So, I'm thinking about getting Vista.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kingtoad, Mar 13, 2007.

1. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'm currently on XP, and I'm having some issues with it being "genuine". So, I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying Vista. Here's my concerns:

A co-worker told me that the driver support in Vista is absolute crap. How's the driver support in Vista? Also, I hear gaming on Vista is a complete nightmare because of the system resources required to use Vista.

Thoughts?

My computer is as follows:

AMD64 2.4ghz
    2GB pc3200
    Nvidia 7900GT
    10k RPM SATA HDD
    DFI LanParty Ultra-D Motherboard
    Audigy 2 Ex Platinum

Would there be poor driver support with my following specs? Wold I have performance issues when it came to gaming? I game in 1280x1024.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The general rule is, now that XP is a "legacy" operating system, support for it will decline over time while support for Vista increases. I'm guessing you don't have even a tiny problem with XP driver support for the hardware you have, so the real issue is whether the hardware you have is powerful enough and upgradeable enough for it to make sense to keep on using it as your primary system for more than a couple of years. If the answer is yes, then buying Vista and waiting for the patches and updates to come out will make sense; if not, you're better off using XP because by the time Vista is stable and has optimized drivers for your hardware, that hardware will be painfully obsolete.

I'm guessing, with the exception of the Audigy card, the hardware you have is either maxed out or else incompatible with future components (such as your DDR1 RAM, which won't fit on a motherboard with DDR2 slots), so I'd say you're better off buying an OEM copy of XP to use with this computer, followed in a couple of years by the purchase of a new machine that's 100% guaranteed to be Vista-compatible -- along with a patched-up copy of Vista to run on it.

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Might as well.

Where can I buy a key for XP? Software not needed.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Newegg sells em. Local store may have a deal.

Vista is junk, imo. This is the first "new" version of Windows that I haven't been excited to jump on full-throttle. It's very disappointing, imo.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

So far I agree..

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Got my OEM copy of XP. Thanks. :o

7. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

:werd:

If you're thinking about getting Vista, stop thinking about it. Not worth the price. I got it free from my school and I still think its not worth it. lol.

8. brds

brds OT Supporter

VISTA :run:.... dont do it!

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Wait...are you saying you were actually excited about ME?? :run:

lol

10. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Vista is the greatest thing ever so far. Driver support is fantastic, I didn't even have to install anything. During setup it connected to the internet and got all my authentic drivers, more up to date than the ones on my CDs anyways. My computer isn't as good as yours either, 1.5GB of RAM and 1.8GHZ. I play counter-strike and half-life 2 without trouble.

11. deusexaethera

I bet it even sucks your dick, XDude.

The question in this case was not whether Vista is newer and better than XP, but whether kingtoad's computer was worth upgrading.

12. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Put down the pipe. :) I've installed it 3 times to test with. Each one on the same PC had different errors. IE would time out in a few seconds, even before a 404 error came up. It would shut down IE without warning then once it even took Outlook with it. I have had it lock up in printer installs, a lot of external USB hardware has problems with it, etc. That's just for starters.

You can't do a "repair" from a CD like you can XP. From the CD you can have it check for problems, but it doesn't check the OS, it checks the boot sector or partition.

It runs worse with 512MB than XP does with 256MB. M$ advertises minumim specs. They really mean you're lucky if it runs on that.

It's a POS and I probably won't install it on a PC for another year.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm thinking about going to Vista too. I got a Dell XPS last November and should have my free copy of Vista in a day or 2. Worst case, I'll format and put XP back on.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I unzipped a 120 megabyte file on Vista and it took 3 hours. Something about indexing being on by default. This was on a dual core machine, late model.

My only experience with Vista, but it will certainly keep me away for a long while.

15. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well said. i am very happy with winxp. i won't get it till the DRM stuff is circumvented.

i heard you can't even play a blu-ray or hd-dvd at full resolution at this point

eventually i'll get sick of using a tivo and in 2009, who knows what is going to happen with analog cable. i might have to build a media center pc, and hopefully cablecard will be released for pcs. i might get vista then

16. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Vista sucks. I've used it quite a few times and have not had very good experiences. I installed it, shut down, then restarted, and I had a Goatse wallpaper and I didn't download any shit, and it was a legit copy of Vista Business. That pissed me off.
    I also learned that if you've got regular copies (non-corporate), you can install Vista once, then you have to buy a new copy of Vista. So unless you plan on keeping it no matter what, don't get it.

17. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

:rofl: @ goatse wallpaper

18. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

it wasn't funny at the time :wtc:
    but now it is :rofl:

lets hear it for vista's security! :ugh:

19. Keysersozeh

Keysersozeh The Devil Himself

I just unboxed my new PC with Vista Home. Not exactly too excited about it. I have 600 gigs in drive space. 2x 300 gig drives. I think I am going to cut up the partitian. How much should the OS drive have?

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no. Ever since NT Workstation 4.0 I have been a huge NT fan. Therefore, I followed updates religiously only in the NT lineup. That meant NT 4.0 > Win2k > WinXP Pro

21. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I personally would give it 10GB min.. You only need 2-4GB, however.

22. deusexaethera

It's important to leave room for service packs, updates, and fragmentation. Windows needs to be defragged once a month.

(Now that I finally understand why Linux doesn't need manual defragging, I have to say I like it a lot better.)

23. mace

mace i don't read

The new Vista window manager, explorer, networking stack, updated io, and ram caching are really worth it. It boots and is so much more responsive than XP.

It is true that Games don't run as well as on windows xp, but that's probably just because the drivers are not optimised. The NVIDIA drivers leave a lot of features out and deliver kinda poor performance. I've been able to find drivers for every piece of hardware I have except a 7 year old scanner, but that's not really microsoft's fault.

Obviously Vista is not as big of a leap from say windows 98 to xp, but I do like all the new features and system performance boost I get from it. I just wish that the nvidia drivers were up to par as the xp drivers.

That said I probably wouldn't pay for vista until at least sp1 comes out. I got my copy for free :)

24. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

Was running XPPRO that had "not genuine" issues, i installed vista last night, and now i'm back to XPPRO.

25. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

:dunno:

I've been running ultimate for a week now, no driver problems, no software complaints, and games seem to run fine on an 8800 GTS.