MIL So i'm thinking of doing recruiters assistance...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

From what I understand, i'll get paid active duty pay, but i'll have to work like Monday-Saturday, and I heard sometimes it is like 12 hours a day.

I talked to a Corporal today at the gym and he did it, and he said all he really had to do was get in a uniform and go walking around places in public, and talk to people when they approached him.

Getting paid to walk around in my uniform? I'm thinking about it.....

Does anyone have some input on this? Experience, etc...

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I did it right after I reported to my unit.
    You are the recruiter's bitch (for lack of better word).
    If you are near a base that belongs to your branch then your job is easy and the recruiter will most likely not work you hard.

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yeah it is like 8 minutes from my house, and like 10 minutes from the recruiters station.

How would that affect me?

4. Jyokker

If your recruiter gets alot of walk-ins then he isnt hard pressed to meet his quotas each month. He doesnt have to work as hard as some recruiter in the boonies. If he doesnt have to work that hard, he most likely wont make you work that hard. I checked in at 8 each morning. I was out by 12. I lived near an AF base.

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

shit man -- did you get active duty pay for that?

6. Jyokker

Well, I am AD so YES!
    I don't know how the reserve or guard work it. But I imagine anytime you have that uniform on, you get paid.

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I'm going to call my recruiter tommorrow and ask him about that stuff. My only real concern is if I have to work like 12 hours a day or some shit.

I'm a pushover so if I don't like the hours he still will probably talk me into doing it. Crap.

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

It sounded good to me at first, but once I got there I would of much rather went straight to my unit.

I guess it depends on the RS you will be working for.

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

How were your hours?

10. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

My buddy did it during christmas so he could get leave to go home. They made guys get phone numbers or contacts. I know they hit up the malls multiple times. It didn't sound like fun at all.

11. evan2

evan2 Guest

just for you active guys you are allowed by reg to do this once a year, just need commanders to sign off on it
    so you arent missing work when they need you

i did it for 2 weeks and it was good becuase my recruiter was cool as balls and I spent a year in DEP so I got to know him really well and I was the first from my graduating class to join and eventually brought 5 dudes in my grade who asked about it in

plus others

mostly i helped others do facing movements and I gave them my skinny on basic, tried to teach them reporting statements the ins and outs

i came on on my day off before i even started to talk to all the DEP guys about basic... and what not so he gave me the last day of my time with him off

it was fun becuase i got ot wear my blues around and ran into some girls i used to know and they were like hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

the worst part was calling people and writing up like 500 envelopes

i had one cute lady come in talking about having a 4 year degree and wanting to become and officer.. about 20 minutes later shes like oh wait this isnt the army office
    I had an appt.. im like ughh did you not notice all the air force stuff around you, the big sign out front of my uniform

i had bdus but the nametags... shes like I thoguth only the army wore camo

I was like lol lady, army is next door but with a 4 year degree you need to join the af now

she didnt.. doh

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

My Army Reserve recruiter's office was in a combined Army/Navy/Marines/Air Force area in a strip mall. It wasn't immediately obvious which door the Army 'crooters were in, and I went into the Navy door by mistake. I asked him which door the Army guys were in, and he said "It's the next one down on the left. If you open the door and see a lot of slackers doing nothing, you're in the right place." :mamoru:

13. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I haven't personally done it, but before I joined my brother did it for 2 weeks. He just walked around in BDUs or Class A's and came home by 12. I would have done it after deployment, but I had too many plans... So if you've got nothing going on, go for it.

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

8 to 5'ish but they would still be like "I want 3 new heads in here by Monday"

I was like :ugh:

15. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I did it, my recruiter was cool as hell. I only worked one day, he came and picked me up and we went to a few schools then he dropped me back home. It was the easiest 2 weeks on duty ever.

16. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

Dude, youre not talking to Marines here. At least not many I dont think? Anyways, you are the recruiters bitch. And your a piffs. SO with that said, life will probably suck. I suggest signing up for the shortest amount of time you can. If you like it, I'm sure you can always "extend."