out of 200/300 rounds depending on the ammo I'm using. You also don't want a .22LR for a self-defense pistol. 9mm, .40, .45, .357 SIG, etc. Nothing small.

20. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Some people are of the belief of, "it's your first gun so get something cheap." No, do not do it! A friend was wanting to get a Ruger handgun and was like, "I'll start here and get a Glock later" I was like, "The Glock is only like $200 more. Just hang on the few extra months, save up the money, and end up with the pistol you want and can train on for years instead of wasting your money on some gun you don't really want and will exchange in the future"

The accuracy between a revolver and semi is pointless for what you want the handgun for. It's actually not really that true. You want a pistol for home defense and it only needs to be "combat" accurate. A fist sized group at 10 yards is accurate enough to drop someone. Since you're wanting to shoot a lot and train, then just go with the semi-auto. Revolvers are slower to reload and don't hold as many rounds.

The best thing you can do is first go to a gun store and play around with some different guns. Ask the people that work there to show you some guns and tell them what you're looking for. Do not get pressured into buying a gun from them right away though! Go look, get the names of the pistols you like, then go do some research on them first.

Now get a yellow pages book and look up local indoor shoot ranges and ask if they have any handguns you can rent. See what they have and then go rent any of the guns you are interested in to see how they feel AND shoot in your hands.

For caliber selection the popular ones are 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. .357 SIG is starting to come around as well now. I personally would go with a 9mm. Quality self-defense ammo will put someone down if it ever does come to that event. The big deal with 9mm though is it is cheap to shoot a LOT of ammo. It also has the least recoil of the three so you don't have to worry too much of developing some sort of flinch.

There are many brands of handguns out there. Sig, Glock, HK, S&W, Ruger, Springfield XDs, Beretta, etc.

See which ones feel good to you and what you'd want to shoot a lot. If it's uncomfortable, then you won't want to shoot it. And also, when you're dry firing, at least for myself, the trigger pulls feel a lot lighter than when you're actually shooting. A really heavy trigger is going to affect your shooting. You can train past the accuracy part of it but it will hurt speed.

I also don't like DA/SA pistols. The retired police officer I was talking with today even agreed that he doesn't like them as well. I like consistent trigger pull the entire time. I'd go with a Glock or one of the SIG DAK models, though the DAK models have a long pull to them.

Edit:
    A couple links you might like:

This webpage has a lot of the state firearms laws. It's a good reference page: http://www.packing.org/

These are some articles by Massad Ayooob. He also has some good books out. Some of the articles hosted on this page are about selecting a gun and caliber. Some of them aren't but worth the read none the less.
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/ayoob_index.html

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  21. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

I have an H&K USP .40 Compact and absolutely love it. Also dig the Sig and Glock stuff as well.

22. JohnBuuu

JohnBuuu New Member

I think he means that those laws are bullshit, not that they do not exist.

For what its worth, you will be hard pressed to go wrong with any glock or sig in 9mm. It will be stone reliable, cheap ammo so you can practice alot, and managable recoil. A 9mm with propoer hollowpoints will put the hurt on anybody (coming from a diehard .45 supporter). To me, .40cal and .357 sig, both of which I shoot as well, are good calibers, but not my choice for a beginner.
    Most of this has been already mentioned, but I think it lends validity for new people to see that many with experience, agree on these points.
    Take care and happy shooting.
    John F.

23. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

ive been thinking it would be cool to have an uzi. its apparently not so accurate, but an automatic hand-gun is just so badass :mamoru:

24. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

G19 or 17 , Glock. It's 9mm and simple to use. Can't find a better gun for your purposes.

25. Daddy O

Daddy O New Member

If you don't take any advice out of this thread but one...this is the one -

Amen.

Whatever weapon you choose is one that you MUST feel not only comfortable with, but more importantly "CONFIDENT" with.

Many guys will tell you Glock's are the way to go (personally, I think they are crap.....never used one for more than 20 minutes that didn't jam). Other people will tell you Sig is a good weapon (again, not my cup of tea), and some will tell you Taurus (think cheap in price, and also cheap in manufacturing) is a good weapon. To all of these people, they believe in that weapon, thus it is their choice, and nothing wrong with that. You need to do the same thing, but the way to do it is to try each and every one out.

Some gun stores also have firing ranges with them. I suggest you find one, talk to them about what you want, and then use their range and their weapons to find the RIGHT one for you. Remember the adage "Different Strokes for different folks"? Same is true for weapons.

TEST DRIVE BEFORE YOU BUY...

BTW - My choice has always been Smith & Wesson.....certainly more expensive than most, but a quality manufacturer.......and Made in the USA. So, how much is your life worth? A couple hundred bucks difference, could make the difference. Block out the costs, find the weapon you really feel comfortable with, and then budget your resources to buy it. It may take a while, but buy the one you feel most comfortable with.

As far as the State's gun laws are concerned.....

www.packing.org is the best site for this.